SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
idaclaire2

"Later" careers ...

Ida Claire
5 months ago
last modified: 5 months ago

Have any of you left the corporate world or other demanding, "high profile" career and settled into a new job that you truly enjoy? I'm going to be severanced out of my current position next year due to a change in control, and at 61 (I'll be 62 or thereabouts when this happens), I'm not sure what I want to do. I feel like I still have a few more working years left in me, but I don't really like the thought of another senior level corporate job that will require putting out constant fires, travel, etc. Just curious about transitioning into something that would be fun and rewarding as my final hurrah before hanging it up for good.

Comments (38)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    5 months ago

Not myself, but my mom, after retiring from her decades-long career heading a nonprofit career center, got her CDA and started working in child daycare programs. She loved being with those little children. She volunteered at public after school programs too, reading/mentoring young kids. She did that until her mobility declined and she couldn't manage it any more. She really missed it too.

Ida Claire thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • girlnamedgalez8a
    5 months ago

My son & his wife are both going to retire from the State of TX Adult Protective Service next year. They have both been there 25 years, are 51 years old & will draw full retirement benefits. They both plan to go to work in less stressful fields. My DIL is thinking of doing office work in an elementary school. DS has several options but has not really made up his mind what he wants to do. They are both extremely ready for a change. Sounds like you have some time to look around & find something that you can enjoy.

Ida Claire thanked girlnamedgalez8a
  • Related Discussions

Losing my job! Downsizing my career, gulp.

Q

Comments (29)
    Hi again Carol, How gratifying to hear your report of how things are going for you and family. Speaking of family - I hope that yours became accustomed to your upgraded situation without too much distress. Interesting, isn't it, how people get used to seeing others (and themselves?) in sort of a rut, following a familiar path? Sometimes I wonder whether some of the partially/slightly negative attention that they pay to someone else's changing course may have some connection with their unhappiness with their present situation, possibly having some inner desire to do something similar, but being rather unwilling to give that desire house-room, whether from inertia (? - I thought that there was a more precise word, called son, but this is the best that we can think of at the moment), fear or whatever motive. I'm pleased that you're finding some success in the field that you've chosen to pursue, and hope that it proceeds apace. Son and I attended a networking project called "The Beehive" last year that's rather different and enables one to meet a number of folks who might be able to offer mutual support/business contact/development possibilities. I heard of it through an economic development council that I've been connected to in our area and took son to one of their initial local meetings. Actually, it was while I was taking son home from their first meeting that I attended that my car got smacked! They divide a number of people in a room into several groups of about 4 each. They pass out a business envelope to each participant, with a card inside. Each person becomes a "Queen Bee", writing some question relating to an idea that they'd like to develop their business around. For me, a financial planner, instead of writing, "Would you like to pay less income tax?" (which would focus on the hearer[s] only), they encourage me to write, "Do you know someone who would like to pay less income tax?" (asking the hearer to think whether they may know of someone in that situation, in addition to themselves). Another member of the small group becomes the "worker bee", and when the round begins, starts by asking the question in her/his own group. If someone knows of a person who might be interested, s/he gives her/his business card to the worker bee. The worker bee takes that Queen Bee's question around to each of the other groups in turn, asking the question. If someone there knows of someone that might be interested, they hand their business card to the worker bee and the worker bee departs, to visit another "hive". They get some hype and speed worked into the situation, each flying worker wondering whether they've been to this or that hive yet, and when a worker bee has finished in a hive and departed, the members of that hive put up their hands and shout, "Over here! Over here!" to attract another worker bee. When each worker bee has visited every hive, they all gather around the coordinator and each reads her/his question in turn, with the other worker bees handing over their own cards if they are interested in that question. Then each worker returns to his/her own hive and hands the question card with the group of cards that s/he gathered to the "Queen Bee" who wrote the question. They usually run four rounds, if there were four members in each "hive" - so everyone gets to be "Queen" once, and "worker" once. They usually run four rounds - which means that each person puts four questions of interest to each participant in the meeting that night. Each participant usually goes home with a fistful of pre-qualified cards in her/his sweaty little hand. The recipient of the cards then contacts the owner of each card received to ask for the contact. This avoids the pressure of the person contacted being put on the spot. I think that several friendships are developed that way, in additon to there being an ongoing live contact. If one of the other members who gave me his card and meets someone a while later who might be interested, s/he might give my name to that person, or tell me about the person's possible interest. Check them out at www.neworldcoaching.com. I've offered a "Christmas gift" to folks here on the "Finance" and "KT" forums, plus here for several years now, a gift that should save them hundreds, maybe thousands, in their lifetime, in addition to keeping former friendships warm. Write the names of everyone you've known since childhood, with contact info, then, over time, add items that relate to them - training, profession, interests, hobbies, vacation destinations, etc. When you want to know something - ask the folks on your database. As time goes along, if you develop some items of interest to several of them, you might begin a sort of newsletter to send to all or a portion. As people become familiar with what you're doing, they may contact you when they have a question, etc. If you can be helpful in such a situation, that guy owes you one, right? Isn't that rather shameful - offering the same (no direct cost) "Christmas gift" to the same people, over and over?! I guess if one's as frugal as I, there are some things about which it gets rather hard to shame them! Well - I didn't do it last Christmas, at least. I hope that some recent comers weren't left without another potential arrow in their quiver, because of it. Good wishes as you step forward into your future, Carol! ole joyful
    ...See More

OT: Where did you end up career-wise?

Q

Comments (91)
    So many of you have been helpful to me over the years here, I thought I'd join in. BS in Music Education from University of Illinois back in the 70s. DH also graduated from there; same year. We followed his career from the start, but I always found a job as a High School or Middle School Choral Director. Once DS and DD came along, I switched to Elementary School (fewer after school commitments) and that's where I stayed for awhile. We moved to NC when DD #2 was born and that's when I decided to take a break from teaching and stayed home, enjoying the time with them and the chance to decorate, of course! I went back to teaching full time when DD #2 was 5, and she came to school with me every day. Those were great years....hard but I'd never trade the experience. Once she moved on to middle school our financial situation changed and I no longer needed to work full time. I decided once again to stay at home, the last year all three kids were still at home with us. I still teach occasionally, filling in for a maternity leave now and then, and subbing for music teachers when they need someone. But I love the freedom I have now to pursue other interests. I was a voice major but never had the time to practice while I was teaching full time. Now I study with a great teacher and sing professionally with a couple of vocal ensembles, along with church gigs. DH and I are empty nesters but still in the same house we bought 25 years ago. It has seen its share of change and has served us well. Our needs continue to change, as we now look for ways to accommodate our growing family (both daughters have recently married) in the years ahead. Thanks all for your wonderful advice and for sharing so many of your stories!
    ...See More

KT'ers line of work or career

Q

Comments (61)
    I spent 12 years at the telephone company. I worked directory assistance,and then long distance, I also helped with keeping the directory up -to-date and with keeping track of the hours everyone worked. I stayed home for a couple of years and when DD started school. I was bored and started working at the University of Georgia part time. Eventually, had part-time hours and full time work so I went to full time. I worked for the Institute of Continuing Legal Education. We provided cont. Ed. seminars for attorneys. I was an Event Planner officially but didn't plan the events. (go figure). I got the programs after they were over. I was the person that everyone went to when they needed something done yesterday. I retired May 1, 2010 but did go back to work in Feb. & March to help out during their busy time. It was nice. I was just part-time again and just had to go do my job and go home. No responsibility! The money was nice too. Linda
    ...See More

More career advice

Q

Comments (39)
    Here' what I don't like about the technical position; you are not at the heart of the organization's mission, you are supporting those who are. That would be less interesting to me for starters. Also, working at home does make work-life balance easier, but as long as you do not have a long commute and/or lots of travel or entertaining, and if you have resources to help (DH and hired help), I think the office position is entirely doable. I might also add, that the early years are easier to juggle ... i personally found parenting most intensive from say grade 6-9.
    ...See More
  • bbstx
    5 months ago

Ida, do you want to work full time or would your rather work part-time or seasonally? For 15 years, I worked seasonally - 3 or 4 months a year. That was about all I wanted to work, but I finally quit because I was working during the season that DH and I preferred to travel.

Is there a paraprofessional branch of the work you are trained for? If so, would you want to step over into that?

My first thought was are you being severanced out because of age? If so and if you want to continue working where you are for a few more years (perhaps until you qualify for Medicare at 65), maybe you ought to seek legal counsel.

Ida Claire thanked bbstx
  • jmck_nc
    5 months ago

I don't have a high profile, corporate job. I have been a preschool teacher for the past 15 years and this past year I have taken Pilates teacher training. I have given my notice that I will not be returning next year and will be teaching pilates, possibly opening a studio with 2 others. I have been teaching Pilates a bit already and have set up a home studio where I see clients. I know you enjoy fitness and wonder if something in that realm might be a good next step. PS-I'm 62.

Ida Claire thanked jmck_nc
  • 3katz4me
    5 months ago

I did not get a bridge job between the corporate job and retirement. At 62, after working for 50 years, I decided it was time to be done with work for pay. I spent most of my adult life either in positions that required 50-75% travel and/or time consuming, demanding executive level roles. I loved my work but I also had a lot of personal responsibilities and I felt like I had two jobs I could never keep up with. I thought I'd be busy and happy enough with just the "personal job" and that has been the case for the last four years.

I have a friend a few years older than me who got laid off in her early 60s (and also remarried) who was sure she wanted to get another job. Fortunately getting a job wasn't that easy and she realized she was busy enough and didn't really want another paid job after all. She has also been very happy with her decision.

Ida Claire thanked 3katz4me
  • lakeaffect_gw
    5 months ago

What about human services, there is so much need in our counrty for help with housing, domestic violence, LGBTQ+ advocacy for kids and mental health and substance abuse assistance, and talented administrators are needed at every level in HS. The pay isn’t the best, but the time off is usually generous, the health insurance is decent, there is flexibility (due to the lower wages, many HS agencies offer hybrid and/or flexible work schedules) and you are helping your own community. I retired after many years in manufacturing and higher ed and landed at a private HS agency, and I enjoy knowing we have a shared goal of helping our communities, and my years as larger and more profit driven entities has garnered me a reputation as a problem solver, and in a year and a half, I have carved out a 2 day in the office, 2 days at home schedule and a job that plays to my strengths. Ida, our industry needs compassionate, smart, creative people like you, please consider HS as your ”next act”.

Ida Claire thanked lakeaffect_gw
  • Ida Claire
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Thanks so much for the input! You've already given me much to think about.

I'm not being severanced due to age, but because I don't wish to relocate which will be a requirement with the acquiring company. My unwillingness to move triggers the severance provision, so it's all on the up and up. I'll actually walk away with a decent package that could allow me to just take some time off if I want. But part of me feels like there's still fun, interesting work to be had, even if it doesn't come with the same financial rewards.

• Jilly
    5 months ago

I don’t know if ”take my friend Jilly on a trip around the world” is an option, but it should be.

We were just talking about England, remember?!

Ida Claire thanked Jilly
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    5 months ago

My DH and I retired very young, and I have been working part time for 12+ years. I travel into NYC one day a week, and do some work from home, prob about 2 days a month.

I would like to do this as long as possible. I think working is good for me, and I really like the mental stimulation and time with colleagues of different backgrounds and ages.

Is there someone from your firm who has plans to work elsewhere, or start up a firm? I followed an ex-boss who started his own firm. I think leveraging off of people you know is optimal where possible. I don't think I'd want to have to "prove" myself with all new people.

What do you think you might find fun and rewarding? Are you willing to get training? I'd really like to do a RISD ID online course but I think the chances of that turning into a job are close to zero.

Ida Claire thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Ida Claire
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Ok, Jilly and I are going to England to take walks and hang out afterwards in a cozy pub! Can one get paid for such a thing? 😁

I had an opportunity today to spend some time with first responders in connection with a charity drive that I led for my organization, and it occurred to me how what they do helps someone every single day. How awesome it would be to do work that truly made a difference in lives.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    5 months ago

Yes, if you make it Insta-worthy!

Your second idea may be better tho. : )

Ida Claire thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Funkyart
    5 months ago

I think I missed an update somewhere along the way-- I thought you already left a high-level administrative position with a large corporation a few years ago ... and I thought took a position for an organization you loved related to teaching ESL? Did you go back to the corporate world?

I have had mid-high level positions-- not tons of power but positioned to influence/make a difference and also to have the ability to pick my roles and assignments. It was often high stress. I didnt retire or start a new career, but I left the "start up" environment and went to consulting in the government sector. The pay is much less but I am highly valued, I love my employer and most days I love my work. I still work long hours at times-- but even still much less than before.

I have put thought into what I will do "next".. I think my current project will be my last BIG project (it will be completed in 2027) but not sure what will follow.

My company is pretty exceptional in that it would allow me to stay on part time as a high-level consultant (we've already discussed this). That makes a lot of sense from a financial perspective ... but it wouldn't be anything NEW Sometimes I think I would enjoy something much more simple. I have loved my short stints selling cameras and also selling books.

Ida Claire thanked Funkyart
  • Ida Claire
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Funky, I retired officially last year from a high-level executive administration position after 29 years of service, but actually went to work for another corporation in a similar role. I love my current position fiercely, and am saddened that everything will change next year, but such is the nature of M&A. My ESL teaching gig was a volunteer position, and I didn't return to teach again this semester due to increased family care needs. I just didn't have the bandwidth for it.

I'm finding all of your stories fascinating! It's encouraging to think about people who have found something different and rewarding later in life.

Then again, I took a day of PTO yesterday and spent the morning curled up next to the fireplace, sipping coffee and petting cats. That was pretty darn compelling too.

• 3katz4me
    5 months ago

If I were you I think I’d just take advantage of the severance with no particular plans and see what unfolds. You may find your life fills up with stimulating and enjoyable unpaid activity.

Ida Claire thanked 3katz4me
  • Oakley
    5 months ago

I agree with 3katz. I haven't worked since the kids were in school, so I have no experience to offer. If you're getting a good severance I'd do exactly what 3katz suggested. You could always apply for early social security but you'd get less. Just make sure you have good insurance until Medicare kicks in.

Let the job come to you. Happenstance. Take your time, sip coffee, ponder, go antiquing, and relax from the rat race.

Is there a university nearby? My best job was at OU being one of three of the assistants to all the professors in one of the departments. Universities offer a lot of part time employment, not just to students either.

With each of my pregnancies the couple in town who owned a greenhouse would hire me until the babes were born. Low pay but I got to bring home lots of free plants!

Thos verse from Take it Easy is good advice.

Take it easy, take it easy
    Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy
    Lighten up while you still can
    Don't even try to understand
    Just find a place to make your stand
    And take it easy

Ida Claire thanked Oakley
  • bragu_DSM 5
    5 months ago

take early retirement and enjoy. volunteer. it takes time to adjust [it did for me anyway]

Ida Claire thanked bragu_DSM 5
  • gsciencechick
    5 months ago

Yes, looking at college campuses, there are a lot of openings.

Like jmc I will probaby teach Pilates and other fitness once I retire. My sister retired from the VA as a program support in adult day services and teaches Zumba at different senior centers and activities at nursing homes.

Restaurants always need hostesses.

The garden centers also look like a fun place to work and I see a lot of retirees there.

Is there a local community coalition centered around health and wellness like improving walking, bicycling, access to healthy foods, parks, etc.

Ida Claire thanked gsciencechick
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    5 months ago

I was ready to retire and it was early. But the thought of going back to work is anathema. My current position -- lady of leisure -- is the best I've ever had and will stick with it as long as I can!

Part of this was realizing how much of the stress at work I brought myself. Anything I do, I can create stress...never good enough...need to do more. Once I realized how much stress was self-generated, I realized there was no job that was *not* going to be stressful for me, I just let it go. Now with being able to do whatever I want, whenever I want, with a good dose of hurkle durkle, and procrastination, I'm about as stress free as I've ever been. But you can ask DH if my being at home and running the household is stressful for him and the cats -- I think you might get a different answer!

Ida Claire thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Tina Marie
    5 months ago

I also retired early (in my 50s), but have never had a thought of going back to work. I did work (university) until I had my years in for full retirement. My life is full and rewarding (thus far LOL) being retired. I am involved in community and church activities and various volunteer stints. I choose not to volunteer on a regular, scheduled basis, instead finding opportunities to help. My husband has not yet bitten the retirement bullet, but he owns a business and works (for the most part) from home. He has reduced his hours and we are enjoying trips and having more time together. I LOVE retirement. I love having the time to do what I/we want to do. I love being able to head out on a trip at the drop of a hat. I love spending time with friends. I have several interests and enjoy having time to spend on them. Being retired doesn't have to mean doing nothing.

I'm sorry your new position is ending. From previous posts, I can tell you really like it. My advice would be as some others have posted - take a bit of time off before deciding or moving right away into a new position. Take a look at things available - both paid jobs and volunteer, etc. I'm sure you will find something that makes you happy. I wish you all the best in this next stage!

Ida Claire thanked Tina Marie
  • Ida Claire
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Thanks, all. Such helpful insight from each of you!

I've always been the 'primary breadwinner' in our household, so to even consider scaling down job-wise is understandably frightening, I think. Full retirement? Well ... I could. But I also am not entirely sure that I'm "done" making money, ya know?

I don't mind telling you that I've pursued a couple of positions recently that align with what I've done most recently in my career, but was not chosen for either of them. Oddly enough, along with the sting of rejection, there was also an overwhelming sense of, "Oh thank God -- now I don't have to do THAT!" It sounds a bit nutty, but I'm currently listening to an audiobook about overcoming rejection (felt it would be timely), and it describes my own emotions and thoughts perfectly. I think the indignation at not being chosen, coupled with a sense of blissful relief at not being chosen, are probably quite common. I'm understanding that these rejections have merely been "data points", enabling me to realize what I do, and - perhaps even more importantly - what I DON'T want to do going forward. One of the roles I interviewed for would have required fairly significant travel and work in an extremely fast-paced environment. I can do that. I've done that many times and have done it well. Part of me felt excited by the opportunity to challenge myself in such a role once more, but the larger part of me didn't REALLY want to put forth that much exhausting effort again.

You see, I'm learning through this process!

Right now I AM leaning towards just taking some time off when my employment ends later next year. Until then, I have ample and enjoyable work to do, with colleagues I absolutely love being around. That in itself is a gift! I don't necessarily believe that there is a universal "plan" in place for any of us, but I can attest with absolute certainty that I've never gone without what I needed - and most of what I wanted. I should really hold onto that realization and look to the future with a secure hope.

Again, I appreciate you all for sharing your stories and helping me regain my perspective.

• lisaam
    5 months ago

I closed my hospitality business after 30 years in late 2021. I currently work p/t in a busy, interesting, super- kind veterinary clinic and I do 'work-study' at my yoga studio. The work is not cerebral and is challenging only in spurts but it is a very kind, supportive atmosphere. It's fairly low paying but we at least have benefits.

I really need structure and these two activities give me that, a social network, and enough free time. No stress.

I sometimes wish for something a bit "more" but do not want to go back to restaurants/ catering.

Ida Claire thanked lisaam
  • daki
    5 months ago

DH and I always talked about retiring early, but when the year came, I was terrified. Reading the posts here about early retirement at that time reassured me. At the same time I also expected (and hoped) to be laid off, but that did not happen and ended up giving my notice at the end of 2019 and retired remotely and awkwardly in the spring of 2020.

I miss my co workers, but do not miss the stress. I taught myself to weave cloth on a loom, and that uses the similar thinking and analysis that healthcare data did. It is just an artiistic hobby, but it brings me joy.

I stay busy, but more importantly, time slowed down a little and I’m able to just enjoy living.

Ida Claire thanked daki
  • jojoco
    5 months ago

While I didn't retire from a high paying job, I have worked on Wall Street and in busy editorial jobs. I can say without question that being a tour guide is the most rewarding job I have ever had. I started that job at age 55 and my only regret is that I didn't discover this field earlier in life. Oh, and the pay is about what I would make at places like Target or Whole Foods. Lucky for me, I'm not in it for the money.

Jo

Ida Claire thanked jojoco
  • Ally De
    5 months ago

Ida, you've got a good head on your shoulders and you will figure out the best path.

FWIW, I'd go into it with an open mind. Take the unemployment and relax and enjoy your new-found freedom. You will know soon enough if you want to re-enter the workforce in some way, or if you're loving your new lifestyle.

Many things in life become clear with time. After working for decades, you are due for a nice break. Take the break and let the answer come to you. :-)

Ida Claire thanked Ally De
  • dani_m08
    5 months ago

I’ve been ”forced” to retire early due to health issues (several - but they all originate from my underlying diagnosis of systemic mastocytosis - a rare form of mast cell disease). I was a partner at a 700+ attorney law firm. I also co-founded a wind farm development company. LOTS of stress. But I enjoyed it. It’s been difficult to not have that part of my daily life anymore.

I’ve always been able to take care of myself (and my daughters). I was the primary bread winner when I was married - I’ve been divorced for 20 years now (wow!). I’ve been engaged twice since then - broke both engagements off (first one was very difficult to do - but it was a situation where I had to put my children first— he was a great guy - just had a difficult time dealing with the ”chaos” of two children. The second was an amazing guy - but it was a rebound - and while my head wanted to marry him, my heart wouldn’t let me). I have been with my SO for 15 years - he’d like to get married - maybe I’ll finally do it!???!!?

I miss my law practice - I miss working on big transactions and seeing my close work friends daily. I’ve always been a very social person - and that’s changed (more so in the past few years).

It’s also been very difficult for me to adjust to feeling like I’m being ”taken care of” by my SO. While I still have money/investments (and we have decided to renovate ”my” house that I paid off 12-13 years ago), it still feels awkward to me. We have joint credit cards that we use for all purchases - he pays them off each month. I also feel bad - because while I am proud of my SO and all of his accomplishments over the oast few years, to be completely honest, I am a bit jealous. He’s an attorney also (we used to be law partners) - and is now managing partner of the law firm - a position I thought that I would hold someday. Plus, he has grown his personal business (# of clients + many complicated/interesting transactions) quite a bit over the past several years - we used to do business development together + work on transactions together often - and I really miss not having that be a part of our relationship anymore.

It’s just not where I thought I’d be - while I didn’t formally retire (and I keep hoping that I’ll be able to return to practicing full time sometime soon) - I haven’t worked full time since I was 44. Recently, I was diagnosed with mast cell leukemia. I knew that my systemic mastocytosis could “develop“ into something else - however, mast cell leukemia is EXTREMELY RARE (and the worst out of the possible outcomes). Stress is a huge aggravating factor - so, working full time (or even part time right now) is not even a possibility. At least for now . . .

I feel very useless. My ”identity” was tied to my career. I feel lost - and it’s been awhile - and that feeling hasn’t gone away.

During this time off, I have received an advanced legal degree from an Ivy League school (not trying to brag - but it’s something thing that makes me feel like I’ve accomplished something). I didn’t need the degree - it isn’t something that will advance my career (if I have one again). But it did give me some purpose for ahwile - and help me feel like I’d accomplished something.

When I was young, I wanted to be a writer. When I lived in Michigan during 2nd - 5th grade, our school district (maybe it was state wide - it seemed quite large to me back then) would have an annual “Young Authors’ Conference” - where one student would be selected to represent the school at the conference each year. I represented my elementary school in 2nd, 4th, and 5th grade. There are times that I’ve thought that maybe this is what I should try to do.

Ida Claire- I realize that I’ve offered ZERO advice/help - and I apologize. I’m just having an especially difficult day today. I’ve been trying to get the house decorated for Christmas - and even though I’ve put quite a bit of energy into it over the past week (well, for me it’s been quite a bit) — I feel like I haven’t accomplished very much (three trees are decorated). My outside lights haven’t been finished (two different people hired - both failed due to high pitched roof even though the lights have been hung the past two years without issue). The lights on the covered patio haven’t even been started. I usually reveive compliments about my exterior lights - but they are just ”unfinished” - and it makes me sad.

And I haven’t even put out one of my nutcrackers - and I have a pretty big collection (only ones that don’t have teeth - or where the teeth are hidden by their beards - plus, they are all sparkly ones from Kurt Adler’s Hollywood collection) - or any of my gnomes (collection that my daughters and I have put together over the years) - or my Christmas village.

My house is mid renovation - everything feels/looks unorganized - gives me a headache.

I DESPERATELY need to select a countertop material for my master bathroom by tomorrow. It seems like it should be easy - but I can’t seem to do it. It’s beautiful Carrara tile on shower walls + around freestanding tub + charcoal slate tile (herringbone pattern) on floor). I have an accent tile for back wall of alcove where vanity will be installed. I think it should just be a solid white - which I can use for shower curb + top of pony wall + shelf and bottom of shower niche. I just need a neutral white - not warm - but not super cool. My SO is becoming inpatient with me - and I understand why. I just can’t seem to concentrate long enough to make a simple decision (if anyone would like to help me select something - I’d really appreciate it!)

My grandson’s second bday is this weekend - my daughter asked if I wanted to host it like last year - and I said ”yes” initially - and then realized it would be too much for me right now. To be quite honest, I think I only said that I would because I worry about whether I’ll be here for his third. The one positive related to being stuck at home is that I watch my grandson every Thursday - but I didn’t sleep at all last night + running a temperature - so, my little buddy isn’t here with me today. 🙁 He is very attached to me - and never wants to leave when his mom/dad come to pick him up - last week, he started crying - real tears (not just a little whining) - he ran to me as soon as my SIL grabbed his jacket - “nana, up!” - while signing the word ”please” on his chest. While it’s a pain for my daughter/SIL because he does something like this every time they pick him up, it does fill my heart up knowing how much he enjoys spending time with me 🥰

FYI - I don’t share much with family/friends - I just don’t (even though I am very close with my three sisters). I don’t like to feel like i’m whining - so, apparently, I decided instead to whine to all of you. I do apologize - but I’m feeling like if I don’t let some of it out, I might burst. And it’s easier to do it here - anonymously.

Again, I apologize for dumping all of this out in this comment. It wasn’t my intention when I initially decided to post a comment. I am truly sorry if the above is inappropriate.

Ida Claire thanked dani_m08
  • dani_m08
    5 months ago

Here’s what I’ve accomplished so far re Christmas:

First artifical tree - was my SO’s old one - it looks less sad with all of the lights and ornaments added. Definitely not an ”Instagram” tree - just one like I grew up with - a random collection of ornaments from over MANY years. Also, first time using a bow with other stuff at the top - not sure if I like it or need to replace:

The above tree is located in my ”dining room.” I’m in the process of turning my dining room into a wine room (replaced table with four leather chairs around a round coffee table). It’s early in the process - doesn’t look like much right now.

Tree in my kitchen (my grandma always had a white tree - so, I decided to add one):

My kitchen is next on the renovation list - supposed to start after the holidays. CANNOT wait for it to be done!

A candy/cookie tree for my grandson + a real tree for me (even though it’s only about 4 ft tall):

Ida Claire thanked dani_m08
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    5 months ago

Sorry this position is ending. I'm a couple-three years behind you and have had to look for work several times in the past few years. This internet-driven AI first process is a total s**t show. Companies get away with ageism because "it's not a human, it's a computer." You can't get past an application without putting your graduation year etc....

You really need two things to get a job as an "older person"; a champion who has either hiring authority or deep influence and a company that is really hiring. Mostly everything else, your elderly interview is how they show they're in compliance and not stacking the deck.

That being said, my most recent position (from a contact with hiring authority & infuence) is in the same industry as I've worked 20+ years. Due to my husband's health issues, I downscaled from a strategic hunting to regional farming sales role. It's involved a decent decrease in pay, but I never let my company control me by keeping my expenses low. The goal was to reduce my stress level, to focus on the sales activities that really give me the most satisfaction and to be home more. So different from your situation and also similar.

Here's my experience.

I was sort of fully prepared for a much different experience with clients. The benefit is that there is much less interference from procurement. I'm still thinking like my clients are more sophisticated and have more to work with. So think about how you'll react to the chosen "later" job.

On the plus side, my time is more flexible and while I'm just as serious about my work, the level of stress is much lower. I'm also in a position to mentor folks coming up in the business, an unanticipated added benefit. So think about how the "later" job will bring you satisfaction.

What I didn't count on was the amount of time it's taking me to adjust to less travel, less attention from our supporting teams, lower internal priority etc. All in all, I don't regret the decision under the circumstances. So take into account the adjustment period and whether it would be easier to take time off before making a dramatic change.

Also, I think you have to weigh your big near term spends with your means and desires for retirement. I think about how you want to build a house. If that was on my list, I'd be looking for a comparable job and salary while I got that done. Then I'd retire and enjoy the heck out of the benefits from full steam working a couple extra years.

Lastly, a friend retired several years ago and started volunteering. She found it frustrating that - in general - there was little value placed on the work volunteers were doing. So she went back to work a passion job to keep her busy. She's like me, we're not good with unstructured time. :)

Ida Claire thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    5 months ago

@dani_m08 I missed you post. Sending hugs your way. The silver lining with my husband's health issues - and I hope with yours - is that I've fully embraced the lifestyle that goes along with letting go of what you can't control. I'm much more present, focused and deliberate in everything, even stress!

Ida Claire thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • Funkyart
    5 months ago

Oh Dani, I am so sorry to hear of your health issues and of the challenges of adjusting to a new lifestyle. HUGS and many wishes for some good changes in 2024!

I think one of the biggest things I have done in the last 5 yr is to rebuild how I view myself and my value to the world and the people around me. ALL of what I saw as my value was my work. My self-identify was very much centered on my work. I have been fairly lucky in that in all my positions across a few careers, I was most often in a position to influence ... I had the ear of top executives ... I instrumented positive changes. That started to change in the late 2000s. A couple of mergers, a change in structure, a layoff and then a decision to leave a company with a mean and dysfunctional CEO. I went through a few years of independent consulting and worse, a couple of stints with lousy companies. I was forced to reevaluate and to redefine myself and my worth (SO was very helpful with this-- even when I thought he "just didnt understand", he DID and he pushed me to shift my thinking). anyhow, I now have a much healthier view of the role of my work vs my personal life. I can still get out of balance (as I sit here about to jump in a meeting on my day off lol) but I am going in the right direction.

Ida, I know you have plenty of other interests and hobbies so you may not have your identity and self-worth so wrapped up in your work .. but I think it is something to be aware of. You have contributed well to your employer -- but you ARE so much more. You are a daughter who is lovingly caring for your parents, you are a creative mind who has made a beautiful home, you are a sensitive and caring person who has volunteered and shared time and money with those in need. You are a curious and joyous traveler .... and more. It is a good time to take account of who you are and where you want to focus your energies in the coming years.

• Ida Claire
    Original Author
    5 months ago

So much amazing empathy and excellent insight in this thread -- thank you all!

Dani, sending you a virtual (((((hug))))). I'm so sorry that circumstances are difficult, and I truly hope you find a very large measure of peace and comfort as you go forward in this season. As Funky has so eloquently reminded us, hold fast to the things that YOU are at the core of your being, and try to let go of how you've perhaps become accustomed to seeing yourself. I intend to strive to do the same. I think so many of us are at a time in our lives when we recently have reevaluated many things, are in the midst of doing so now, or will be at some point in the not-too-distant future. It's natural and normal and needed. May we embrace it all.

• Ida Claire
    Original Author
    5 months ago

I wanted to touch on something that has come up in this thread, and that is ageism in the workplace. Although that is not the cause of my impending employment severance, I'm still very much aware of its existence and have experienced it in certain situations. I was passed over for a high-level leadership position in favor of younger people -- twice -- but asked if I'd be willing to have a different role where I would lead as more of a mentor. I was a bit shaken by that at first, but have come to realize that I'm no longer going to be "the golden girl" chosen for the roles I once was. I am coming to be viewed more as a "silver lady" who brings something different to the table - something that only age and experience can provide. In that sense, I am learning to embrace it and have truly enjoyed being able to mentor several who are earlier in their career than I. It does, however, come with something of a sobering slap to the aging face -- that realization that no matter how much advancement is made in the workplace, there will likely always be inherent biases and getting older is often assigned a "place" that is outside the reach of the younger workplace population.

I'm grappling with it, and I struggle a bit. Maybe some of you know exactly what I mean.

• Jilly
    5 months ago

You have such an amazing way with words, Ida, and you’re so insightful, intelligent, fascinating, and well-rounded … I think you should write books or manuals or something along those lines that shares your gifts.

Or, go into interior design. The innate talent is certainly there. :)

Ida Claire thanked Jilly
  • sergeantcuff
    5 months ago

I cannot relate at all. I left a professional job in my late twenties when I had my first child. I had a long commute, my husband had an even longer commute and travelled for his job, my parents were older and needed help, and I had no other support. And it‘s been all downhill from there, a series of unfulfilling odd jobs.

I did want to chime in to agree with Jilly. You really are a great writer, with a certain style that’s easy to read. Have you ever considered writing ?

Ida Claire thanked sergeantcuff
  • Ida Claire
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Thank you so much. I absolutely love to write, and consider it a passion of mine. I've had some opportunity to write various/random pieces at work, but wouldn't really know how to go about monetizing writing otherwise. I wish I knew a way! With the advent of AI, I'm really curious what the future holds for all written material. Then again, I've worked with it a bit myself, and never liked the verbiage it produced, so surely there's still a need for the human voice in written communications.

• Funkyart
    5 months ago

Interesting regarding the shift in roles as we age. I would actually love and embrace the opportunity to be more of a mentor/consultant than a mover and shaker! Kind of like leading from the bottom lol! I see a move to that kind of role as the culmination of all my work to date-- I have a unique range of skills and wide range of experience that I think is quite valuable. I am much more creative than many of my younger peers because I have had such a wide range of experiences to borrow from and adapt to current needs. I wouldnt think of it as ageism if I were offered these kinds of roles-- I would be honored. Not sure if my industry makes a difference -- but I am in software development (and all things related to it from conceptualizing to user acceptance to training/support .. but mostly designing and implementing software)

I have said multiple times in the last year that this will be my last new development project. I DO mentor my teams and I do bring creative solutions but I have lost the desire and drive to manage the whole team for the whole duration. I'd like to do quick hit stints to help get a new project off the ground -- or to give guidance to a project that's gone off the rails. Short stints!

Luckily for me, my company embraces the experience and value from "older workers"... at almost 60, I am far from one of the oldest employees. I can think of a handful who are in their 70s still working FT. My goal is to shift my role amd move to PT on new or special projects. I would love that.

In my world/my industry, Ageism would most likely rear its head if my recommendations were ignored or if I was pushed out to managing maintenance projects. I may CHOOSE to go there myself but I wouldn't want to be told that's what my new role.

I DO recognize that ageism is real-- I know others who have experienced it. I just feel blessed that it isnt something I have had to deal with -- and won't likely unless I change jobs/employers.

Many interesting side topics here ... thank you, Ida for sharing your thoughts and opening the discussions!

• yeonassky
    5 months ago

Dani you did not over share! You shared your life experience and that is always appropriate.

A lot of people can relate to many of the things you said. Although I've never been a professional I have as well had to quit work due to illness.

The things I tell myself are

I'm going to do my very best today. That is based on the level of pain I'm having and energy that I have.

I'm going to love myself and others the very best way I can today.

I'm going to treat myself with kindness as I would do with any sick person.

Just wanted to say a poem is often a good outlet. Short enough for people to write down and can express many emotions and maybe work through some of them. Deep breathing and some meditation and prayer for some people is also helpful when you get stuck. All the best to you.

As I said I am not a professional Ida but as others have said you will figure this out but you may need time and space to really get what you want. Best of luck going forward. I'm actually very excited for you that you are on a new journey. You certainly won't be bored ;-).

Ida Claire thanked yeonassky
  • cawaps
    5 months ago

A friend of mine was a substitute teacher for a while between getting laid off and finding a new career position. She really liked it and took pride in being the substitute that teachers asked for. You can work as much or as little as you want and I think demand is quite high right now.

@dani_m08, consider Glacier White Corian for your counter. Solid neutral white. Designer white is a bit cooler but a bit stark (IMO), but might work better with the Carrara than Glacier White. Not that Glacier White is super warm, just a tad warmer than Designer White. Both are very neutral. Sparkling white and Modern white are also solids that look to be a bit whiter whites than Glacier White, but I haven't looked at samples of those and the photos online are not helpful (Am I looking at a sample, or did you just fail to display the image? White on white).

Ida Claire thanked cawaps
Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH