SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_hilliard

Help with new back yard, straight or curved edges?

Kathy Hilliard
last month

My husband and I need to decide this week (!) on a landscape plan for our new home with an angular back yard, shaped much like a necktie, long sides about 100' and the corner point roughly a triangle 60'x60'x80', broadest on the "lawn" side. It does have a gradual rise to the point; one corner of the point is adjacent to a natural area of Ponderosa pines, so there will be wildlife there. We have to vinyl fence, and have an HOA. :)
Our home of 18 years is a farm with masses of perennials and shrubs. Downsizing is part of our desire, but I will take quite a few of my plants.
My new discovery is gravel gardens, and I would like to use the far point mostly for that, maybe a few raised vegetable beds, possibly raspberries, as that has the most sun exposure (facing NW, zone 5).
Our helpful contractor has offered to pour curbing 3' from the fence around the yard, but it will probably be straight. I'm trying to decide if that's best. I was so excited for it after years of trying to keep grass from getting into my beds, but am I going to be sorry to have the straight frame around the yard when I am envisioning swaths and curves? The sprinkler system also has to be figured out this week, so I'm on a crunch for time. The home itself is a stretch, so I don't want to add a lot more expense in making a "perfect" yard now, but also hate to do something that we may want undone. Appreciate any help!
We are a retired couple with a dog. We want some lawn, but also open to less work while making it interesting. Thinking of a shade tree area near the house where I can bring hostas and heucheras. I really want pollinators and plan to use a lot of natives, just don't want to be limited to a rigid border look around most of the yard. I'll stop there, just feeling overwhelmed and happy for some ideas. We are going to a nursery today for design help.

Comments (8)