Grocery DEALS or I cooked/ate this because I found it on sale.....
5 months ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (18)
Related Discussions
Used tissue found in grocery bag today...advice?
Comments (66)I known people in the refrigeration business (they see the real gross stuff) and in the restaurant business. My own brother was a cook for a very well known Bay Area chain for 19 years. My son is good friends with the head chef of a very high end San Francisco restaurant. I've been in many a restaurant kitchen. I'm also the type of person who sees things around me that most people miss. Believe me if some of you really saw/knew what goes on in the restaurant biz you would never eat out. Some of the priciest places can be the worst. Some dives can be the cleanest. It all depends on the owner and management. Larger areas haven't got nearly enough food inspectors to keep up. Even when citations are given they only have to fix them for the recheck and then most places know the inspector won't be back for a year or more. It really comes down to the ethics of the owner/manager and cook who runs the kitchen....See MoreWhat foods/dishes do you not cook because...
Comments (45)To be fair, most of my meals are pretty simple since it's normally just me. There's not a lot I couldn't or wouldn't cook, and there will always I'm sure be things I will want to try, though I don't delve particularly heavily unless I am having guests. My biggest impediment in the past has been feeling at once overwhelmed by extremely long ingredient lists in recipes, and sometimes by trying to figure out what some of that stuff is and where to find it, but I've tried to work on that and educate myself over time. I buy a lot of rotisserie chickens at Albertson's (most stores have them but I like theirs best), from which I can get several nice meals of varying types. I don't know if these are sold as "loss leaders" or fall in line with pricing of other items, but for what they cost I'm not going to put forth the effort or turn on the oven or invest in one of those Ron Popeil chicken cookers. I have found that I don't like purchased "red sauce" (eaten with pasta for a simple, quick workday meal) regardless of how I may try to doctor it so I make it, which is easy and keep it on hand that way. I go only rarely to any sort of notable steak house, but enjoy steak once in a while beyond that and am quite satisfied with what I can turn out with my All Clad grill pan at not that much cost purchased at a sale. I was surprised at the number of people who don't do rib roasts. They're not cheap, but they're very easy and if you have red meat eaters they make a really elegant special occasion meal. Baking of any kind I could do night and day and never tire of it. I'd like to learn more of the aesthetic aspect of it. Cooking is fine and I like it, though if I met up with a guy who liked to cook, I'd hand over the reins and never give it another thought, but I'd always continue with the hobby of baking....See MoreWhat was the biggest mistake you've found at a grocery checkout?
Comments (42)You can sure tell by some of the postings who has never worked in retail! LOL Anyway, I'm occasionally mis charged and if I catch it I try to speak up whether it's over or under. but if I get home and didn't have an item, I seldom go back, especially for an item that's $1 or so. Not worth my time and gas. Cashiers and even managers CANNOT change the computer at the cash register in large chain stores so they're not being indifferent or apathetic, they're just doing their jobs. Most all large chains have people in charge of pricing and they're NOT at the stores 24/7 so they can't go running to them to update the erroneous price so give them a break. There's a certain store I won't name but has a big W in it that is notorious for bagging problems. I always check and double check that spinner thing, I've seen too many times where I didn't get all my bags and it's annoying. And I've arrived home with an air freshener I didn't buy but was in there. I'd give it back if I was at the store but won't drive back to give it to them. Another reason I like self checkout. The paying out of pocket for shortages thing: Mostly hoax. Some places might try it but most places it's illegal. One place I worked tried to do that to the cashiers and I had to go to battle with them reminding them of the liability they could face. So they changed their policy to the employee has to "find" the shortage or be suspended when the shortage was over $20. The idea that ringing things in for a higher price is a way of theft doesn't work either since they're accountable for what's rung in so the overcharge would be a shortage if they tried to take it. I do like stores like Menards, Target and even Walmart for having price scanners so you can see what will ring up at the register. I check a lot of things. And there's a lot of things that have no shelf tags, which is employee laziness....See MoreHave YOU found any bargains/deals? Clothes? Groceries?
Comments (25)I went to Payless Shoes last week and found a pair of black clogs on sale for $27.00 regular $54.99. When I went to pay, I asked the cashier if they still took AMA for an additional 10% off. She said no, as the shoes were only $10.00. She told me that any shoes with a red tag were $10.00. I told her to hang on a minute and went back and found a pair of sandals, then grabbed a pair of earrings and a necklace. Total price for everything was $27.01. Then I went to the Goodwill store and found a brand new winter jacket (still had the tag on from the original store) for $7.00, but it had a green tag and it was green tag day so the jacket ended up costing me $3.50. Next, stopped at Penningtons because I needed a belt. Found one I liked for $24.99 and went to pay, cashier said that will be $1.04. What??? She said it rang up at $0.99. So, all in all a good shopping day for me....See More- 5 months ago
- 5 days ago
Related Stories

FUN HOUZZEverything I Need to Know About Decorating I Learned from Downton Abbey
Mind your manors with these 10 decorating tips from the PBS series, returning on January 5
Full Story
ANTIQUES10 Tips for Scoring Deals at Estate Sales
An admitted estate sale junkie shares her secrets for finding treasures at bargain prices
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNWhy Your Kitchen Wants Its Own iPad
Cooking-school gateway, recipe database, foodie networking ... an iPad in the kitchen has uses far beyond being a message center
Full Story

DECORATING GUIDESThe Dumbest Decorating Decisions I’ve Ever Made
Caution: Do not try these at home
Full Story
KITCHEN COUNTERTOPSWhy I Chose Quartz Countertops in My Kitchen Remodel
Budget, style and family needs all were taken into account in this important design decision
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOME12 Very Useful Things I've Learned From Designers
These simple ideas can make life at home more efficient and enjoyable
Full Story
LIFEThe Polite House: Do I Have to Display Decor Given to Me as a Gift?
Etiquette columnist Lizzie Post tackles the challenge of accepting and displaying home decor gifts from frequent visitors
Full Story
LIFEWhat I Learned About Moving a Loved One to a Retirement Home
Setting up an elderly family member’s apartment in an assisted-care facility is a labor of love for this Houzz writer
Full Story
BATHROOM MAKEOVERSWhat I Learned From My Master Bathroom Renovation
Houzz writer Becky Harris lived through her own remodel recently. She shares what it was like and gives her top tips
Full StorySponsored
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations


Fun2BHere