SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
krakenqueen_gw

New house, new yard. Yard needs help!

KrakenQueen
11 years ago

Not long ago I posted about my husband and I purchasing a home and how while moving I could do so without killing my plants. Sadly, the apple and rosemary died, however everything else seems to be doing okay in their respective containers.

Just a warning, the yard is in a state of chaos, but much nicer and more open than the absolute disaster it was before!

Anyway. Turns out the yard is, well, dead, and only supports weeds due to all the sand and the lack of soil. We started our compost pile (if you look in the back, you'll see some cardboard, the compost pile is under that..about 4' wide x 2.5' deep atm) with some of the aging compost from our previous home not even a week after we moved in and have been adding all the fallen leaves from the huge sweetgum tree onto it.

I spent and still spend a lot of time hunting out all of the mexican hydrangea, digging them up, following as much root as I could, etc., and have /almost/ managed it out of the yard except for difficult places. Such as the partial chain link fence left inside the back of the yard (???AUGH) against the wooden privacy fence :: Let me also mention ALL of the cement pillars I've dug up with more to go, square pavers, and TONS of trash!!! Oh boy, and the dead tree and small oak that grew through the chain link too.

The yard before I cleared it out:

The following photos are about two weeks old and there's been more cleanup since we got home from a vacation during Thanksgiving. I'll post new photos soon.

I plan on putting a wildflower area beneath the sweetgum tree, a wooden walking path against the fence from the patio to the gate, a 165 gal pond ..somewhere. We want to make most of the yard into garden with some areas for our old dog to enjoy the sun and relax (and do her business). The gardens in the center have both been set up as temporary boxes till I know what to do with the yard as a whole. This has been the most difficult yard to design :C

Can anyone identify the scraggly tree leaning into the center of our yard next to the walkway?

(I apologize if this post seems rushed, I have fibromyalgia and had to take my pain killers which tend to make for really scattered writing! Whew.)

Comments (7)

Sponsored
More Discussions