What was the biggest mistake you've found at a grocery checkout?
10 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (42)
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Discussions
Used tissue found in grocery bag today...advice?
Comments (66)I known people in the refrigeration business (they see the real gross stuff) and in the restaurant business. My own brother was a cook for a very well known Bay Area chain for 19 years. My son is good friends with the head chef of a very high end San Francisco restaurant. I've been in many a restaurant kitchen. I'm also the type of person who sees things around me that most people miss. Believe me if some of you really saw/knew what goes on in the restaurant biz you would never eat out. Some of the priciest places can be the worst. Some dives can be the cleanest. It all depends on the owner and management. Larger areas haven't got nearly enough food inspectors to keep up. Even when citations are given they only have to fix them for the recheck and then most places know the inspector won't be back for a year or more. It really comes down to the ethics of the owner/manager and cook who runs the kitchen....See MoreWhat is the biggest reason you went to a big box store?
Comments (32)I take forever to do most things, especially when spending money, since I only want to do them once with no regrets. I met a gal from a local kitchen place at a building show, and made an appointment with her to discuss the kitchen for my new house. It became very apparent that she wanted to zip through everything, and she was on a commission. I had an appointment with a kitchen designer at the lumber yard we used in our build (professional, but not very personal), and spent some time in a couple of other local kitchen design businesses (one never got back to me, and the other wouldn't let me look at the cabinet catalog on my own). I then went to HD, where I could make as many appointments as I needed to make up my mind, get printouts of the design and a detailed price list of every item every time, and I never felt rushed. We'd used a different HD for an earlier kitchen remodel (I had to keep checking the order, since at the time their old computer design program had some defaults it kept throwing in--also, the gal kept getting interrupted because she had to answer the phone several times, so that probably caused some of the mistakes). But answering the phone seemed to cause interruptions for kitchen designers in every place. My son used a 3rd HD when I helped him remodel his kitchen, but he used a local flooring place nearby. In all 3 Detroit metro HDs (and a Lowes), I'd spent a fair amount of time wandering around the kitchen department overhearing the salespeople working with other customers, So I knew who the knowledgable salespeople were when I got ready to choose the ones for us. Long after each kitchen was finished, these salespeople would still stop and have a brief friendly conversation when I was in their HD. At the non-HD places, I don't think anyone would have recognized or acknowledged me again, because they were always too busy. It may sound odd, but my 3 big box people seemed more neighborly (not a requirement for a kitchen designer, but nice nonetheless!), in spite of what you might expect to be an impersonal large store. We got all of our appliances at HD, because they were the only place that had the new GE induction cooktop to look at when it first came out (I never did see it at our local high end appliance stores), and we got a great price on it, plus a GE discount on the rest of the Profile package. We did use 2 different local businesses for our countertops, since both had been recommended by people we knew, and they both had lots of choices that the big boxes didn't have. We used a local flooring place, because they had choices of every cork manufacturer, and let me bring as many samples home as I wanted to! No other store could match this. They cost more, but we were willing to pay for the service I'd gotten. Bought the door/drawer pulls at Restoration Hardware. Bought the tile from local stores. So, in a nutshell, I looked at everything every place, but choice, service, price clarity, and the ability to take my time and look at everything, comfortably without feeling like I was using a salesperson's precious time, determined where I bought all of my kitchen things. Anne...See MoreMistakes you've made, ie, WHAT WAS I THINKING?!
Comments (61)Never plant the tall Mexican ruellia in Houston! ( I like the short clumping Katy ruellia.) That plant is the curse of my garden. My master gardener friend gave me on purple and one white. the purple has marched more than 1/2 way around the fence borders. She failed to mention that she pulled them all the time and her many paved pathways helped to keep them contained. I sprayed it with Round Up and it shot seeds at me and made popcorn sounds. (That hurt, too!) They grow 7 ft tall in up through my lemonade honeysuckle vine and laugh at me over the tops of the suburban fences. I have pull and paid others hundreds of dollars to pull and they keep coming back, since they also send out awful runners. This plant survived the poison ivy and brush killer and Ground Clear, as did wedellia. The wedellia was gone for three year, cam back and jumped to another bed. I would pour gasoline on them both if I knew that would kill them. The wedellia roots where it the leaf nodes touch the ground and smothered my daylilies....See MoreWhat is the MOST stupid thing you've done in your garden?
Comments (57)I'm so glad your dog is doing well and seems to be well on the road to recovery. We've had several cats bitten by copperheads and rattlers, and most of the dogs survive (even without a trip to the vet) and most of the cats do not. When we have a dog bitten on the snout, we immediately give it Benadryl (we keep the children's liquid type on hand so we can squirt it in their mouth with a medicine dropper) to prevent swelling. We do the same thing with a bite on the paw, where swelling could cut off blood circulation. Our big Rottweiler/Retrieve mix, Duke, was bit on his snout just above his nose by a timber rattler one day while Tim was at a fire on the interstate. He weighed 115 lbs. I managed to get him up close to the house, which was about 300' from where he got bit, but couldn't get him up the steps as he was getting glassy-eyes and woozy. I called Tim and he said he'd rush home as quickly as possible after they got the fire out and he told me to try to hold Duke upright because he felt like if Duke fell over, we'd lose him. I agreed because it seemed Duke was going into shock and fading fast. So, I sat there with that big dog leaning on me until Tim got home and gave Duke the Benadryl. Within a few minutes, you could see an improvement in his condition. He didn't eat for several days, but we got water into his mouth (with a turkey baster) and he slowly recovered. I had been so afraid that the swelling near his nose would interfere in his ability to breathe. We still have one living cat who survived a snake bite from a copperhead more than 10 years ago. It probably was closer to 12 or 13 years ago. His name is Shady (he had a brother named Slim and their mother was named Emimem after her father Emmit, lol) and after he was bitten, a circular copper-colored rash formed around the area on his body where he was bitten. That rash took months to fade, and hair never has covered over the scarred area. We never thought at that time that Shady would outlive his brother and his mother because his health was just pitiful for the longest time. He couldn't or wouldn't eat, and when he ate he didn't gain wait. Ultimately he made a full recovery but I bet it was a year or longer before it seemed like he was finally eating normally and gaining wait again. He's about 15 years old now and has no problem gaining weight at all. After Duke's rattlesnake bite, he was suspicious of anything snakelike for the rest of his life, and he was very cautious, so he did learn from it. He hated water hoses because he thought they might be snakes. He hated to walk past the place where he was bitten and would make a wide circle around that spot instead of walking right past it. I loved Duke and he was a great, faithful companion for many years. , We lost him to heart failure earlier this year, but he lived at least another 8 years after the snakebite and I was grateful for that. We had one cat, Spots, survive being bitten twice by a copperhead, about two or three years apart. The vet said a second bite likely would kill her but it didn't. A couple of years ago our mama cat, Ranger, got bitten in the head/face area and was nearly paralyzed. There is no reason she's still alive except that we had a cat specialist vet who simply would not give up on her. He kept her at the vet hospital for about a week and did everything under the sun to save her. He worked a miracle with her and saved her life and restored her health. I am so grateful for him, and it was worth every nickle because she's a very good cat who means a lot to us. He also did not charge us an arm and a leg for all the careful, time-consuming care that he gave her. Even after he finally let her come home, her face was paralyzed for weeks and she couldn't close her eyes. He told us he thought that the paralysis would fade, but he wasn't positive it would as he'd never seen a case exactly like hers. Eventually it did fade, though. For a while, she looked kind of like one of those Hollywood people who'd had a facelift that arched their eyebrows way too high to be real, you know, , but eventually the paralysis faded and her face returned to normal and she no longer looked like an aging Hollywood star with a face that is, um, abnormally tight. She'd go to into a closet so she could sleep, eyes open, in relative darkness, and I wouldn't let her go outside since she couldn't blink her eyes. I think she stayed paralyzed for at least a month, and didn't go outside until late fall after the snakes were hibernating for the winter. We try to teach our animals not to stick their heads into tall weeds or something where they cannot see if there's a snake there, but you know how animals are...the minute you turn your back, they are off in the tall grass in the fields where they shouldn't be. One year I walked outside and there was a timber rattler coiled up underneath the big pecan tree, with five cats sitting around it like Cub Scouts at a campfire. It was a horrible sight and I thought all 5 of them were about to get bitten. I got as close to them as I could and started throwing whatever I could find....a chicken feeder, a bucket, sticks, etc. at the cats to drive them away from the snake. I was calling them by name but they were mesmerized by the snake and were totally ignoring me. Then a neighbor came over and shot the snake. By then, I had the 5 cats safely indoors. How we got through that incident without a single cat being snake-bitten amazes me, and I felt bad for the snake....it had restrained itself and not harmed anyone but had to be shot anyway so it couldn't come back another day and maybe bite someone that time. It wasn't off in some obscure spot where you'd never encounter it again. It was right in the yard where we all spend a lot of time. Having venomous snakes around is just a nightmare. If I could change anything about living here in such a natural, wild location, it would be getting rid of the venomous snakes. A great local remedy for feeding an ailing pet after it is snakebitten is to mix together a raw egg and bacon grease and feed it to them. The family that farmed the land we now own used to do that when their animals were snakebitten. I try to feed it to the cat or dog as soon as possible after they are bitten. I don't think anything about it saves them from the venom or anything. Rather, it seems more likely that the bacon grease merely tempts them to eat the egg and the egg provides protein for them at a time when they don't feel like eating very much. I have noticed that if a snakebitten animal won't eat the bacon/egg mix, they are less likely to survive the snakebite, but then maybe that's just because their reaction to the venom is so strong that nothing would save them anyway. We have had friends whose expensive competition dogs have been bitten by rattlesnakes and they did not survive even with veterinary care. Sometimes the bite is just too much for the pet to overcome, the venom too strong or in such quantity, the location of the bite, etc, being something that cannot be overcome. One friend of ours, many years ago, took her two dogs to a snake aversion course offered at a local junior college near her. They used shock collars to train dogs to stay away from snakes. That may seem cruel to some, but its goal is to save the dogs lives by teaching them to avoid snakes. Her two dogs were her babies and she lived in a rocky area filled with snakes, so she was doing what she could to keep them safe....See More- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Stories

DECORATING GUIDESFrom Queasy Colors to Killer Tables: Your Worst Decorating Mistakes
Houzzers spill the beans about buying blunders, painting problems and DIY disasters
Full Story
MOST POPULARSo You Say: 30 Design Mistakes You Should Never Make
Drop the paint can, step away from the brick and read this remodeling advice from people who’ve been there
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDES7 Major Decorating Mistakes and How to Avoid Them
Gain confidence to start your interior design project with this advice from a professional designer
Full Story
BATHROOM DESIGN5 Common Bathroom Design Mistakes to Avoid
Dodge blunders in toilet placement, shower type and more, and see examples of how to get your bathroom right
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESThe Dumbest Decorating Decisions I’ve Ever Made
Caution: Do not try these at home
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESOne Guy Found a $175,000 Comic in His Wall. What Has Your Home Hidden?
Have you found a treasure, large or small, when remodeling your house? We want to see it!
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNThe 4 Things Home Buyers Really Want in Kitchen Cabinetry
For the biggest return on your kitchen investment, you've got to know these key ingredients for cabinetry with wide appeal
Full Story
LIFE13 Ways to Keep the Peace With Roommates
A few ground rules will help you sidestep conflicts over dirty dishes, laundry, decorating, groceries and more
Full Story
FURNITUREDecorating 101: How to Shop for Furniture
Learn what furniture to get rid of, what to look for when buying, and how to avoid mistakes
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESGetting the Room Right: Part I
Great Spaces Show How to Avoid the Top 10 Decorating Mistakes
Full Story
jim_1 (Zone 5B)