SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harkneet

Whole Home Remodel – Modern Farmhouse Kitchen Design Help

Eric H
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

My wife, son (8 months), and dog are a few weeks from (edit: watching other people) breaking ground on a whole-home remodel that will essentially double the current footprint. The general structure and design is complete, so now it's time to refine and make it shine with the details...which is where you come in!

About us - we're currently a family of 3 and a dog, with the possibility of growing by another kid or two within the next few years. I'm the primary cook and tend to make meals pretty frequently, mostly on the range, with the outdoor grill mixed in. Not a ton of baking, but I expect that will change in the future as the kids grow. We love to entertain (informal) and anticipate the kitchen being a very popular place for hanging, eating, homework, etc.

Overall Design - the general design is set and going through permitting, so ideally no changing walls, doors, windows, etc. at this point without a lot of work and delays with permits/construction. The only potentially unclear items from the attached layout are:

• The dotted lines separating the kitchen/family room is a drop ceiling, and the dotted lines in the family room are exposed beams.
  • The cabinets to the right of the fridge (where the '3' is) are going to be a large pantry/appliance garage.
  • There will be a small bar with undercounter beverage fridge in the family room.

The overarching design of the home is modern farmhouse - white exterior w/black metal roof, barn doors, exposed beams, etc.

First Floor Layout

Kitchen Layout

Windows - the windows on either side of the range are 2'x2' with the sill at 5'6" - we're in an urban suburb with close neighbors, so the idea is to still provide light and maintain outside aesthetics with privacy. Given the sill height, the plan is to have exposed shelves (reclaimed wood or stainless) for highly used items and cooking essentials. The window above the sink is 4'x5' (W x H) and will be an accordion or similar type window so we can open to the outside - the plan is to have a counter on the wall outside with barstools on the deck - we'll have a grill there, and it's covered.

Doors - slider going to the deck - 5'x6'8"

Island - open to options, this is still an area being worked, but we expect to have a prep sink, microwave (if not matched with combi-steam oven on wall), trash/recycling, and seating for at least 5. I'm also debating a 15" or 24" induction cooktop on the island - open to thoughts on this, and how it would be utilized and be placed.

Appliances - still working to make final selections, but here are the current options:

• Range - most likely 36" Wolf (DF364G) or Blue Star (BSP366B), but debating 48" - think it'll be overkill with the induction cooktop and separate oven, but it looks cool...just not worth the extra money. We're committed to gas for the look, but I feel the love of induction here!
  • Range Hood - size clearly depends on the range, but planning to go with VAH Wall Mounted Professional Series (or similar) with duct to ceiling.
  • Induction Cooktop - open to advice here, but looking for a 15" to 24", and most likely in the island...this may be unnecessary and removed.
  • Refrigerator - Thermador Freedom Columns (T30IR800SP and T18IF800SP) or SZ 48" built-in (BI-48SID/S).
  • Oven/Warming Drawer - leaning toward the Miele Combi-Steam Oven (M6160TC) plumbed in, but still need to check out the options and get hands-on experience. Trying to match with the Miele warming drawer (ESW6680). Note: These aren't shown in the plans, but intent is to put them by the fridge on the side toward the range.
  • Microwave - Sharp (SMD2470AS) - open to options here.
  • Dishwasher - Bosch (SHX68T55UC) - may go higher end to get quieter, also need hands-on experience to confirm dishes fit, etc.
  • Sink / Faucet - Rohl 30" Farmhouse (RC3018WH) and Kraus (KPF-1602-KSD-30)
  • Prep Sink / Faucet - TBD, open.

Cabinets - TBD, white.

Countertops - TBD, but likely a contrast of light and dark between the perimeter and island. Material will be granite, quartz, or similar.

Floors - hardwood...stain TBD.

That's a lot, but I think that covers it. As can be seen in the layout, we have a formal dining room, but that's not used as much today...we'll see how it evolves with the new home. We'll also have a table in the Sunroom to serve as a quasi-breakfast nook/eating area. Down the road, we'll add a patio, as well, with more seating and eating options.

So...what do you think?! Thanks in advance!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville