SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ownerbuilder_2008

Hand Drawn Plans?

ownerbuilder-2008
16 years ago

We moved to a new state and a local Architect was highly recommended by a friend who had him design his house.

We gave him very specific plans that we did on our computer and he was going to take that and put in a blueprint format to include the roof and structural requirements.

He works for a big architectural firm but offered to do our plans at home on the side for around two thousand dollars. I was surprised when the plans were done by hand , not C.A.D. as I expected. They look very professional and complete, I know I should have asked.

My question is that acceptable today in our computer world? Should I have them redrawn in a C.A.D. program?

Should I expect more unforeseen issues than usual with hand drawn plans?

Some of the changes we had him make he just changed by writing the change on the plan and did not change the scaled drawing as the change did not change the footprint. He said the subs do not look at the plan with a ruler but build by what is written on the plan???

What would you do, Should I be so concerned or is the normal procedure. I have just retired and I will be on the site all day every day to keep an eye on things as we owner build.

Comments (8)