SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_702041706

Ideas and tips for master bathroom remodel

HU-702041706
4 months ago
last modified: 4 months ago

Looking for design ideas for our master/primary bathroom but don't want to break the bank. I welcome overall ideas as well as those focused on a particular area. Also interested in tips such as "what I wish I had done" or "glad I did this".

Overall:

- The bathroom is 30 yrs old (it shows) and has basic white floor tile and gray/white counter and shower tiling.

- We recently painted the natural maple (but yellowed) cabinets white in the interim.

- The bathroom is spacious with a lot of natural light (skylights, windows) with privacy and views of nature.

- Want neutral/natural colors, make it spa-like

- New flooring; prefer lighter colors (not a fan of dark flooring)
- Want a look that will last another 30 years :>).
- I tend to lean toward modern (but not too modern so I suppose I'm also transitional).

Vanity Area:

- Keep double sinks (but do undermount)

- Should I split vanity up into two vanities with separate mirrors above?

- Floating vanities? (but concerned about giving up storage)

- What to do with separate vanity area in "L"? Remove counter/mirror and replace with a tall built-in linen cabinet or keep extra counter space? Note: next to the vanity on left is a door to a walk-in closet.

- Note: Ignore the iron stand with wood shelves/baskets in the photo; will be removed.

- Keep mirror and just put a nice wood frame around it (instead of the current mirrored frame) OR replace entire "L" shaped mirrors with something else?

- Like having plenty of storage and counter space.

- Will be replacing door handles/hinges to black. Open to any finish on the fixtures though I hear black fixtures are more challenging to maintain.

Tub:

- Got a lot of use out of our large (fits two) jacuzzi tub until the jets stopped working.

- Replace jacuzzi tub with free-standing pedestal tub (soaking tub) that seems to be so popular? Frankly, I always liked having a platform around my jacuzzi tub so I could reach for a book, drink, shampoo/conditioner, etc. but free-standing soaking tubs look more elegant and would make the bathroom look even larger. Are free-standing soaking tubs a short-lived trend?

- Fireplace is double-sided; the other side of the fireplace in the master bedroom is grey castlerock stone ... should the fireplace use the same tile picked out for a shower or go with something else?

Shower:

- Tile/material look?

- We have a steam shower that we never use.

- Include inset(s) for soap, etc.

- Get rid of the bench inside the shower?

- Go with frameless shower glass but don't take up to the vaulted ceiling?

- Add two shower heads with a self-sprayer and a rain shower?

- Have glass wall between shower and tub area OR open up and have shower / tub appear to be part of one big area?

Appreciate any/all comments and ideas.

Thank you.

Comments (16)