SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amart12

kitchen remodel design help! cabinets,countertops and backsplash

Abby
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Alright guys, we need some help with our kitchen!

We’re renovating the house we just bought before we move in and I need some design tips/tricks/advice. This is our kitchen, while a great size and tons (and I mean tons) of storage, its just dated and needs some love.

As shown in the photos attached, we’re taking out part of the main wall to open the space up to the living room and create a more open concept. There isn’t enough room for an island so pretty much the layout we have is what we’re working with.

What are your suggestions to make this kitchen feel more open and bright? Our style is modern farmhouse but with more of an artistic flair than the modern farmhouse seen usually these days. Think less shiplap, more cletile.

We’ve talked about replacing the doors to a shaker style so that’s an option. What are some places or tips you guys have found for replacing cabinet doors?

Also we talked about removing a section of upper cabinets. My vote if we do that is removing the cabinets on the wall of the sink and doing open shelving, would removing those or another wall of uppers look better?

As far as color goes we do like white cabinets but we’re open to any color…. within reason. We want our kitchen to be something we enjoy for many many years and not just for the next few while something is trendy. So bright colors or colors that aren’t versatile are out.

We've considered all types of countertops, from concrete to butchers block to granite and quartz. Open to all of them, we just need something that is pretty heat and stain resistant. And goes well with the rest of the kitchen of course.

The house only came with one old stove which we sold so we’re getting all new appliances, the color (whether stainless steel or black stainless steel) will be determined by what the rest of the kitchen looks like.

For fixtures we are thinking of going with black or the brushed black look. Definitely not gold or chrome.

I attached photos of the kitchen, the flooring we have picked out and the style of tile we want to use for the backsplash. The tile isn’t decided fully on yet because we don’t mind subway tile either. Just whatever will look best together.

Oh and did I mention? We want to try and make this pretty cost effective. So if you have some insight as to what things will cost more than others, ways to do things ourselves to save and how to “get the look for less” if you will, that would be great!!

Comments (7)