SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nippstress

Can you help judge iffy growth - I'm not objective about RRD anymore

Hi folks

After losing all my roses to RRD, I find I am more than a little gun shy about ever going there again. I was in the process of planting roses that I overwintered in pots all last year. Three in particular struck me as looking odd in ways that in the past had been a leading edge of RRD. I don't think any of these are necessarily bad enough to pull the plug yet, but among the aberrant, excessive and unusual, this is at least unusual to my eyes.

All three suspect roses are still in pots and show these symptoms to a greater or lesser extent. I took photos of the most gnarly of the bunch, a Forever and Ever Pink from a local nursery. In the past, I got suspicious of "kinky" or wavy canes, multiple leaves growing from one node, and too close inter-nodal distance. In my yard, one or more of these seemed to be leading signs for RRD, though none is conclusive by itself.

Here are some photos:

Too close inter-nodal distance - below the pad of my finger, at much less than a finger's width:

Similarly - two nodes right next to each other on different parts of the cane, below the tip of my finger:

Multiple leaves/sprouts growing out of the same leaf node (hadn't leafed out yet but pattern has continued as I'm watching it):

And kinky canes - I know it can be individually variable by rose, but I don't like the wavy pattern at virtually every leaf node:

I realize I may no longer be able to be objective, so I'm checking with all of you. None of the three are planted yet so on the one hand it wouldn't be devastating to toss them. On the other hand, they've been sitting packed in tightly together with around 120 other roses all winter in kiddie swimming pools all year and through the winter, so who knows what else is affected. Also I really don't want to go through this again, though I reailze we're never done being vigilant. I just didn't want to have to be that ruthless again this soon.

I may well be over-reacting, but I'd rather check than be sorry. Help me out? What do you think?

Thanks

Cynthia

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH