September reading
9 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (67)
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
Related Discussions
September Reading
Comments (95)So far, I've read: "Bad Behavior" - Isabel Wolff About a young, single gal living in London, who's a veterinary psychologist. It follows her trials and tribulations 15 years after she was duped into putting a small bomb into a man's mailbox (she didn't know it was an explosive). Her guilt is enormous of course. The story picks up where she's getting settled into her new practice, and meets a brilliant war photojournalist. There are twists and turns in the plot, and -- believe it or not -- quite a bit of humour. The author was just short-listed last year for best writer in Women's Literature category (for "A Vintage Affair," which I loved!). " The Earth Hums in B Flat" - Mari Strachan About a 12-year-old girl living in Wales with her hugely dysfunctional family (the mother, mainly -- the girl's father is wonderful). She's going through growing pains (dealing with boys, disloyal female friends, a nasty mother, a self-centered, teasing sister), but is a strong, resourceful girl. ... Can usually think her way out of problems. There's a mysterious murder in the story, as well; although, it isn't a murder mystery book. There are well-drawn Welsh characters. The town is well-described -- you feel as if you can see it. The girl flies in her sleep over it, and hears the earth hum (thus, the title). In spite of this other-worldly feature, it isn't a sci-fi or ghost story kind of book. Only one thing bothered me -- the ending was a little abrupt, it seemed....See MoreA Gentleman in Moscow
Comments (6)I have A Gentleman in Moscow on tap because of all the enthusiastic mentions here at RP and elsewhere. I've been reading a lot of Russian/USSR history and travel writing in the past few months. I'm waiting for all the nonfiction in those settings to settle a bit in my mind before I start a novel. Sometimes I have to be in the right frame of mind to tolerate and appreciate fiction and not be too critical of it. I look forward to Gentleman....See MoreGeographically speaking ...
Comments (42)I'm feeling adrift, having started and abandoned a third novel in a week's time. But sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. With book #4, I'm still in England, but have traveled north to Newcastle. I think I'll be able to enjoy a short stay here reading my first Vera Stanhope mystery....See MoreReading the 'Classics'
Comments (30)Ah, yes, Virago publications: Recently, I was trying to think of the name of that endeavour, but then I forgot to look it up. I think it's funny how many times answers will come my way in a circular fashion a few days or weeks later! Thank you, Vee. I recognize many of the earlier-published titles from the 'Women's Studies Literature' classes I took in the 1970s and 1980s -- back when just about the only women represented in regular lit courses were Jane Austen and Charlotte and Emily Bronte (Anne Bronte was not yet 'worthy' of much mention) and, maybe, Harriet Beecher Stowe as the lone American woman author (L. M. Alcott's writing still was thought to be for female children, only). Still, even in studies devoted to women's writing, I only read about 10% of the first two hundred or so titles. Of the 500-plus books Virago has added since then, I have read a greater number but not more than 25% of the whole. That's a quick count, subject to change as I look at it more closely. You mentioned that the Virago titles tend to be more 'hard-hitting' than the Persephone ones. Something that struck me is how many are stories of 'quiet desperation' which is the nickname someone of my cohort gave this type of book. They were probably thinking of the lyrics from the Pink Floyd song 'Time': Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time. Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way The time is gone, the song is over, Thought I'd something more to say. -- Roger Waters, lyricist, Pink Floyd (band), 1973 ('Dark Side of the Moon') (Waters, possibly either intentionally or subconciously, lifted the phrase 'quiet desperation' from Henry David Thoreau.) Was Waters 'spot-on' about the English, in general, and particularly about many English female writers?...See More- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years agolast modified: 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
- 9 years ago
Related Stories

MONTHLY HOME CHECKLISTSSeptember Checklist for a Smooth-Running Home
Get ready to get cozy at home with snuggly blankets, well-stocked firewood, added insulation and more
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGTo-Dos: Your September Home Checklist
Boost the comforts of home for fall with a few of these ideas for stocking up and staying cozy
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESRocky Mountain Gardener's September Checklist
Sharpen your spade and grab your gloves — warm days and cool nights in the garden mean it's planting time
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESCentral Plains Gardener's September Checklist
This month, go easy on the deadheading, savor the beauty of sunflowers and look ahead to next year's garden
Full Story
MONTHLY HOME CHECKLISTSTo-Dos: Your September Home Checklist
As life transitions back indoors, bring elements of nature in with you and make your spaces cozy and warm
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOME15 Cozy Book Nooks and What They Want You to Read
Put the beach reads away; these comfy spaces are creating a fall reading list. What books do they suggest to you?
Full Story
HOME INNOVATIONSConsidering Renting to Vacationers? Read This First
More people are redesigning their homes for the short-term-rental boom. Here are 3 examples — and what to consider before joining in
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESGreat Design Plant: Blazing Star
Attract birds, bees and butterflies to your garden with the unique flower spikes of Liatris from July to September
Full Story
NATIVE PLANTSAutumn Joy: How to Get 3 Months of Fall Flowers
Enjoy blooms from September to November by mixing 6 asters native to different areas of the U.S.
Full Story
COMMUNITYLittle Free Libraries Take Manhattan
Designers' modern mini libraries boost reading and community in New York City
Full Story
carolyn_ky