SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
egyptianonion

1922 farm house landscaping

egyptianonion
20 years ago

Hi, All--

Ginger kindly made the suggestion that I could cut and paste onto my own thread what sort of got hidden at the bottom of another, so here goes the saga of my family farm, with related pictures in the gallery, q.v.

In this forum's gallery under the title, "family farm series," are shown the same site in the winters of 1915 (circa), 1929, and 1994, and the spring of 2002. (Sorry they're not in order--it's the first I've posted pictures. In fact I think I'll re-post the May 2002, now that I've learned better how to do it.)

My great grandfather purchased the farm in 1870. Don't know if he built the white clapboard house or if it came with the property. When my grandparents built the new brick veneer house in 1922, they leveled the spot for the house to sit on and made a double terrace out of the ground that used to have a gentle slope south. (Note, by the way, the pine trees in the old white clapboard picture, two of which are extant today and show up in the other pictures.) Then they planted two rows of bridal wreath at the bottoms of the terraces and another right up against the building. I didn't know about the lowest row until after I'd already begun my rainbow garden there shortly after my husband and I took over the farm in 1991. Had I known, I might have considered putting it back. (Likely would have decided to let it be.) They probably found it unhandy for taking the tractor out to the east field and for delivering coal to the east side of the house.

Ginger also had some questions which I answered, so I will cut and paste them as well.

Egyptianonion

Comments (4)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional
More Discussions