Used tissue found in grocery bag today...advice?
16 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (66)
- 16 years ago
Related Discussions
If the grocery stores no longer had ANY bags .....
Comments (29)Here in Montreal, over the last year, there has been a seachange from disposable to reusable bags in grocery stores. One store started providing high quality cloth (or plastic-impregnated strong paper) reusable bags for a dollar. The bags were so gosh-darned useful that people started buying them and using them not just for groceries, but for carrying stuff all over the place, advertising the name of the store as they went. The other stores quickly got involved, and started competing to make more and more attractive ones, so it was their bag that was being carried, not the competition. The plastic bags are still available for people that want them, but carrying one makes you a pariah on the street. This time last year, you would see hundreds of those bags stuck in trees and streetlights, breaking down in alleys and filling trash cans. Not any more - the combination of real utility (the bags are actually very good - I use them to carry things to work, for luggage, in the garden, lugging tools in my workshop, and for storage when homebrewing), low cost (the bags are printed with the store's name, so it's free advertising) and social stigma seems to have corrected this problem in a very big way. One unexpected problem that has arisen is that I used to use those plastic bags as trash bags. Now, I find myself buying real plastic trash bags, which is a habit I have to break....See MoreNeed ideas for re-usable grocery bag storage
Comments (34)I keep plastic bags tucked into empty paper tissue boxes. I find the "boutique" size is the easiest to store. Then I scatter them around the house in bathrooms, closets,etc and in the car. A surprising number of plastic grocery bags can be stuffed into one empty tissue bag. Years ago I bought a bunch of little plastic trash cans that are made to reuse plastic grocery bags. A link for something like them is below. I'll be the first to admit, they are not "decorative" but by now, everyone "gets" the point. I can loop 4 or five bags in each can, one inside the other. It makes it so easy to collect the trash from bedrooms, bathrooms, the office and laundry room. Here is a link that might be useful: Trash can for reusing plastic grocery bags...See MoreTrash holders for plastic grocery bags?
Comments (15)It looks like the last few are just for storing the bags. The IN-BIN and the ones kris_ma and lawjedi suggest actually hold a bag open so you can use it as a small trash can. Here's the one lawjedi mentioned: The IN-BIN was especially cool because it could hook over the cabinet door or drawer in addition to hooking on its hanger. I kept it on my sink cab door on the inside -- open the door and there's your trash. If I was prepping and wanted a handy nearby trash, just pick it up and hang it from any top drawer. Instant trash bag that you could just sweep stuff off the counter and into the trash (lid was removable). The washable cloth cover made it look reasonably presentable as well. Here's one with a hook that preserves that functionality: but doesn't have a lid, a cover, nor (I assume) any hardware to make a fixed mounting point inside a cabinet (you'd always have to hang it over a door unless you kludge something up)....See MoreHave You Found Any Bargains At the Grocery Lately?
Comments (14)The best deals I've seen lately is laundry detergent. We have two grocery stores in town, one a big box, but they do compete on soft drinks and a few other items. The smaller store often has better quality fresh fruits and vetables. Last week at Piggly Wiggly, found a special on laundry detergent: $2 for a medium size jug, normally goes for $5 to $8. Bought 2 jugs. Had been buying at Sams Club, but these prices were better cost per ounce. This week, the big box store, Pick'n Save, countered with same size detergent at $2 per jug, a different brand than the other store. Gonna buy 2 more jugs tomorrow. Won't need any more for a few months. I haven't found any bargains in tree nuts. These have been going up steadily in price since mid-last year. Two yeara ago, I could buy a 2 lbs can of mixed nuts (50% peanuts) for $10; this week the price went up to $13 when on sale, regular price: $14. Peanuts are still reasonable, but also creeping upward. Yesterday, I came home a bit miffed. I decided to pick up a loaf of rye bread to go with sliced ham. Wow, a small loaf was expensive, and then I spied a local brand, loaf same size as regular and lower cost. It had blazed in big letters on the end of the wrapper, RYE. I perchanced to read the ingredients. Guess what - no rye flour, dust, or anything. How can they get off putting RYE in bold letters on the wrapper when there is no rye in the bread??? I think it was wheat flour, a little Barley, and rye flavoring. Paahhh!...See More- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
- 16 years ago
Related Stories

REMODELING GUIDESYou Won't Believe What These Homeowners Found in Their Walls
From the banal to the downright bizarre, these uncovered artifacts may get you wondering what may be hidden in your own home
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESOne Guy Found a $175,000 Comic in His Wall. What Has Your Home Hidden?
Have you found a treasure, large or small, when remodeling your house? We want to see it!
Full Story
BATHROOM DESIGNDreaming of a Spa Tub at Home? Read This Pro Advice First
Before you float away on visions of jets and bubbles and the steamiest water around, consider these very real spa tub issues
Full Story
LIFEGet the Family to Pitch In: A Mom’s Advice on Chores
Foster teamwork and a sense of ownership about housekeeping to lighten your load and even boost togetherness
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESContractor Tips: Advice for Laundry Room Design
Thinking ahead when installing or moving a washer and dryer can prevent frustration and damage down the road
Full Story
DECLUTTERING10 Types of Clutter to Toss Today
Clear the decks and give the heave-ho to these unneeded items
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDES11 Wonderful Ways to Use Wool Around the Home
Natural and durable, wool is a stylish and practical choice for upholstery, rugs and bedding
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOME12 Very Useful Things I've Learned From Designers
These simple ideas can make life at home more efficient and enjoyable
Full Story
INSIDE HOUZZUsing Houzz: Create a Home To-Do List
See how to use an ideabook to keep track of your home projects this year
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESPractical New Uses for 23 Old Things
Junk? What junk? Those things cluttering up your storage space are home solutions waiting to happen
Full StorySponsored
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida


angelaid