SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

'American Country Houses of Today' (1922)

palimpsest
13 years ago

This book starts with a preface: "Here are eighty country homes selected from the best available work recently done."

----

I have a moderate collection of design and architecture books, mostly historical or current modern/minimal. This is an unabridged reprint of photographs and floorplans of houses completed around WWI-1922. As the preface indicates these are custom houses designed by architects for specific clients who could afford custom designed houses. By "country" they really mean suburban, although 90 years ago, these were much more remote suburbs than they are today--the majority of the houses seem to be L.I., and Westchester County.

So what would your impressions be of country/suburban upper middle class houses of the 1920s?

Some of your ideas are probably quite accurate: limited closet space, closed off kitchens, lots of separate rooms, vs. open floor plans. All true.

What about size of these best suburban houses? How about smallish? I am sure these were meant to represent a cross section, but the biggest houses(with a couple exceptions) are probably the size of those in a McMansion-like subdivision, and the smaller ones are Small, by todays standards. And these are the houses of Lawyers, Doctors, prominent Businessmen and wealthy widows

What did these have that modern houses don't?

Maid's quarters: even some of the smallest houses had a maids room with a second stair. How about a 2 BR + 1 maids room? One of larger houses had more staff quarters than family quarters. But it takes real estate to have a second staircase, and sometimes "back hall" in a house that isn't that large to begin with.

Small bedrooms: All but the largest houses had small bedrooms.

One bathroom or tiny bathrooms. Some of the houses with maid's quarters had two bathrooms, one for the exclusive use of the maid, one for the other four bedrooms. She ended up with more privacy than the family. But in another, the maid had to go down her stairs, through the kitchen, butler's pantry, dining room and hall to get to a powder room under the stairs---or back upstairs, not far from where she started but on the other side of "the wall" to take a bath.

Some of the larger houses still had no master suite.

One of the rather large houses, which appeared to be a weekend house, had a very unusual layout: The maid and manservant had bedrooms at one end of the house behind the kitchen etc. The maid's was in the house, the man's accessible only from a porch. They shared a toilet accessible only outside from the same porch, but in order to bathe had to use one of the bathrooms INside one of the master suites. Two other bedrooms shared this fate...no directly accessible bath.

I thought it was kind of interesting how everyone in a large household may have shared one or two small baths.

I suppose this is a big improvement over midVictorian England where the lowest servant such as a boot boy or scullery girl actually did not get meals, but was allowed to eat off the dirty plates brought in from the Dining room if they did it on the fly, and who slept at night on the floor wherever they worked in the day.

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County