SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chaparral_gw

30' or 36' range on 11' 6' wall, and pot-filler or not?

chaparral
12 years ago

Hi--

Greatly appreciating help so far. Here's another question--2, in fact...

We are putting a gas range one the end of our U. There will be a sink on each leg of the U flanking this, and the fridge on the opposing wall. The total length of the wall is 11' 6". Given 36" corner base cabinets at each end, that leaves a total of 5' 6" for base cabinetry and range.

Take away the 3' for a 36" oven and we are left with 30" for base cabinetry, so we could fit 2 sets of 15" drawers. Altogether there would be about 4' of landing on each side of the range.

Or if we put a 30" range in, then we would have 36" left for base cabinetry which provides a bit more flexibility with 2 x 18" units--whatever they are.

I have read the threads about 36 vs 30-- in particular this helpful one:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0109285517311.html

pro's for 36: wow factor, extra burners on top, bigger oven, perceived value for resale re/ "gourmet" kitchen

cons for 36: takes longer to preheat, big budgetary leap from 30, takes away storage space

pro's for 30: lots available so better value available, easier to find replacements, allows for ore storage, quicker pre-heat in oven

cons for 30: tight range at times, reduce perceived value of kitchen? (neighborhood dependent)

Also, due to layout indecision early in the process, we ended up with an extra cold water feed (but no drain) right where the oven will be. So we can put a pot filler in there, though frankly it's probably redundant due to the other sinks.

We are putting a lot of money into this remodel.--er-- rebuild -- that is essentially a new very modern looking house on the front of our property, and retaining the rear (kitchen, family room office) and side area (2 kids bedrooms). Adding solar, graywater, and rain collection while we're at it.

Here are a couple virtual views with the same generic range resized in my Interior Design layout program.

Don't pay attention to the specific selection of cabinets (yet)--

30" range:

36"

Specific questions:

1) do you think the 36 looks too big for that wall?

2) should I skip the pot-filler, or would this be perceived as a plus down the line if/when we decide to sell (no iminent plans)? We eat pasta a couple times a week but the prep sink isn't too far away.

My gut feeling is either:

36" + pot filler --or--

30" without pot filler

If we went with 30" I might go for a speed oven rather than a simple microwave somewhere. Budget wise I would be a bit hard pressed to spring for both a 36" stove and a $2000 speed oven.

Meeting with cabinet maker soon and need to cut hole for vent so need to nail this down.

Thanks again!

Comments (18)