SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_954691394

Help with kitchen design! Prep sink vs pot filler??

HU-954691394
14 days ago

Hello! I am currently designing a kitchen for a new build and received a first draft from cabinet maker below. I'm also attaching final kitchen floor plan which had some tweaks made after the initial kitchen design. Here are some changes to be incorporated in next kitchen draft: 1) The windows on either side of the range to be 30" wide and closer to the range so adding cabinets on either side of these windows. Should I do cabinet towers or regular floating upper cabinets here? 2) Doing three 30" windows above the sink and therefore thinking no cabinets on either side of those windows for a cleaner look. 3) I currently have an 8' island in floor plan and 4'4" on either side of island so I'm thinking to increase island to 8.5' or 9' which seems like our cabinet guy already has in design. It seems like any more than 4' of aisle is too much and would welcome a bigger island.

The most pressing question is whether I want to add a prep sink to island or pot filler so I can plan for plumbing before construction starts soon. I like the idea of a clean island for entertaining and prep space but had been reading about the kitchen triangle and mine seems quite wide. We are a family of 5 and work from home so we always seem to have a lot of dishes in our sink so a prep sink may be nice. I also want to do an undercounter water filter so if prep sink is added is that where filter should go? Where would you put the prep sink in island? Do people prefer pot filler vs prep sink? Pot filler would allow me to keep a clean island.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments (32)