SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21882779

Straight lines vs curved lines in gardens

User
8 years ago

I still find myself thinking about the idea of straight vs curved and the idea some of us expressed, myself included, that curved lines are always better. I thought that was an interesting discussion and I am rethinking my position.

In my own little landscape I have some places that don't allow for curves. A gravel path on the west side running the length of the house with a strip of dirt that borders the ugly property next door for instance and my hell strip down by the street where there is a sidewalk. There's another straight path on the east side with a narrow strip of dirt. That particular rectangle I call the hell strip is one of my favorite areas, obviously, straight lines are the only option. Is it natural looking? No. Typical city yards never are, not really. I also have a straight driveway with a strip to the east of it as well. Thats quite a few straight lines.

If I had a large piece of land with unlimited funds I'd love to build a garden based on a demonstration garden like The Lady Bird Johnson Display Garden in Austin. There is just something appealing about the paths, the square raised beds and how each bed can stand on its own as an individual composition due to the overall design of the place. I could easily live with this. I love the straight arbor too.

Gardens don't have to automatically look natural. I've seen vegetables grown in raised beds the same way. I like the gravel paths which are not natural looking at all.

I sometimes find I get to thinking in limited ways and accept certain often claimed remarks as if they are gospel but the straight vs curved discussion has me doing some rethink as I said.

Straight or curved? Does it matter or is one really superior to the other? I believe the end result can be wonderful with either curved or straight or both. Its all a matter of good design, choosing a theme and working with the space you have because sometimes we are stuck with limited options for various reasons and have to work with them.

Comments (79)