SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lyfb

What comes first firm cabinet plans or electrical?

Lil B
14 years ago

Framing is finished on our custom house, windows and exterior doors set, and plumbers and electricians are actively working. I'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed about finalizing the placement of all electrical plugs/switches that is scheduled to take place early next week. The electrician told me that they are putting in the boxes per the electrical plans and per code as is, then we will walk the job with him early next week for final changes. Because we hurried the plans through to get to bank closing, GC told us we could work out kinks like electrical placement in the field.

Part of my uneasiness comes because I do not have a set of final cabinet CADs from the cabinetmaker that we will most likely use. I do have a preliminary set of cabinet CADs from a different cabinet maker that was trying to get our business. (I do have some changes to make, but nothing major.) Since then, GC has talked to another maker (their regular guy). For reasons beyond my control, the process has drug out over a month. Now the salesman has a family emergency, and I've been told it will be another 1 -2 weeks before I can meet with him.

How important is the timing and finalization of your cabinet CADs with thinking through your electrical plug/switch layout?

We will have a number of built in adjustable shelves (office and breakfast room). I also have an area with a built in desk/drawers with a knee space. It's not the normal wall plugs in bedrooms that is concerning me...it's the plugs in the shelving/bookcases.

I do have a good idea of cabinet layout from my draft CADs, but it is likely the CADs are not from the cabinet guy that will be used. Should I be concerned at all?

Thanks for the feedback.

Comment (1)