SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ninavee

new homeowner/old home-- need advice re: vinyl replacements

ninavee
15 years ago

Hello,

Im a relatively new homeowner, working bit by bit to make my fixer house more comfortable and decent-looking. Original wood-frame windows, w/ daylight showing between a couple of frames and sashes! Frames ok but sashes/glass in poor shape.

IÂve been reading through posts here, and already have three bids for vinyl replacement windows. I still feel unsure of how to proceed, partly because IÂm on my own to decide and partly because there's so much info that IÂm worried IÂll miss something important. IÂd sure appreciate help with a few questions!

My house:

- 1947, concrete block (stays cool inside in summer), one level, nothing special to look at

- 9 windows total; 4 sliders, 4 single-hung, 1 dbl-hung (bath) various size

- largest is approx 7Âx5Â East-facing. Only two windows face South and theyÂre shielded by roof overhang and trees.

- Seattle-area: mild winter, no extremes in heat or cold, tho plenty of gray days so maybe windows with higher VT value?

Of three bids, one quickly ruled out (due to person, not cost). Of other two, one was for Certainteed and one for VPI. IÂve not seen much about VPIÂdoes anyone have any info on these compared to others of similar cost? Also, I was told that sometimes a contractor will show and bid using one type of Certainteed windows but then actually install a lesser quality Certainteed-"Insulate" window. Has anyone heard of this?

From one post (donÂt remember where) it sounds like a well-made window doesnÂt necessarily need foam insulation in frame, particularly in mild climate. Is this accurate? Any special considerations for a 7Â long window to help prevent the frame from sagging, or should a good window & installation make it so that shouldnÂt be concern?

Bid were windows plus labor & tax. Is there any reason to them to break down the windows vs. labor? One of my bids was approx. $7100, the other approx $6500. Those numbers include extra work to shrink the window opening immediately next to front door (so thereÂs a little space between them rather than only a stud or two).

Any recommendations for a basic window thatÂs a good combination of decent quality/durability and cost? I know, I knowÂitÂs all relative. I can spend whatÂs quoted above or a little higher, though I have many more projects to go on this house so need to be careful w/ spending. I understand from reading that the installation can mean the difference between windows that last or windows w/ problems early on-- so any recommendations for a contactor or installer in the Seattle/Shoreline area?

Sorry for such a long post. Thanks for any help you can give!

Comments (15)