August - staying indoors reading?
2 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (89)
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
Related Discussions
MNF's August swap. Recycle and Read
Comments (150)Good Evening/Morning Book junkies, I have not been around for a few days...thought I would check in on the book swap and happenings. Speaking of "Goodwill" and books.....I chuckle (just a little) when I think of a lovely, classy lady who had many books....many, many books. She kept them in boxes around her home. She always said that one day she would donate them. But for the time being they would stay put as she often would read them again. I offered to take them to Goodwill and she would always say no. In fact, she did not want anyone even looking through the boxes of books. Her husband got to the point that he could not stand it anymore....boxes of books everywhere. While his wife was gone one day, he took several of the large boxes of books to Goodwill for donation (yes, without telling her). When his wife returned home, she noticed that many of her beloved boxes of books were no longer "home". She became very upset and I mean very upset!!! She screamed and yelled and ranted and raved and called her husband every name in the book....I know because I was their. She was one pissed off woman. I did not blame her, especially after I heard why she was really so ticked off. Yes, she loved her romantic novels, mysteries, best sellers and biographies. But in her beloved books in so many boxes, she had hidden money to the sweet tune of $15,000. One book had $100, another book had $300, and so on. After she told her husband of the money that HE GAVE AWAY, I think he nearly died. He never touched one of her books again. To this day when I pick up a used book at a garage sale or donation facility, I page though it. You just never know what you might find in a book...a good mystery, lots of tears, laughter, romance and escape or.....a few bucks!!! Let me fetch the closest book. Page 56, sentence 5....... "Many pieces require highly intricate finishing touches and their tiniest details must be treated almost microscopiclly". Off to watch the news! Happy Wednesday! Annie previous 313 + 18 = 331 books...See MoreAugust Reads
Comments (97)I liked Leonie Swann's "Three Bags Full". At least the sheep acted quite naturally which is more than can be said for some of the animal detectives! Being winter and cold, windy, raining etc. (Like the UK Summer this year apparently) I have been curling up under my cheap misprinted Winnie the Pooh blankie and listening to tapes so that I can keep my frozen mitts under wraps. I bought a lot of them from the local library who are selling old and donated, almost new, tapes. I like books I have already read, I find them easier to follow. I also like women readers better as they can deepen their voices for male characters but men don't sound right becoming women! What do other listeners think? I have been trying to get Kate Fenton's two early books from the Australian library system but no luck so far. I enjoyed her books very much and was reminded of her from another thread. Almost Spring, so a lot of my reading will be garden catalogues!...See MoreIn August summer still yields - What are you reading?
Comments (60)As August draws to a close I have four books going at once. First is the fifth in George RR Martins's Game of Thrones series, A Dance with Dragons. I am halfway through, but am reading it as an ebook when I travel. We've been traveling a lot this summer and I do expect to finish it. I'm not in a hurry. It may well be years until he releases #6, and who knows if we will ever see #7, or if #7 will indeed complete the story? Second is Superfreakonomics, which my husband Tom read, enjoyed, and passed along to me. It is every bit as engaging as the original Freakonomics was, and I do recommend it to people who enjoy this kind of book, an analysis of human behavior based on economic principles written for a popular audience. Third is The Time in Between by Maria Duenas, which I am reading for my book club. This hefty volume is a historical novel based in mid 20th century Spain. It is moving along well so far. At this point it does not seem like great literature, but the plot has pulled me in and I am enjoying it. If it keeps on this way, I'm sure I will find it to be a thumping good read. And if it does not, well, I will thump it down on the floor in disgust. Finally I am looking forward to opening up a book I just got from the library. It is Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey. This novel about an early stage dementia patient who suspects a murder caught my attention this summer in a bookstore in Edinburgh, but I decided to wait until I returned home to read it. Apparently it is as popular here in the US as it was in the UK, because I had to go on the waiting list for several weeks before I could hold it in my greedy hands. Finally I should mention that I also read The Art of Hearing Heartbeats, last month's book club selection. Not to my taste, I'm sorry to say, but I believe it does have its fans. I found it slight. I'm all for reading lighthearted fun, and do so unabashedly, but not when it earnestly tries to be Significant. Rosefolly...See MoreAugust Reading
Comments (46)A couple of books to finish off the month. Oh to be a Farmer by Richard Barnett. A very light description of his work in Post War Wales where he and his brother lease a small farm half way up a mountainside using the only equipment they own . . . a wheelbarrow. They endure primitive living in a farm cottage with no electricity, running water and very little furniture; but they survive, helped by neighbours and working very long hours and gradually build up their herd of milkers, pigs etc and buy-in bits of ancient machinery. The Founding of the Museum of Garden History by Elizabeth Fleming was a booklet I picked up very cheap in the second hand pile in our super market! For anyone from the US it has some interesting comments about plant collecting in the New World (Virginia) as carried out by the famous gardeners John Tradescants father and son, who are buried in the churchyard. It also has connections were Captain John Smith and Pocahontas. The ancient church St Mary's-at-Lambeth had fallen on hard times due to wartime bombing and deconsecration in the 1970's, and was 'brought back to life' by a group of amateur conservationists and gardeners unhappy at the state of the near-derelict church and the heaps of trash in the graveyard. And to think this building is right next to Lambeth Palace the London home of the Archbishop of Canterbury! The book is written in rather an amateur way and the writers often repeat themselves and we find out how much a cup of tea cost in 1982 or what they charged for a postcard, but all involved were dedicated in their endeavors and raised huge sums of money. Friends in the US helped, they even got the late Queen Mother and the then Prince of Wales interested and the church has now been repaired and contains the Museum of Gardening which with the old graveyard are both open to visitors. Garden Museum...See More- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
Related Stories

HOUZZ TOURSHouzz Tour: Redo Stays True to a California Home’s Ranch Roots
Vaulted ceilings, windows galore and a simple white palette make for casual indoor-outdoor living
Full Story
HOUZZ TVTour a Modern Organic Home With Seamless Indoor-Outdoor Flow
Watch a video, and read about light-filled spaces, warm materials, hidden details and resort-style areas for hosting
Full Story
HOUSEPLANTSHow to Grow Orchids Indoors
Orchids are the exotic aristocrats of the flower world and can make themselves comfortable in almost any home
Full Story
FURNITUREGreat Furniture Pieces That Work Indoors and Out
Look to garden chairs, nesting tables, kitchen carts and more to serve double duty inside and outside your home year-round
Full Story
LIFEThis Weekend: Spruce Up Your Reading Spot, Pick Apples and More
Visit an orchard and make a pie with your bounty, cozy up your book nook or plan your next home project
Full Story
HERBSHow to Grow Herbs Indoors
Have a sunny window? Enjoy the flavor of fresh herbs year-round by growing them in the house
Full Story
MOST POPULARIs Open-Plan Living a Fad, or Here to Stay?
Architects, designers and Houzzers around the world have their say on this trend and predict how our homes might evolve
Full Story
HEALTHY HOMEGet Cleaner Indoor Air Without Opening a Window
Mechanical ventilation can actually be better for your home than the natural kind. Find out the whys and hows here
Full Story
HOME INNOVATIONSConsidering Renting to Vacationers? Read This First
More people are redesigning their homes for the short-term-rental boom. Here are 3 examples — and what to consider before joining in
Full Story
yoyobon_gw