A new year , a new reading list !
last year
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (72)
- last year
- last year
Related Discussions
New Zealand, New Day or New Year?
Comments (17)I am a newbie so not much help, but I did grow New Day last year and LOVED it. It looks like it made it through the winter with some die back but I did not winter protect at all (with last year being my first year I just kind of wanted to see what would happen and what would survive, I do plan to winter protect this year) Here are two New Day blooms in a bouquet with Double Delight, Headliner, and a few other soft pinks (probably Bewitched) and Lady X. If New Day had not made it through the winter I would definitely be replacing it because of the few yellows I planted last year this one was the prettiest with beautifully shaped blooms. I am no help with New Zealand, just looked it up on hmf because of all of the praise in this post, it does look like a nice soft baby pink and I would love to add it at some point. You'll have to keep us posted how it turns out if you decide on that one. New Year has always looked pretty to me on hmf, I bought one last year but it was mislabeled. I just bought one this year so hopefully I can give it a go. Never thought I would enjoy those oranges as much as I did last year since I'm a soft colors fan, but I really wanted to give New Year a go and couldn't pass it up when I saw it last week in one of those bagged pots. We'll see. Thanks for your suggestion to not dig up stuff so early in that other post about SPing. I had no idea that some could show life as last as June, and that if it did come back I could replant deeper. I thought it was done when that bud union went through one of our winters above ground! Fortunately I only pulled out a few that showed no life but the rest I'm iffy on I will leave in and let spring work its magic....See MoreNew year and considering a new market
Comments (14)I am worried that if I go to the larger market that I will lose my niche as a small organic grower and not be able to compete with the other small growers. Ever wonder why every city has "dealer's row" ... a couple of miles of car dealers, side by side? It helps comparison shopping and increases sales for all of them. Same with the larger market - you will be one of many organic growers, but will have far larger numbers of people looking for what you are selling. it's a 'watering hole" and you benefit from the others. Keep your competitive edge by working on being the FIRST with something popular, or by offering less common items. One area to explore would be things used by "ethnic" chefs ... check out the international student population and cater to their recipes and let it be know that you will do it. ASK them what they can't find - locate their Facebook page and ask what things they want to cook with they can't find grown locally. Often it's not something exotic and hard to grow, it's just not being grown....See MoreNEW: collectors corner year round new robin
Comments (105)ok sent out mellens and earthys questionares to everyone. Mailed them in two different ways - forwarded and in the big word document. Only received an error message for veeje on 2 so far. Now everyone should have everyone's questionares. All books should be mailed out by now. Moving on to March - Feel free to pick your partner baised on things you have that you think they would want baised on the questionares. PLEASE POST who you want as there have been so many problems with emails. I will be making a new thread soon as this one is filling up. I will name it MARCH collectors Corner please post there and I will go and add each person who listed on this thread to that thread when I get the extra time (not today though)... Melinda as for your quest5ion. And by collections do you go by the question of things they collect on the questionnaire or the type of flowers they collect or what? MY REPLY: I don't know how you can send flowers with it being so cold, but if you want you can send an IOU or something like that for the spring. Otherwise - try to go off what they have on their questioinares or even on their gardenweb pages. Just do the best you can. However I know that some people don't have much listed on their questionares so I don't know what to do about that. Glad everyone is enjoying your books!...See MoreJanuary...a new year...what are you reading?
Comments (75)Thanks to my book clubs - yes, plural - I read two excellent books I would never have chosen on my own. For my regular book club we read The Good Lord Bird, a novel about John Brown's raid on Harper's Ferry told through the eyes of a young slave boy disguised as a girl. It dragged from time to time, mostly when John Brown was at his oddest, but there were paragraphs and pages of sheer illumination as Onion made discoveries about the nature of the world he inhabited. I also belong to a garden book club. We just read The Garden of Evening Mists. Martin would know this book because it was short listed for the Man Booker prize. This haunting and surprising novel was centered on a number of people each damaged by World War II, their point of intersection being a Japanese garden in the mountains of Malaya (now Malaysia). It's not a book I would have expected to enjoy, despite the garden theme, but it knocked my socks off. I'll be thinking about it for a long time. I recommend both books heartily....See More- last year
- last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
Related Stories

ARCHITECTUREAn Architect's Wish List for the New Year
Have a better relationship with your home and neighbors this year with these forward-thinking ideas
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESWhat’s on Your Design Wish List This Year?
Use winter days to begin planning your 2016 projects. Here’s a bit of inspiration to get you started
Full Story
DECLUTTERINGNew Year’s Resolutions for Minimalists
Pledge to do these 12 things in 2018 and you may find you’re more satisfied with less
Full Story
LIFE11 Easy Ways to Keep Your New Year’s Resolutions
Work smarter, not harder, to reach your goals — success is more about taking the right approach than about slogging your way there
Full Story
HOLIDAYS12 Ways to Make New Year’s Eve at Home Feel Special
Set a festive table, have a home spa day, go for a wintry walk and celebrate the joys of being home
Full Story
LIFEWhat We Love (and Don’t) About New Year’s
Here are our favorite and least favorite things about ringing in the new year. What are yours?
Full Story
HOUZZ CALLTell Us Your New Year’s Resolutions for Your Home
Share your plans and dreams for your house this year — whether they involve organizing, remodeling or redecorating
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNSoak Up Ideas From the Year’s Most Popular Urban Gardens
Readers’ favorite photos from 2016 deliver new ways to think about city backyards
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNIdeas From the Year’s Top 10 Kitchens of the Week
Get inspired by the found objects, reclaimed hardware, efficient storage and work zones in our top kitchens of 2016
Full Story
FLOWERSSneak a Peek at Some of Next Year’s Irresistible New Roses
Here are top 2018 picks for beautiful blooms, lovely fragrances and exceptional disease resistance
Full Story
annpanagain