SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilmermer

Newly planted squash, cucumber, and musk melon sick from start.

lilmermer
8 years ago

Hello. I am container gardening on a terrace in zone 10. When I planted patty pan squash, zuch, cucumbers, and midget musk melons in March, they all did very well until the midsummer heat was unusually high for a long period of time. They had been dark green and productive. During the hot spell, all of the plants's leaves and stems turned uniformly yellow and became brittle, though they were rarely wilted in the afternoon sun. The lower leaves died. Perhaps I overwatered. No amount of compost or other fertilizer helped. Two of the plants developed clear powdery mildew, and I removed those right away, but the yellow had preceeded the PM symptoms by a full month. Ultimately I removed all of the plants. None of the roots appeared rotted, but I will admit I am a novice gardener.

In late August, I tried planting all of these again for a fall harvest. Initially I planted in containers which held different vegetables prior, augmenting the substrate with compost. Then I planted in completely new containers with completely new substrate (a mix of coconut coir and compost, the same as my initial, healthy for months, plantings in March). The results were the same for all four plants, twice over. The seedlings came up quickly, they were dark green for about one week, but then they turned uniformly yellow and brittle, with very little growth. The leaves of the squash began to curl and turn gray/brown at the edges in discreet areas. Again, the bottom leaves of the vines died, as below. None of the plants grew more than a few inches. Again, out of eight plantings, two had clear white patches of powdery mildew. The others did not, but their overall health was the same. Is it all PM, or are there more fungus/virus/etc's at work?

The blue is from my attempt at spraying a copper fungicide, but they looked this bad before that as well. This was one of my original melons. None of the new seedlings ever grew beyond 6 inches with small leaves, and they all flowered at their tiny sizes ( which I understand to mean distressed).

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Again, I am very new to gardening, especially container gardening.

Comments (7)