SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gottagarden

Formal House, Country Setting - which walkway hardscaping materia

gottagarden
18 years ago

After 4 years and lots of playing around in the backyard, it's time to start thinking about the front yard. My question is what to do with the front walkway. There is a side entrance that most people use, but some people come to the front entrance.

The current walkway is really nice bluestone that is 3 feet wide, 4 inches thick, and very heavy. It was improperly laid (plunked down on bare dirt) and frost heave shifts it a little more each year. If I reuse it, I will have to redo it properly, it is getting a little more hazardous every year. I know some people on this forum don't like "rules of thumb", such as a walkway wide enough for 2 people to walk abreast, but as you can see from the photo, this walkway IS too narrow for the scale of the house, and for two people.

What should I do with this walkway? I want it wider. It would be nice to reuse this lovely stone somehow, but I don't know how. Flank it on both sides with what? I think there is so much brick already, that more in the walkway would be just too much. More stone? I can't think of a way to put something on either side of the stone that would look right. Should I just remove the stone and start over? If start over, what would you suggest? I like a straight path, it suits the formality of the house.

I know I'm asking for free advice. Although I don't post much to this forum (but read it all the time), I have posted a lot on other forums over the years and have tried to help other people with questions. Do a search on gottagarden, and hopefully you'll see that I try to be a contributing member to GW.

PS - Ignore the "landscaping". The house faces north and I have just been experimenting with what plants will grow in the shady areas. The ficus trees are having a summer holiday outside. I can't put in proper beds until I get the walkway issue sorted out, because it the grass area was also improperly graded. (previous owner must have spent all his money on the house, none left over for landscaping.)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I value the input of people on this forum.

{{gwi:13424}}

{{gwi:13425}}

Comments (41)