SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dencarson

Master bedroom with window only on one side of bed.

dencarson
2 months ago

Hi- I am trying to balance the wall behind my master bed. I decided on colors of royal blue, white with accent of black and gold. I am trying to use the furniture I have because we may move and I don’t want to invest in new furniture yet. I have 2 different nightstands so I am balancing that out too. I recently found a larger black tray (not pictured) so I am hoping that will help make it look even.
Is this framed picture too big above nightstand?
And do you think I need something directly over the bed? I was thinking of a round sunburst mirror.
Any advice will help.
Thank you so much!!

Comments (54)

• dencarson
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Hmm, never thought of doing that Rho! I always thought bed should be placed as the focal point when walking into room. But, Yes the bed would fit on that wall. There are no windows on that side, just the entrance to the room ; is where I took the photos from. So flipping the bed to that side, I may have the same issue but with balancing the door on one side of bed instead of a window. I will take a look at measurements today. Thanks for helping me think outside of the box. :) I’ll luk

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

Draw and measure the entire bedroom, with all the walls, bath doors, closet doors, window, entry etc. Every foot and inch! Bold neat, legible and upload it as a jpeg below,

You have WAY too much in the room.....!

Start with a measure. It's a queen bed? note the dresser size, and the side table as well.

Start there and avoid the guessing game : )

• Related Discussions

Need Help with Master Bedroom Bathroom/Bedroom Layout - 1970s house

Q

Comments (5)
    I like my first idea best as far as use of space. I know people say not to put toilets on an outside wall. We had one in our last house in Iowa, but we had 2X6 construction. I don't know how high your window is, but I'm guessing the toilet would fit under there. The shower would be 5 feet long or shorter if you want a wider space to get to the toilet. (kind of tight the way I have drawn). You could do a 5 and half foot long shower and do an angled door at the left end to allow room between the shower and toilet. The vanity would be about 7 feet long, unless you do a 60 inch vanity with a linen cabinet at the door. I would reverse entry door swing if you do that.. The second top right could work and you would still have a small closet. The bottom left plan would require waterproofing your front window. Hopefully someone will give you other ideas. The bottom right plan is bigger, but no closet. Each square equals 1 foot.
    ...See More

Window(s) above bed in Master Bedroom

Q

Comments (10)
    I think Miz_G's suggestion to remove the trim from the two boxes, repair the wall and have only one window makes the most sense. It's strange that the previous owners left the trim when they removed the windows. Put an attractive shade on the one window and a piece of artwork where the old windows were.
    ...See More

master bedroom ideas for bed and window treatments and walls

Q

Comments (10)
    It is kind of like Facebook, but only for your neighborhood and it limited to a certain area by zip code I think. You can sell things, ask for recommendations, report lost/found animals, etc.
    ...See More

Window treatments for sliding door + 2 windows in Master Bedroom

Q

Comments (1)
    You have such a nice view I can see why you would want to retain it during the day. I'd mount one rod from wall to wall, and use drapery panels. One panel on each end and wider panels in the middle around the sliders so you can pull them closed. Use a lightweight lined fabric so you can get teh fullness you need without taking up too much space. Don't use shutters. They block a LOT of light even when open, and you would never have a clear view outdoors.
    ...See More
  • arcy_gw
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

I was thinking mirror also but probably not the oval you already have...I think it's common for a bed to be orientated so you see it when you come in the room but it isn't earth shattering if it is not. I prefer seeing a love seat/pretty dresser etc as I walk past open doors in my home. I would not get on board with the idea of painting your room into a cave like dwelling. The color it is now works.

• Maureen
    2 months ago

A bed has become more of a visual focal point over the years as rooms got larger and bedding had a more decorative influence. I think it’s better that the layout is complementary to the room and the end result will be more pleasing visually.

Consider functionality with bed on opposite wall (will it be awkward?). Maybe keep bed where it is, but exchange nightstands, centering large one under window.

Or…centre bed on wall, only use one nightstand and remove the bench. Either way, add horizontal art above bed to ground and off set the window and if possible, add a more substantial lamp(s) to better balance the size of the bed.

On another point, given the color of the drapes, I’d try to integrate them better to pull the room together: bedding choices, chair cushion and art. I also think that editing will give you more breathing room visually/feel calmer.

• dencarson
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thank you all for your tips! Jan Moyer- I will measure and post dimensions of room along with furniture dimensions. It is a small room and now looking thru your eyes, Yes! Too much in there!! lol.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    2 months ago

Another idea to avoid the closet door swing is to remove the door altogether. Replace it with a curtain gathered on a rod. The curtain could either be tied back or left straight. I did this for a client years ago and it worked great in a small bedroom.

• PRO
    2 months ago

Another view:

• dencarson
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thanks Diana- I was trying to think of ideas to workaround the door also. At first I thought of a barn door type option w mirror on the door, but after Jan comment I think that would be too much again. Curtain might be a good option.

• dencarson
    Original Author
    2 months ago

hanks again Jan Moyer, measurements:
    Room dimensions (pic)
    Dresser: 66”w x 38”h mirror above dresser adds an additional 50” to height. I forgot to measure width of mirror, but it’s a little less then width of dresser

Oak Night stand: 30”w x 32”h
    Black nightstand 21”w x 32”h
    Queen Bed frame: 63”w x 61”h x 91”l

Closet door opening w molding is 30” w
    Bedroom door opening w molding is 36” w
    2- Windows w molding 37”w x 58”h
    Starting about 26-27” from floor
    1 of the windows has decorative 1/2 moon above (pic)

I have a wall of doors, (pic) can’t really put anything there.

• dencarson
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I tried to attach jpeg but couldn’t figure out. The room dimensions are from when we added the closet/bathroom years ago.

• PRO
    2 months ago

Try moving the bed to the opposite wall. Also your plan shows the door opening in, but in your photo it opens out. Why the change?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

wellll " It is what it is, and it is too crowded: )

I'd flip

• dencarson
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thank you Diana and Jan, door swing was changed to accommodate a custom built in walk thru closet.
    Thank you Jan for the markup, so appreciate it! First question from my husband is where’s the tv going? lol big mistake on my part that I didn’t mention tv in above description. I had it on opposite wall from bed next to the dresser. And Jan- you sound like my sister, she said I gave too much stuff in there too! :)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

Put the tv over the dresser, and don't worry on it: )

Or?

Leave the bed as is, reverse the oak side to the other side and use ONLY what I gave you on the plan

All the other cuties ? Out

You need not fill every wall with art and mirror.

I would sell the bed now, for an upholstered headboard, sit it on a hollywood frame and add a dust ruffle. Your bed is 11" longer than necessary!

All the other except chair, standing lamp. dresser....OUT!!! INCLUDING THE QUILT RACK

More is not more. There are kids rooms larger than yours: )

• dencarson
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thanks Jan! My husband suggested that we get rid of the furniture now, but I was afraid of new furniture not fitting to wherever we go eventually. BUT maybe just selling the bed now as suggested and keeping the other 2 pieces could work as compromise. Thanks for helping me think of all these options available! I have some thinking to do this week. lol but it is exciting to see I have options.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

Make sure you want queen ?

Not king? :)

If not sure? wait. Its a third of your life.

• dencarson
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Yes, good point! And just to update you, I already got rid of quilt rack, bench and hat boxes. Room is already looking bigger! Lol

• PRO
    2 months ago

Good for you, dencarson, for graciously accepting the suggestions given!

• dencarson
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thank you and others for helping me think outside the box on this. I will keep you updated on progress. I have some muscle coming this weekend for dinner so may ask them to move some furniture around so I can see how things would look on other side of room. Thanks!

• PRO
    2 months ago

Muscle LOL!

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 months ago

Late to the party but to echo crystal- the curtains are too dark. A soft white, linen, or the wall color would lighten the walls and deemphasize the off center window. I think the dark drapes drag the room down.

• dencarson
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Ok- thought I would share some progress.
    I moved some things out of room.
    Was able to find the matching black side table so swapped out the oak one. (Although I think it looks too small now that I see it in the picture.)ugh
    I centered the bed on the wall only, as Crystal and Maureen suggested, and this is result. I included a pic w closet/bath door open for prospective. I sleep on side near door so it felt a little close whenever my husband used the bathroom (or left door open!)
    Tomorrow, after son and nephews come to my house, I will move furniture to other side to see how that feels.

Regarding the colors, I saw some rooms that I really liked that used the royal blue/black/gold scheme so was trying to mimic that look. Idk Maybe my room is too small to pull that off. I will share my inspiration pictures.
    Thanks again everyone for your help!

• dencarson
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Color Inspiration; this photo is from Homebunch.

• PRO
    2 months ago

The wall treatment is a blue grasscloth--LOVE!

If you decided to go that way, I'd recommend replacing the dark blue curtains with something lighter. Either light white linen or voile sheers, or sheer London shades. If you need privacy or light blocking, you could install cellular shades underneath.

Windows and Window Treatments · More Info

Mrs. Howard | Charlotte · More Info

Lake Toxaway · More Info

• dencarson
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I was hoping to avoid repainting the entire room as it was just painted few years ago when bath/ closet was added. I was hoping to somehow bring in that dark blue in other ways. Maybe just the bed wall?? Idk I think I have to figure out where the furniture goes first?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

For now? Stop worrying on the color scheme!

Get the bed issue FIXED. An inexpensive fix, in case you decide up the road to get a king bed in a different home. Go get a headboard, and attach it to a simple platform, or an inexpensive hollywood frame, and add a tailored dust skirt! Get the clunk out of the space. You can do that for under 400 bucks all in.

At this point? I'm for the jiggle to the other side. Sleeping that close to a closet would keep me up all night.

When you get to the arrangement and your "look" ? Lose the dark curtains. : ) Get some white airy sheers that feel like they would blow in a breeze. Put the deep blue anywhere else you like.

• la_la Girl
    2 months ago

Looks great with less furniture in there - whew! agree on the lighter curtains - Ikea has nice white linen panels you can hem to the right length, I have used them in several rooms

• dencarson
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thanks again for advice!
    I’m also looking forward to see how it will look on other side bc like you mentioned, it was too close to the closet for comfort after the recentering.
    I will update w pictures once things are moved tomorrow. Thanks!! :)

• Emily R.
    2 months ago

It looks way better already! I think your new bedside table is a big improvement. :) I echo the encouragement to change the bed. You could get a dark blue upholstered headboard that will help bring your room closer to your inspo pic.

• dencarson
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Found an extra white sheer that was in my daughters old room. Just threw up the one panel for now to show you how that looks before we move everything around.

• PRO
    2 months ago

Much better with the sheer curtains!

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    2 months ago

I like how Rebecca Robeson solved problem with one window.

Check it out you might like it. :-))

• dencarson
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Move complete!! Thoughts??

• dencarson
    Original Author
    2 months ago

One more…

• roarah
    2 months ago

Much better!

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 months ago

I agree much better.

• decorpatti
    2 months ago

I think this new furniture arrangement looks much more balanced. I very much like the softer look of the white sheers, though I know you wanted the more dramatic look of your inspiration photo. I think the problem with that is that the furniture that you currently own does not translate well with that dramatic look of that photo. You can still pull in a rich (and darker) blue in accessories, pillows, a throw at the foot of the bed, dark blue matting on a gold-framed piece of art, or the rich tones in an artwork, itself. As for the TV, I would remove the top part of the dresser and put it over that. On the small wall between the closet doors, I would put a tall, rectangular mirror, either floor-length or almost, to make up for the loss of the dresser mirrors. What do you think of the bed on this other wall?

• dencarson
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I think this move made such a big difference! It looks so much bigger in person, and I already feel more relaxed in the room. Thank you to all who suggested the swap and Jan for the rendering! Definitely keeping it this way.
    Decorpatti- I understand what you say about the dark blue and the furniture. So will stick with white sheers as suggested by you and others and will use the darker blue for accents around the room as you and Jan suggested. As for the tv over the dresser, I will try to find one of those picture frame ones.
    I just started looking for a storage bench for the nook area. Was looking for a white upholstered one to match chair. Then next will look for art over night stands next. I am very excited w this new look!

• pat1250
    2 months ago

👏🏼👏🏼👍

• PRO
    2 months ago

Wow, isn't it amazing how rearranging the furniture can change the whole room! I love it now.

And thanks for keeping us updated!

• Maureen
    2 months ago

It looks so much better. It takes a fresh eye sometimes, as we get used to things.

• dencarson
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Yes definitely! I wish I tried this years ago! :)

• dencarson
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Jan!!! It was so nice to wake up to your comments this morning! And the drawings!!! Thank you!! So amazing to see the potential!! I was already sneaking peeks at white headboards!

Yesterday I had a house full of people and couldn’t wait to show my sister, mother and daughter the new room arrangement. They couldn’t believe how much bigger the room looked!

So, I’m in for removing the “granny” mirror, I actually wasn’t going to reattach it after the move, but had no immediate place to put it, because guest rooms were in use last night, so decided to keep it on until we figured out what to do with it. The furniture I have is pretty good quality, just dated, so may opt for painting it out. My sister has a furniture painter so I can get estimate. I like the idea of navy color but wondering if having 2 black nightstands and navy dresser be too many different colors. Would doing black work? Other pics of inspiration below, but do you think my room too small to pull off?

Thingy over window! I totally forgot I had that up there when I took all the pics! lol I put it up to see what the lighting would be like in room if I had something covering that.

Yes, life is short, and I do have a small tug inside about selling the bed even tho I am sure I am positive I’ll get over it after new room is revealed. :)

Thank you for all the help! I can’t wait for these next steps!!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

Paint the dresser to anything you like....

but you will have a disconnect from where you want to go........as long as the orange bed remains. Is it better if painted? Maybe......but if not a diy? I wouldn't do it. Too much $$$$ and still too much bulk for the space.

See the disconnect? : )

That is because the bed is ALWAYS the elephant in the room. Any!

• dencarson
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Yes, no worries! I totally agree your points about removing the bed. I wouldn’t have it painted or keep as is.

And so funny the sunburst mirror you have pictured above bed goes back to my very first question which started this whole thing!!

I’ll keep updating pics once I have items in my cart. Thanks again!!!

• pkpk23
    2 months ago

Can you get a new bedframe and just attach your headboard- lose the footboard and reduce bulk of bed. You could then DIY paint the headboard white to match painted dresser.

• dencarson
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Thank you pkpk23. That would have been a good option, but unfortunately, the way the bed is made we cannot separate the footboard in a manner that would not require additional work. I did consider, thanks for your suggestion!

• dencarson
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Just an update for everyone:

I have ordered new sheer white linen curtains from Amazon, arriving tomorrow.

I have also reached out to have the dresser panted black and am removing the bottom panel on the dresser to make it look a little more modern, and replacing with new brass legs and drawer hardware.

My husband landed on a 43 inch Smart TV for above the dresser. Thanks Jan for the link re digital art! Tried it on my other smart tv and it works!

I have been looking for a new headboard and platform for the bed. I am keeping the Queen. It is an adjustable bed, so after my husband looked at the product details, he thinks this one would work. Because we like the look of the tall headboard, we had a little trouble finding one tall enough and it seems most beds that had the height has this little wing on the side. It doesn't look substantial so was going give it a try. I will order within the week, (unless I hear objections lol)

Thanks again for all your feedback!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 months ago

Very nice! : )