SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
au_ie

Help me design our neutral living room with my husband’s AUDIOPHILES

AU IE
4 months ago
last modified: 4 months ago

please help! I love my husband’s toy which his high quality audio system, he loves vintage stuff because of its quality and I will not argue on that because Music is his Passion. I want to respect that BUT how to compromise with this set up now in our living room. The black rack of his satellite receivers, amps and audio system is an eye sore - note that he will not give up all this audio system, speakers must be there in the living room for good sound. Were trying to compromise. HELP! Sunroom is supposed to be his designated MUSIC ROOM - as MEN are visual it would be helpful if I can show him something that we can TRY and eventually consider. I want to create a more welcoming communal living room for us. Im a minimalist and he is a Maximalist.

Entering from the door

Standing inside the front door

View from the door

View from the couch - standing * note that TV is mounted and movable

View from the couch seated - note that tv can be move depends on what angle you are viewing it

view from the couch while seadted on the side - note the sliding room door is a sunroom/ MUSIC ROOM with all his VINYL vintage STUFF

view from thge TV/ Fireplace while standing

this is my DILLEMMA - HELP!

I want to keep the PEACE - but this is an EYE SORE for a communal living room that i want to suggest for us.

Sliding door with a sun room which is his music room too! / maybe suggest to move the rack inside the sunroom??

Comments (46)

• Linda Dornan
    4 months ago

Really, you’ve created a lovely space that reflects both of you.

AU IE thanked Linda Dornan
  • acm
    4 months ago

I'd move the TV down off the fireplace, in the spot currently occupied by the plant table and mirror. Then all the large black equipment is down at one level, and your TV won't be dwarfing the firebox or scraping the ceiling (and should be at proper viewing level). Then you can put some lovely art over the fireplace to draw the eye. Nobody will think anything about the presence of electronics, as they're part of modern life.

AU IE thanked acm
  • Related Discussions

Please Help Me With My Living Room Design Problems

Q

Comments (11)
    Thanks for the thought provoking questions and comments. The door between the kitchen and living room is open most of the time and there is a lot of traffic between the two rooms, so I think that I need to coordinate the color schemes. On second thought, it may be the boldness of the print in the kitchen which I dislike more than the colors. I prefer a softer look. The living room is painted paneling. I wonder how it would look to put up a chair rail in the living room and paint the wall below the chair rail a green, blue or taupe which matches the wallpaper in the kitchen but maybe in a lighter tint? A chair rail might look strange with the vaulted ceilings though. There would be one-third color on the bottom of the wall and two-thirds off-white on the top. Is the chair rail a good idea or do any of you have other suggestions? If I go with green, blue or taupe wall color beneath the chair rail and keep the off-white color above, what color sofa would look good with each color -- green would look good with sofa color? -- blue would look good with sofa color ? etc. When I look at the maple furniture against the off-white walls, I think that has a harsh look. I would like it to look softer, but am just not sure what color would accomplish that. You may be getting the idea by now that I'm color challenged -- LOL The current rug in the room is taupe and burgundy (it does look a bit gray in the picture). I do intend to replace the rug with a much larger rug -- probably 9 X 12. I like the maple furniture because it's what I grew up with. My mother and aunts have this type of furniture in their homes. But, a friend of mine recently suggested that the furniture is a little dated. So, I just wanted some other opinions about whether I should think about replacing this. I was looking for solutions to the fireplace and came across a web site called Brick Anew -- http://www.brick-anew.com/. Any opinions or experience with this product? I like the suggestion of covering over the brick, but it's probably not in my budget right now. Maybe Brick Anew would be a short-term solution and later I can box in the fireplace.
    ...See More

Help me with the design of my living room??

Q

Comments (3)
    I think that there will definitely be some good designers out there that can help you significantly. I would maybe suggest asking about the railing with whoever you are going to rent from. I suggest maybe finding a way to get rid of the railing as a whole. It doesn't seem fully necessary and it would be easier to design without it.
    ...See More

Help! Designing our Living Room/Dining Room!

Q

Comments (6)
    I think the piece the TV is on would feel more at home in the basement with the chunky coffee table. Your home looks to be more contemporary in style except for the stair railing and the big empty display/bookcase. Do you have the budget to remove the built-in? That would give you some wall space for furniture and art. What is the exterior style of your home? Can you pull off a contemporary interior design and not stray too far from the look of the house outside? I don't think the DR is large enough to add more furniture there. I suggest a great piece of art and a rug that is 36-42" larger than your table top on every side. Pull the same colors into the LR with big art on the wall opposite the FP and above a 3-seat sofa where the built-in is. You can do another rug in the LR that is similar in style and color to the DR rug. For example, here are two navy rugs that could work together. The top one picks up your wall color, and the bottom one picks up on the fireplace stone.
    ...See More

Help Me Design My Living+Dining room combo

Q

Comments (13)
    You've received some great suggestions. I think lighting is key. I would eliminate the bare bulb floor lamp by the fireplace and find some attractive lamps with shades. One for the console table, a floor lamp for the lounge chair and a table and lamp for the arm end of the sectional. I would budget to have an electrician come in and move the boob light in the dining room to center over the table once you've reduced its size. Change that to a lovely chandelier. If you can't afford all of that, you can swag a chandy from that connection to a more centered position as in the kitchen below.
    ...See More
  • AU IE
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Thank you linda, as you can see with our space the tv and his system must be there. but

i felt like its an eye sore . i felt bad about it. that i want to hide it.

• Paul F.
    4 months ago

His equipment doesn't need to be there, he wants to see it. All my electronics and amps are in a closet and controlled by voice or app.

AU IE thanked Paul F.
  • AU IE
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Paul he is the kind of man that values the sound of music- i want to respect that- and compromise because he knows what he is talking about- just want to give him other options on how i see it the ”Minimalist” way. sorry felt bad about it- sounds like i really want this black audiophiles out. i just want to create more space.

• houssaon
    4 months ago

I'm sorry, but I think the TV looks ridiculous above the fireplace. Move it to the area next to the fireplace at eye level when you are sitting on the sofa.

• Design Fan
    4 months ago

A compromise could be to consolidate the electronics into one of the two rooms and add ceiling speakers for music to the other room.

• freedomplace1
    4 months ago

The TV can’t go anywhere else. Moving it to the right of the fireplace would be blocking what looks like the house entry. And it’s too big to go in front of the window on the left. Not enough room on that side.

You could look into the Mantel Mount for the tv: https://www.mantelmount.com/

But when the mount is lowered, the tv may be blocking your house entry path.

With all the technology available, now - he really doesn’t need huge equipment and speakers, unless you guys live in Madison Square Garden. Although, maybe he doesn’t have huge speakers - i can’t tell by the pics all of what the audio pile is. Personally, I don’t have a problem with ”gear” being displayed in a place, because I have a background in music, recording, etc. But even with that, I like the idea of being able to close some of it off. And seeing your minimalist design style - I understand where you are coming from. If he is open to compromise - and if he doesn’t need to look at it all the time - see if he will let you cover the stuff on the left of the fireplace with a divider/screen at times.

https://www.elledecor.com/design-decorate/room-ideas/g27704853/room-divider-ideas/

AU IE thanked freedomplace1
  • HU-402831377
    4 months ago

Do you use the fireplace? If not, then maybe move the tv in front of the fireplace.

Your dog is so cute.

AU IE thanked HU-402831377
  • arcy_gw
    4 months ago

Not sure if he's as in tune as you think. The TV says that's the MAIN ATTRACTION. If he truly is then I feel he needs his very own room where he can retreat and sit on a chair placed directly in the middle surrounded by his stone henge of speaker boxes. #1 TV has to get off of the fireplace. #2 you need a man cave.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 months ago

Live with it, or see a marriage counselor. I've had this situation with audiophile clients. Forgive me, but I find it the very similar, somewhat annoying "arrogance" of the wine connoisseur, swirling and sniffing and holding up the waiter over a 15.00 glass in a busy dining venue.

That stuff is going exactly nowhere: ( anytime soon.

Ask for it to be contained to one room? Outcome just as doubtful. You'll have as much luck banging your head on a concrete wall.

AU IE thanked JAN MOYER
  • tozmo1
    4 months ago

Okay so you have to have the TV over the fireplace, but does it have to be such an enormous TV? the room isn't that large, why do you need such a large TV? The TV is far more distracting than the audio equipment. I think @Paul F. was referring to the tuner and control equipment being concealed, not the speakers. That console table to the right of the fireplace isn't doing a lot for the room. Perhaps that can be replaced with a closed cabinet that houses the controlling parts of the system and creates more balance on that wall.

Or perhaps viewing that is also part of the pleasure of the music. My guess is this was his passion when you met him. I agree with @Jan Moyer, you've got to live with it. It's a home not an Instagram picture so if the things in the home bring each of you joy in some way, that's all that matters. You said you wanted more space, but more space for what? If it's to create more empty space and everything about the audio equipment and tv is not negotiable, I'd get rid of the table and the mirror.

AU IE thanked tozmo1
  • auntthelma
    4 months ago

TV on the mirror wall. It is simply too big for its spot over the fireplace. Alternatively, a smaller TV over the fireplace.

Other alternative, TV in the sun room.

Other than those suggestions, reread the comments about how he is who he is and this is how your house must be.

The pile of black accessories and tuners and all doesn’t bother me as much as the giant, oversized TV.

You have a lovely home!

• Design Fan
    4 months ago

The room’s light paint and furnishings makes the black TV and equipment stand out. Have you tried uploading the photo at a paint store website (Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore) to experiment with a dark color on the TV wall to reduce the contrast? Not an accent wall but rather a camouflage wall? A dark wall would mean you need to bring in some darker accents in the rest of the room for balance.

• marmiegard_z7b
    4 months ago

Sorry piling on—but the TV is the eyesore. Probably not planning to replace any time soon, but I’d still put that on the list, to improve the space. Either really evaluate the location— maybe fireplace won’t be a focal point—and size, or eventually get frame TV & display art. Still should be smaller.

Meanwhile, if TV is over mantel, don’t keep any mantel decor objects there.
  • freedomplace1
    4 months ago

• marmiegard_z7b
    4 months ago

Another thing that could help, but I’d appreciate others chiming in, is consider a color palette that includes echoing the dark equipment and TV. I think your furniture is lovely, so really not suggesting buy new, but it is a sea of creamy solids then the dark audio & TV. Would there be a way to use through pillows or throws or modern art that has dark brown or black so the decor looks intentionally black & white, or black & cream.
    I say this most in because darker, warmer color schemes , those “ dark masses” would not stand out so much. But, any shift in that direction risks creating a hodge- podge— I’m not I’d have the talent to pull it off or that it would be an improvement. Especially if you might be working towards a better solution.

• AU IE
    Original Author
    4 months ago

@Paul F. Thank you - That's what i was envisioning and we will have a harmonious home :) as you know MEN are really visual and looking for something i can show to my husband and I an start from here and hoping that eventually I can slowly encourage him to move his satellite receivers, amps, the audio rack, the subwoofer in the sunroom where is his supposed to be " MUSIC ROOM" the TV must stay in the living room and that's the only feasible place for that for now. I was also thinking ,maybe to chance our couch instead if moving the audiophiles wont work out.

• AU IE
    Original Author
    4 months ago

@freedomplace1 thank you for your input but his amps and receivers needs to breathe or at least needs to have an air circulation - i am not a fan of the panel being placed in there just to cover it, it will added dilemma to me- im a minimalist , maybe i will suggest to move the rack together with his amps, subwoofer and receivers in the sunroom . i need a more visual plan that i can show him and we can discuss. i appreciate you so much!

• AU IE
    Original Author
    4 months ago

@marmiegard_z7b i love that idea to paint the back of the tv and camouflaged it? even though it sounds too daring for me ha ha ha ,I need a more visual plan for that I can present to my husband -the décor on the mantle has its reason... I need to cover the wires that is coming from the tv and his audio system.. thank you for your input i appreciate you.

• Paul F.
    4 months ago

I have loads of equipment that 'breathe' in a closet. I built double fans into the wall... there is a thermostat and a temperature sensor. When the equipment is on the fans draw the heat out and pumps the heat under my house... it could easy go into the attic if you have one.

• AU IE
    Original Author
    4 months ago

@tozmo1 i love this idea! the table on the right can be replaced with a closed cabinet where i can move his receivers , amps and control equipment there . I would need a visual example for this that i can present to my husband for discussion and consideration. HELP! If the table and round mirror needs to be out - im willing to remove it to make the controlling audio equipment less destructing and have it on the closed cabinet instead and open the window for more light . and yes the TV must stay there , something i cannot change, when i say i needed more space what i meant is to make some room in our space without putting anything anymore stuff. not to make it look tight with his gigantic speakers. thank you and i appreciate your input!

• AU IE
    Original Author
    4 months ago

@JAN MOYER thank you for your input Jan! I'm trying to keep the peace by compromising first- at the moment- haha ha MEN are visual i am hoping that i can present him something that we can discuss and consider and hoping that i can encourage him to try it or change it - music is his passion and i want to respect that its special for him and maybe viewing his audio equipment adds satisfaction for him- i want to put myself in his shoes too and hoping he can also put his on mine see my good intention in suggesting a more welcoming space for us. Im willing to give up the side table and round mirror and maybe get a closed cabinet where i can ,move his audio rack so it can be less destructing.

• lisalane
    4 months ago

I think removing the console from the LR and moving the stereo components to that location is a great solution. Leave the components on the current rack but leave space between the rack and the speaker next to it. Even nudging the speakers a couple of inches away from the fireplace might help the look. Your plant will be happy in front of the window on the other side of the fireplace. Your husband is an audiophile and you enjoy the sound so I wouldn’t try to hide the equipment (which is really impossible anyway when you have a large setup). It is a big part of your life!

• lisalane
    4 months ago

PS. Could the subwoofer serve as an end table somewhere in the room? Would help to have that off the fireplace wall.

• lisalane
    4 months ago

And this is super picky so ignore me if need be. But I would remove everything on the mantle. There really isn’t room for,anything there. Your Christmas plants on the console would look great on your FP hearth!

• aziline
    4 months ago

If you want more black accents to help balance the speakers you could reframe the artwork with a thicker frame. It isn't the cheapest option but adds black without adding more stuff. I'd also reframe the ones in the dining room.

• freedomplace1
    4 months ago

So the whole idea is that the screen does not have to be covering the equipment ALL the time. It is flexible and easily moved. Also, you have a window there on that side... How is putting the equipment into a closed cabinet on the windowless side going to help it to ”breathe” any better? Plus, the cabinet will be right in the house entryway, and unless you use a cabinet with sliding doors, when cabinet doors are open it will block the passageway. And you are trading your entry console and mirror for his audio stuff.

I’m sorry but imo it’s a ridiculous situation. He already has a sunroom full of equipment . A lot of that equipment could be moved to that adjoining room and run from there.

AU IE thanked freedomplace1
  • bichonbabe
    4 months ago

I would downsize the TV, remove the decor from the mantle and place all the equipment to the right of the FP by removing the table , mirror etc. Move the speakers a bit away from the FP too. And Paul F is correct. that equipment could be placed in a closet somewhere. My husbands is all tucked away and properly vented.

• AU IE
    Original Author
    4 months ago

@acm thank you for your input and i appreciate you- and i love your suggestion - as men are visual it would be helpful to show something to my husband that i can present and would open for discussion and eventually we can consider the change. note that our tv is mounted now above the fireplace and is movable depends on which angle you are seated, my main concern is the gigantic black audio equipment where the rack is stealing the coziness of the living room. its hard to be in my shoes nowadays ha ha ha

• lisalane
    4 months ago

High end audio components shouldn’t be in a closed cabinet. They do need airflow around them. Looks like you have a nice component rack so embrace it! Sounds like the system is wanted in the LR - probably the perfect place for listening. Give the rack a try on other side of fireplace. You won’t have a console but you’ll have a less cluttered space.

• Fran Gil
    4 months ago

Maybe paint the wall and the fireplace brick black?

• partim
    4 months ago

Everything in the room is pale except for the black audio equipment, which is why it stands out like a sore thumb. And it's clumped in one area as if it were unwelcome in the room.

You've already identified the option for some of it to move into another room. If that happens, it still leaves you with the black speakers, subwoofer, TV and the fireplace opening. The eye is drawn to the only things in the room that aren't off-white.

An easy thing to do is to balance the room by adding dark colour around the room. For example, grab a few dark scarves or articles of clothing and wrap your pale pillows to see the effect Paint the frame of the white mirror dark. Get a dark tray for the ottoman. Maybe use the darkest blue from your artwork, if you feel black is too harsh.

For whatever equipment stays in the room, balance that wall. Remove the table and put the equipment stand to the right of the fireplace, so the window is uncovered. Leave the subwoofer to the left of the fireplace. Remove decor items from the mantle. Put your most interesting piece of art to the right of the fireplace - right now there's nothing much attractive to look at there.

I love the idea of painting that wall dark.

If it's in the budget, get a new cabinet for the equipment. Ours is in a cabinet with doors, with almost all of the back paneling cut away or removed. Easy to manage cords that way, and zero concern about equipment overheating. But if he wants to see his equipment, a lower cabinet is less visually imposing. Or if he uses the existing cabinet, can he put some of it elsewhere so nothing sits on top of the cabinet. A wood one is not as harsh looking as black, doors or no doors.

For the speakers, we replaced the black speaker cloth with a light coloured speaker cloth that blended better into our walls. We ordered the special cloth from the internet and replaced it ourselves. Easy to do. Again, less imposing. And speaker boxes can be painted without compromising the sound. Don't squash the plants against the speakers.

Hope you find some things useful in these suggestions.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 months ago

You have no rooms you adore looking at. He has entirely taken over two rooms..." because music is his passion"

I'm not the marriage counselor, I'd simply ask if this feels respectful to you? and your need for your senses and minimalist monochromatic calm. It is no less your need than his for music.

Just saying,,,,,,

You didn't meet and marry him yesterday- : )but living with this is like living with an engineer.

AU IE thanked JAN MOYER
  • Iri
    4 months ago

Can the rack with all the equipment not really be moved into the very very close nearby music room? It will be close enough to fiddle with (and use remote controls on) but out of sight. You might need to run smurf tubes for the wiring (and might need to hire that out depending on the structure of the house).

Add black accents as advised to make the speakers and TV less bossy if you want--the room is quite nice already even without doing so.

But that rack is just tacky and it doesn't have to be RIGHT THERE.

• chispa
    4 months ago

He has 2 rooms with music stuff. Have him pick one and you get the other one.

My DH is also an audiophile and we came to that understanding 25 years ago. He can have a room to place any equipment he wants, but in "my" main living room there are no freestanding speakers allowed or any "ugly" visible equipment Your husbands equipment size is where my DH started 25 years ago ... the current speakers are now over 5 ft tall and weight 500 lbs each! Most of the other equipment is in a walk-in closet next to the listening room, which was designed for 2-channel audio when we built 2 years ago. And again there is no equipment at all in "my" family room, as we each get a room to "decorate". I'm sure if something were to happen to me, he would quickly buy "ugly" speakers to place in the built-ins in the family room! lol

• Jennz9b
    4 months ago

The biggest problem here is the TV. it should not be over the fireplace and it’s also WAY too large. It looks like its looming over the room about to fall and crush any inhabitants. it is hung way too high for viewing- it’s supposed to be at eye level. it honestly looks ridiculous and terrible. (Sorry!) Regarding the music equipment- this challenge pales in comparison. the good news is that its 2023: Music lovers in 2023 don't need such large equipment. modern high end equipment is much smaller and can be hidden away without compromising sound quality.

• Iri
    4 months ago

I know and I suspect our OP knows that when this TV is replaced, it'll be replaced with one EVEN BIGGER. That is how these things go.

This is the TV room and it has great sound. What can be disguised or moved to the next room should be disguised or moved to the next room, but the TV must stay and the speakers must stay in all their grand ginormity.

• chispa
    4 months ago

" modern high end equipment is much smaller "

I wish! I have not found this to be true at all. I guess you need to define what high end is and what the equipment is.

• partim
    4 months ago

It kind of makes you long for the days of the stereo console. Some of them were such attractive pieces of furniture.

• partim
    4 months ago

Since the TV is 100% staying in this room above the fireplace, the room will be visually lopsided even if all the stereo stuff is moved out. It will look better with some other dark colours in the room. Doesn't need to be a new sofa, just some darker decor items. I'd start with that to begin with. Maybe pick up some of the blues from your art work.

Then move the stereo rack to where you have the table and decor items. Eventually you could replace it with one in a wood tone that either goes with your dining room table or the aquarium stand. Maybe with doors, maybe lower and wider so components can go side by side. Add art work above it, to give the eye an attractive place to go, because the mirror in that spot is too bland.

Cord covers can go along the baseboard or around doors. Paint them to match the walls or the baseboard. Amazon or hardware stores have all different kinds, very easy to use.

It seems unlikely that any of us will be able to produce a photoshopped room that will inspire him with your vision. I think you need to take the first steps to make the room more attractive, move out the table and decor items, and ask him to just move the stereo stuff either to the other room or to the right of the fireplace.

• Aphaea
    4 months ago

Jumping in here since I've been away from Houzz for a few days. What struck me first from your pictures--and truthfully, it slugged me in the face--is the television, not the audio equipment. It is that horrendously sized television that dominates and strangles the entire living room. Sure, the equipment could be housed in a low black cabinet and look great with some black decor and pillows to enhance it, but that television's color and especially size (and that angle; oh my god, it looks like it is going to fall off the wall and crush everything at any moment) is the most, by far, crushing element in that room. Get a much smaller one and as someone above suggested, put it in the fireplace if you don't use it. (Better for your spine too.) If someone can photoshop the room without the television and maybe put some black pillows on the sofa, that could provide a good visual.

In the interest of fairness, I do want to note that I do not own a television and haven't for about 35 years. So sizes these days shock me.

• jackowskib
    4 months ago

I would rather keep peace and control what I can in this scenario - like change the floor to wood to better blend the color tones in the space or change the rug or change the wall color...... if you're not inclined to address the obnoxious TV size then makes no sense to criticize the audio equipment being there. Consider moving the audio equipment to the right side of fireplace so it isn't blocking the window (the console and mirror don't compliment the space anyway, imo). Perhaps the discussion might be more around getting a better size/color for the audio shelving unit to blend in better.

I'm no expert but the furniture and wall accents in the room do not look like that of a "minimalist" to me.

• partim
    4 months ago

With a dark wall, the fireplace, window and art work stand out.

• PRO
    GannonCo
    4 months ago

Samsung Frame TV you have best of bothe worlds. It looks like art and turns on to be a TV.

It amazes me when people hand these tTV's sticing 8" off a wall with wires dangling in a nice room.

Speakers come in many wood species and colors. Telling and Audiophile to shop for new gear is like giving candy to a child.

Update his equipment to fit the room. Tech has changed that audio gear is shrinking and also is more pleasant to look at. Actually some will accent your room vs detract from it.

Look on Audiogon and get some huge discounts on barely used equipment.

In wall speakers are also an option.

By the way those speakers are not placed properly anyway so some smaller ones on stands would help with sound and looks.