September Reading - a Late Start
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (62)
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
Related Discussions
September: sweet corn, stormy skies, school bells. Your readings?
Comments (66)Georgia - happy to see someone else reading "The Moonflower Vine"... It was a title I found somewhere and dug up and enjoyed. I've been reading (and reminding myself) how to write by reading "On Writing Well" by William Zinsser. A book straight out of the late 1970's, Zinsser was/is? a prof at Yale and has a journalist's background. It's more of a primer than anything, but he has a good sense of humor and I've finally learned the plural of "genius" is "genii". And then speaking of well written, I am also reading and enjoying "Consuming Passions: Leisure and Pleasure in Victorian Britain" by Judith Flanders which is *packed* with detail about this time. Obsessed with Victorians as I seem to be, this is a great read and I'm having fun. However, it suffers from a steady stream of typos which is a bit distracting. Speaking of distracting, I am also reading "Skippy Dies" by Paul Murray about a death in an Irish boarding school. Light hearted and the writing is fine, but whoever decided to "translate" all the English/Irish bits into "American" needs to smothered. "Mum" or "Mam" is now "Mom". "Shopping Center" is now "mall" and numerous other examples. Unless things have been decidedly American in my long absence from living in UK?... All good reads if you're not too pedantic about stuff other than the story. (The pains of being an editor.) :-)...See MoreSeptember Reading
Comments (150)Marion Mainwaring completed The Buccaneers, and there was a miniseries with Carla Gugino and Mira Sorvino, which has a completely different ending, and adds things I don't think were intended in the book (eg one of the characters is a homosexual caught in a compromising situation). I was incurably romantic in my early 20s and read it numerous times, but I suspect it would be too sappy for me now. Read P&P, watched the miniseries, watched the movie, now what's left for me but to read 2 essays on Jane Austen I just found at the library. I read Down and Out in Paris and London a few weeks ago, and while I found the part in Paris sparkling and interesting, the part in London was incredibly repetitive, IMO, and I couldn't see the point of it. Couldn't he go to his family's house while waiting for the job to start?...See MoreSeptember reading
Comments (67)Vee, do you recall The Missing Will & A Dubious Codicil: A Double Autobiography by Michael Wharton? I finished it a week or so ago after noticing on the flyleaf where I had penciled in your name and the date 7 May 2006, probably because you reviewed it or at least mentioned it. Apparently, it took me more than eleven years to eventually get around to reading it! I should have suspected that Wharton had a wry, tongue-in-cheek style when I saw the title of the first chapter, "The Deformative Years." I wound up enjoying the second part, A Dubious Codicil, more than the first part because it covered the years he worked in Fleet Street writing the Peter Simple column for The Daily Telegraph (1957-1987, three or four times a week). Then he wrote a weekly column for the Sunday Telegraph for several years in the 1990s and then back to The Daily Telegraph for a weekly contribution. His last piece appeared there in January 2006, the month he died at age 92. Vee, did you follow Peter Simple? His glee at sticking his finger in the eyes of politicians and political junkies is hilarious to me (and infuriating, no doubt, to those who think politics should always be taken seriously but who are not so hidebound as to never read something that doesn't bolster their own opinions). Are there any Peter Simple-types left? I think I knew the young, female English reporter whose faux pas in 1974 was referring to Robert Mugabe as "Bob" to his face....See MoreWhat are you reading? September 2022 Edition
Comments (123)I love Atonement. I just finished Fox Creek (Cork O'Connor) by William Kent Krueger, 3 stars. It was basically bad guys chasing good guys through the forest. There was initially some mystery and tension to it, but it just got long and drawn out. Where has tight, edge-of-the-seat storytelling gone? Yesterday, at about the 2/3 point, I went searching online for the ending, because I was tired of the narrative. I couldn't find it anywhere! No spoilers. So I buckled down and finished the darn thing. The character development doesn't amount to much. There's a strong Native American element that runs through it. And the force/thing driving the bad guys, some made up thing that I stopped caring about. I need to go back and read Ordinary Grace to remember why I love this guy's writing....See More- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
Related Stories

DECORATING GUIDESHow to Decorate When You're Starting Out or Starting Over
No need to feel overwhelmed. Our step-by-step decorating guide can help you put together a home look you'll love
Full Story
MOST POPULARHow to Start a Cool-Season Vegetable Garden
Late summer and late winter are good times to plan and plant cool-season crops like salad greens, spinach, beets, carrots and peas
Full Story
REGIONAL GARDEN GUIDESCalifornia Gardener’s September Checklist
Kick-start the fall planting season with these ideas for bulbs, grasses, shrubs, perennials and cool-season veggies
Full Story0

LIFEThe Promise and Beauty of a Late Autumn Garden
Read a landscape designer’s reflections on plants, wildlife, fatherhood and learning to let go at the end of the season
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDES10 Late-Winter and Early-Spring Bloomers for the West
Tired of waiting for spring to arrive? Try these drought-tolerant, flowering plants for color that starts in late winter
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESCentral Plains Gardener's September Checklist
This month, go easy on the deadheading, savor the beauty of sunflowers and look ahead to next year's garden
Full Story
WINTER GARDENINGYour Essential Seed-Starting Glossary
Before starting plants from seed indoors, learn these common horticulture terms
Full Story
MONTHLY HOME CHECKLISTSSeptember Checklist for a Smooth-Running Home
Get ready to get cozy at home with snuggly blankets, well-stocked firewood, added insulation and more
Full Story
FALL GARDENINGSee How Just 1 Ingredient Can Jump-Start a Dazzling Fall Garden
Give tired, end-of-season borders a boost with one of these high-impact plants that cross over from summer to fall
Full Story
FALL GARDENINGCalifornia Gardener's September Checklist
Planting opportunities abound this month: perennials, lawns, wildflowers and more. Our primer covers 'em all
Full Story
ginny12