SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

OT--Iowa Climate Winter Clothing—Done! Thanks!

plllog
last month
last modified: last month

So, the young man whom you've advised me about Japanese cookware for (see--cooking related, sort of) is going away to college ... yes, in Iowa. I want to get him a parka or similar, but something that will be really warm for his central California thin blood. Any advice about what and where to get it (online) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (19)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last month

A down puffer jacket from Eddie Bauer, REI or Patagonia.

plllog thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    last month

Look into rechargeable electric clothing. They are not that expensive.

They help me a lot doing work in the garden in deep winter.

dcarch

plllog thanked dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
  • JoanM
    last month

I would recommend something from REI as well.

plllog thanked JoanM
  • plllog
    Original Author
    last month

REI had none. I guess it's already too late there. I found a last one at Eddie Bauer. It looks and sounds (including reviews) very warm, but I worry the mom's idea of his size is too generous. They say it runs large. But he may need more underlayers, and he's an athlete and might fill out more, so I think it'll be okay. Being the last one, and on super clearance, I went for it. Gardengal, thanks for suggesting EB.

• bragu_DSM 5
    last month

burlington coat factory

kohls

dillards

• plllog
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks, Dave. Already done. They don't have that kind of jacket locally, and while I know those names, they're not right here. Along the way, I learned the names of the warmest coats, way out of my price range, but jumped on that last puff jacket (covers the butt) from EB (and still hoping I won't get an out of stock cancellation) because it was well reviewed for warmth in the Midwest, and was half off sale price, to a dollar below my budget (which I then stretched for the tax). And if it's not quite right, he can easily exchange it, though might have to wait until the end of Summer to get something really warm.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    last month

OT in this OT thread:

Annie and others, I hope you are prepared for this coming snow storm. I got stuck in Grand Rapids for three days and four nights sometime ago and ended up volunteered as a nurse in a hospital because nurses could not come to work and doctors came in by helicopters.

dcarch

• plllog
    Original Author
    last month

Dcarch7, why not start a new thread? I'm not sure people will see your post here, though you're welcome to the tangent.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last month

Maybe some thermal underwear and socks as well?

plllog thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    last month

He will need some snow boots as well. I like the Sorel brand.

plllog thanked LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
  • colleenoz
    last month

Do you knit? A warm wool beanie hat would be good. Wool is much warmer than acrylic. I like this pattern as there's a double layer over the ear and it dips down to keep the ears warmer without the wearer ending up with the brim over their eyes. My husband shocked me when he actually asked me to make one of these for him as he has never wanted anything knitted before :-) And he loves it for walking to and from work in the winter.

1898 Hat

• plllog
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks for the suggestion, Colleen! I'm not sure I knit well enough (I'm best with tiny things like doll clothes and baby booties), but it looks like a great hat for the climate, and maybe his sister will want to make it. I'm much better at crochet, but it wouldn't translate well. Plus, I don't have the right kind of wool, and it's expensive here. The jacket does have a hood. ;) It's waterproof and rated for well below 0°F. I think he does have a jacket for down to 40°F or so.

I'm sure the parents are going to supply him with the long underwear, boots, gloves and hats, but I do appreciate all the input from you all, especially those who think snow is normal, not an alien thng on TV.

• bragu_DSM 5
    last month

handwarmer and some footwarmers too for those really brisk days ... last 4-6 hours as well as headgear or stocking cap ... as well as an ice auger for fishing on frozen ponds ...

wasn't that a movie?

¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

• floraluk2
    last month

I might try that beanie, Colleen. Looks practical.

• plllog
    Original Author
    last month

::giggle:: Dave, I have no idea if that's a movie, but the campus isn't out in the boonies. ;) And I don't know if he's ever been fishing. No surfing in Iowa, so maybe he'll learn...

• Islay Corbel
    last month

What a great and generous gift. He'll be glad of it next winter!

plllog thanked Islay Corbel
  • CA Kate z9
    last month

My CA grandson would recommend a really warm pair of gloves. REI can be quite expensive . I got most of my "hockey game watcher" outfit at Lands End.

plllog thanked CA Kate z9
  • plllog
    Original Author
    last month

Great news! I got the "has shipped" e-mail. No, sorry, someone bought it out from under you message. :)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida