SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barbara_pitts47

Doubling house sqft, need advice on new floorpan

Barbara pitts
3 months ago

Hello! Long time lurker first time poster. I have been designing a floor plan layout for our house remodel for about 3 years (since we bought the house originally). We thankfully have quite a large budget but of course want to avoid a full tear down. I have been agonizing over this layout for a long time and really just want advice on if you think there are any hard no's or red flags you immedaitely see, or anything you would personally change that maybe i havent thought of before. Also anything i did that you think is a really good idea. We did go back and forth with the builders a few times modifying things and taking suggestions and this is where we landed. I setup a meeting with a space planner in a few weeks to also talk through this.

Background about our family and how we will use the space. We are a young couple in our early 30's with two dogs. We love entertaining friends and will have children in the future. (no more than 2). My mother will likely live with us when the remodel is finished. We spend a lot of time in our backyard and in our living room watching tv.

Our main goals were to

• Have a large open kitchen + living room
  • Access from living space to outdoor (we live in NorCal and have a very large backyard)
  • Give the house some character (its a boring 1950's cookie cutter California house)
  • Large main bedroom suite
  • Home office

Original on left, new on right.

Its a very nice floor plan!
I really don't like the layout

Comments (12)