SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

How to be your own general contractor... any advice???

Stacey Collins
15 years ago

Hi folks- I am new to this forum but have really enjoyed other forums on GW, so here goes:

We bought a 1950's ranch last fall with the plan to renovate and add a bathroom and bedroom. Our move here was mainly for the school system, and the master plan is to sell in 3 years (if housing market improves). The house is in an EXCELLENT neighborhood so we can/must do a fairly high-end reno. But we are on an extremely limited budget. We think (hope!?!?) we can do it though.

We rehabbed a 1926 colonial, mostly DIY, with great success over the last 10 years (just sold it for more than asking). We also completely rebuilt a 40-foot systems-heavy cruising sailboat, all DIY. I taught myself marine electrical and plumbing for that one. We also have 4 architects as family members and close friends, so lots of good advice available. And DH is a marine systems tech and very, very handy with all systems, tools, and woodworking.

Hopefully we are not crazy, but the plan is to GC this ourselves, as well as do all of the plumbing and electrical, insulation, and interior and exterior finish work. I figured if I could GC the boat project, source materials, and plan everything, this couldn't be that much worse.

Now I am starting to feel overwhelmed!!! I have so many questions, and could really use some advice. If you've read this far, thank you!

here's where we are now:

-After many false starts and revisions, the basic plan is decided on: we will build up to add about 625 sf, remove two bearing walls on the first floor, and rebuild enclosed sunroom. We can't afford to finish all of that this year, so we hope to get the first floor (including new kitchen) finished, and the new second-floor weathertight. (We'll pick away at flooring, sheetrock, trim, bath fixtures, etc over the next year as we're able.)

-Structural engineer is coming over this week to confirm that the foundation is OK for this plan, and check my framing, LVL beam sizes, etc.

-Then we'll get bids from builders. We would like to hire someone (or different people) to do:

1) remove existing masonry exterior bearing wall and interior bearing wall; replace with LVL/columns.

2) demo sunporch walls and roof, and existing roof over portion of house we're building onto

3) rebuild sunporch walls (re-using windows) and build new second-story exterior walls, interior walls, roof (trusses), install windows, all roofing. All to weathertight.

4) Build new staircase to second floor.

Our budget for that work is about $20k, including materials. Is that entirely crazy?

We will be sourcing windows and doors from overstocks, craigslist, building surplus stores, etc. so we hope to save some $$ there. Also we hope that by sourcing materials ourselves we will avoid the contractors' mark-ups. I am willing to do the research and legwork for that savings.

Any advice on getting bids at this point?

Any other thoughts or advice??

Also- I have heard that lumberyards will often do framing plans for you. Has anyone done this? How finished of drawings do I need to bring to the lumberyard to get materials estimates and framing plans? I did some drafting in an architecture office for a couple of years when I was in college, so I have been making resonably legible hand-drawn plans and drawings, but if the lumberyard will do framing plans I would certainly rather they do them than me!

Thanks for listening :)

Comments (5)