SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neon_ny

Architect Rant/Crisis - legal options?

Trey Pist
8 years ago

Hi, apologies for this obscenely long post, and thanks to anyone who gets through it... My wife and I spent the better part of last year designing a home with an AIA certified architect in NY. The relationship started to suffer when we became frustrated with his consistent unwillingness/inability to deliver what we asked for (basic things like a mud room and carport). A pattern emerged early on where he would present designs that completely threw aside what we wanted, and/or added things we didn't want (like gigantic closets, floor to ceiling unilux glass sliders, or removing the mud room altogether). When we questioned his choices, he'd throw up his hands and say "I just don't see how else it can be done." So then my wife would spend her own time solving problems for him, which she did successfully in each circumstance. He too was pleased with the solutions she came up with, why wouldn't he be, she did his work for him. Though anything of this nature is collaborative, it's fair to say my wife was responsible for 90+% of the design including original concept and layout. The architect himself said that everyone knew the house was my wife's design. Things really started to go downhill when he "disappeared" for weeks pursuing supports with the engineer we had specifically told him we didn't want. This cost us more time plus additional engineering fees. Recently we had to delay the build's start date by a few months because of financial uncertainty, and wanted to start with the accessory buildings first, working up to the main house. This was actually a suggestion the architect had made early on as a cost effective way to start building. Then he totally changed his tune and said it would end up costing us more(?). Also, we accept architects can't be held responsible for giving erroneous build estimates but his went from $250/sf to almost $500/sf--a dramatic difference--and this didn't even include finishes, accessory buildings, or landscaping. When we brought up the original $250 figure, and that we were seeing lots of new construction being built in the area for 200-300/sf, he poo pooed us, saying those houses would collapse in 5 years. Then why would he suggest 250 as a possible build number in the first place?? After a last attempt to communicate our frustrations with him (we felt he was designing for his portfolio and not for us), he went on the offensive, basically accusing us of constantly changing our minds making him do extra work that he should have charged us for--even though he told us repeatedly that we could make changes on the design to meet our budget after firm numbers came back from the builders--leading us to believe that changes due to budget were part of the overall process. Maybe that was a HUGE misunderstanding. However, he was doing exactly that until just a couple months ago, which coincided with the delay, as well as him getting more work (when we first hired him, he had no other clients on the books). He wanted to reset the proposed house cost at a higher amount, entitling him to more money. Though we were unhappy with him at this point and it definitely crossed our minds to end the relationship, we were okay with the higher estimate as long as he made the few changes he was meant to make earlier (changes that were meant to "un-change" the unsolicited changes he'd made on his own, btw). We were so close to finalizing the design, we thought it best to stick it out. He seemed happy with all this and pressed us to nail down a start date for this fall, which we did. Then about a week or so later--after agreeing to make the requested changes--he sends a legal letter stating he is terminating the contract and will no longer provide services. Completely taking us and the builders by surprise. We suspect he wasn't happy with our desire to start the accessory buildings first (wouldn't look good on his portfolio) and wants to pull the builders from our project and put them on a newer, costlier one. His official reason was because we hadn't paid the last bill (an additional 10,000 that came with the newly adjusted estimate) and delayed the project--mischaracterized in the letter as delayed on "multiple" occasions--even though he was totally fine with the situation at the time as it allowed him to start work on his own home, and he'd never had an issue with us being late on a couple occasions with the monthly fee in the past because he knew we always paid. To date, we've paid over $55,000 and aside from some zeroxed drawings, have little to show for it. This whole experience has been heartbreaking on so many levels, and has totally turned us off to hiring an architect ever again. How can a professional mislead clients into thinking a home would cost "x" amount of dollars, then say we have unrealistic expectations when bids come back way above what was projected even though we were going by the numbers he gave us, then blame us for making changes when he was the one making unsolicited changes--wasting everyone's time making revisions we'd never approve?? In a nutshell, we've paid over $55,000 for the "privilege" of designing our own home, only to have it taken from us--as the copyright is contractually owned by the architect. We walk away with a long hard year spent on designing our dream home, for the pure benefit of this architect. He secured subsequent clients using my wife's design, he continues to use the drawings of our house on his website to attract more. In one of his many random unsolicited revisions, he actually "hijacked" one of my wife's designs--removing it completely from our house for some unknown reason--only to implement her exact same design onto one of his new client's homes. Coincidence? Subconscious appropriation? Sure. Unfortunately, there is so much more... I thought this architect would have the decency to at least release the cad files to us, knowing and admitting himself that my wife was responsible for doing the majority of design. Has anyone had to seek legal action against an architect for similar reasons? We'd like to sue but the contract explicitly states mediation/arbitration as our only recourse. We realize we are fortunate to even consider owning a home when so many people aren't able to these days, but this experience has left us deeply embittered -- we feel beyond screwed by a contract naively signed in good faith that was worded entirely in the architect's favor. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and any encouraging words in favor of architects welcome too... I guess.

Comments (16)