SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindac_gw

You know you live in the rural midwest when....

lindac
16 years ago

You ask the meat depertments if they will have leg of lamb for Easter and they look at you like you have 3 heads!

The first store I asked the guy behind the meat counter....and he said.."we have lamb chops, ground lamb, rack of lamb..sure we got lamb"...I 'splained I wanted a whole leg, preferably boneless and he said maybe we'll get some in...check back later.

So I tried the other meat market....the guy behind the counter said...call back on Monday (????) I reminded I wanted it for Sunday! He also pointed me to the chops and even brought some out of the cooler to show me...finally I bought the meat manager into the picture and he brought out a very large bone in leg...I said I want boned leg of lamb. And he brought out a boneless leg at $5.99 a pound and weighing about 7 to 7 1/2 pounds....and obviously from an older than baby lamb.

So I will make the 30 mile trip to "The City" and buy my lovely small New Zealand boneless lag of lamb...maybe 2...and not pay nearly $50 for for more than enough meat to feed 7 people.

And then there's the bread thing....Sunday I had company for corned beef and was going to make some rye bread but got sort of lazy and while I was buying the potatoes and cabbage, I asked the new store with the hotsy-totsy bakery depertment if they had any whole grain breads (they have baguettes, boules, rosemary rolls, Italian bread bread sticks etc etc...all of it "squishy" inside!)...the clerk pointed me to some 7 grain bread....very light in color and soft. I asked for rye??? Maybe?? and she pointed. Well I found rye and pumpernickle, boules, unsliced...and bought a boule....cost $3....could have made my own for about $.50 plus my time...so I bought it.

Anyhow, cocktails dinner comes around etc etc...I put the bread in the oven to warm and crisp...the man of the couple asks if I made it, I said I hadn't...

Anyhow it was awful!...soft, no substance, black as a coal mine but not like any pumpernickle I ever knew!

So....what's it like where you live? Can you buy baby lamb, veal and good bread??

Linda C

Comments (30)