SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amanda_slamm

Food diversity in a rural area

agmss15
3 months ago

Long before Maine became a bastion of foodie culture the sources of more exotic ingredients or cuisine were far and few between.. And by exotic I am not talking particularly odd by today’s standards. Homemade bread, plain yogurt, fresh garlic and ginger, artichokes… My parents were transplants from NY and NJ. I think many local children were introduced to very odd food at our home. My mom also didn’t bring the same grim purity standards to cooking as many of the Back to the Landers hippies. She liked cooking and food. My sister and I were often horrified and undoubtedly rude eating other BTL’s cooking.

About the time I was in high school a tiny Lebanese restaurant opened in Waterville which has had a community of Maronite Lebanese since the late 19th century. Our former senator and diplomat George Mitchell is from that community. I do not remember the restaurant not being there. I went to a semi-boarding HS near Waterville. Plus my family went to a small art house movie theater in Waterville at the drop of a hat. So we went through Waterville frequently.

After I moved back to Maine whenever in Waterville I would often stop in for spinach or meat fatayer. And more recently ma’amoul. The same lady was always there. Of late I think her daughter would be there with her. She just passed away. I didn’t know her well but I will miss her. And her spinach pies.

https://www.gallantfh.com/obituaries/laya-joseph?fbclid=IwAR01b5P_Py6jd-CSt3PoHm-FHjuL-KJgrMucfYiALgl5rzl2Lt_-Qd85Uc4_aem_ATzS2f614zUysknsS-kIYc6bNHpCCOBFk7IDD7hzDQGowpLBM50fv9v4UtO2YVXy1YU

Comments (4)