SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stimey_gw

Smart pot mix, lets have some fun

stimey
10 years ago

I posted this over in the tomato forum but was encouraged to post it over here.
I know its early and not even close to time to be setting out toms yet, my question or request is what you guys would think a good mix would be for toms in a grow bag/smart pot? My thought is a modified 511 these grow bags will be on the ground so virtually a raised bed, these smart pots are home made so they are 28" OD x 28" tall they are a heavy polyester. I am thinking of something like 5-2 Pine bark fines and DE, I am thinking I need a bit more water retention due to the hydraulic affect the ground will have on them. I am thinking of avoiding peat, not certain why right at this moment, I know DE retains moisture more the turface, I am not certain if it retains more then perlite though. I also considered 5 pine bark 1 DE and 1 perlite, I am not apposed to peat, and have multiple ingredients to work with so give me your thoughts, I have more than one smart pot so why not try two different mixes? My pine bark at the moment is whatever would go through a 3/8 screen, it is really nice looking bark with some nice fines in it. So I am looking forward to hearing your ideas. Thanks

Comments (19)