SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mbaldauf61

It's really happening.

mbaldauf61
7 years ago

I hope this doesn't post twice. My computer did something strange so I apologize if this is a double post.

First, I want to say thank you to the many wonderful people who helped us get to this place. It's been a very slow process - much slower than our first/last build but we believe it's not in our time but all things work out to those who wait.

For those who weren't here while we began, I'll recap. I drew our original house plans but wasn't really pleased with them. People here suggested we build something with more soul and personality. Architect Runner Guy drew the most adorable cottage and I fell in love. From there it took MANY MOONS (months and months) for the draftsman to complete the plans. We found 2 builders and they came back $30,000-$40,000 over budget. We about fell over!! Builders in our area are not used to that amount of detail and the bids reflected that. It just wasn't in our budget. It took us awhile to recover from the sticker shock so we just did nothing for awhile. Then at our annual Parade of Homes we met a builder who said he'd look at our plans and help us keep within our modest budget. So a few months later we're ready to roll.

Here are the plans. These are final - so please don't give suggestions unless it's something that is urgent and needs addressing or something we can do to improve function and appeal during the build and NOT add extra cost.

I will ask about paint color suggestions. I don't like the real dreary grey colors but would be open to a blue-grey with white trim. Any ideas??

So, yes we did have to make changes but it's what we can afford. DH is legally blind and we are only financing for 20 years - plan on paying off in 10 so our payments had to be kept reasonable for us. We had to do a few things I'm not crazy about such as change the pitch on the garage but it saved us several thousand dollars. We are happy with it now. It fits perfect into the area!

It's a corner lot, approx. 2/3 acre, on a private dead end road. There's mostly weekend cottages on this road and we have lovely lake views across the street. We wanted views from the front but the garage had to be in the back which made for a long walk for guests so Architect Runner Guy added a 'friends' entry near the drive so what should be the front of the house is now a funny game for my family. "Is this the front or back?? Then where's the side if this is the front, etc." The other important piece here is I play and have a 100 year old grand piano and I wanted it showcased and in this plan as you walk in the front 'friend's' door you will see the piano and further on to the lake views.

To complicate things, we had to do a front facing drive/garage due to a huge oak tree where the drive would be plus if we did an end or back entry garage it would require lots of extra dirt work and a retaining wall which was out of budget.

So... they've started the pad and rough in plumbing!! Finally time to get excited about it.

Wishing everyone a blessed and beautiful Thanksgiving.

Sunny/Mindy

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!