SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
agngg

Squash plant stem has split-help (pic)

agngg
14 years ago

Hello! I'm new to this site as well as gardening. I'm working with a bunch of containers right now but am preparing my yard for next spring. I posted this in the container forum but I wanted to ask here as well.

I have Grey Squash planted in small containers (14in long, 7 in wide, 6 in deep) I know they are too small but wanted to experiment.

They are growing well, they have buds and there has been no wilting that water has not fixed. Yesterday morning, I noticed that the stem has split open on the larger plant. And the smaller plant looks like its about to do the same.

This morning 2 male and one female flower opened. Some lower leaves are yellowing but the top look fine. I usually remove the yellow leaves.

I thought it was a vine borer at first but now I'm not so sure. No signs of bugs, eggs or sawdust. No wilting. And the stem looks hollow but not chewed.

Can this splitting be caused by stress from the small container, or weight of the leaves and flowers? Now that it is flowering, should I leave it alone or try to transplant?

Thanks for any thoughts on this!

{{gwi:28875}}

{{gwi:28874}}

Comments (9)

Sponsored