SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindsey_brady11

Lighting Design Help for Kitchen Remodel

Lindsey Brady
last month

We are in the middle of a kitchen remodel and I'd be very extremely thankful for help with the lighting design. We will be using 6" recessed lights. I do not want pendants over the island. I'm open to a pendant over the sink. I do not want a chandelier over the kitchen table. We have 8' ceilings, but they will be a hair lower due to adding beadboard to the ceiling.

The reason I don't want pendants over the island is that because this is a remodel, we were working with limitations in the kitchen in terms of cabinet placement, etc. Thus the island is not centered on the cooktop. We have a direct view of the kitchen when entering from the front door. My goal and vision is for the cooktop & hood to be the "attention grabber". Because they are off-center from each other, the pendants would block the view of the hood which I wouldn't love.

I don't want a special light over the kitchen table because 1) we haven't selected a table and won't select one for a while, so I'm unsure of width. 2) I want the flexibility to change it later and not worry about a light centered, 3) we have 8' ceilings and it's just too busy with the cabinetry and bench to have a light.

The drawing of the hood is not exact :-)

Thank you!

Comments (8)