SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purplehousewy

Toms in Smart Pots with Black Gold Soil.Should I add some Coir?

purplehouseWY
10 years ago

For the last 3 years I have been growing tomatoes in 25 gallon Smart pots with Black Gold Potting soil. The plants have been healthy and crop has been good but I am watering daily several gallons of water (I know this isn't unusual for containers) and noticed on the Smart Pots website commentary about choosing a potting soil "Because the Smart Pot aerates, heavier mixes can be used. Obviously, Smart Pots filled with lighter mixes that are less water retentive may need to be watered more often." So now I have a bunch of new bags of Black Gold to replace the three year old potting soil and wondered if I should do a 50/50 mix of Black Gold with the coir from Gardener's Supply to retain a little more moisture? I had to order 3 more Smart Pots for more tomatoes so I was thinking budget wise also this may stretch my dollar a little more as well? I read about the 50/50 mixture on the Gardener's Supply blog (entry dated 2012) and that the test subjects had success. Anyone else customize their out of the bag potting soil with success?

Comments (19)