SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ellenashleytaylor

Bracing myself... but hoping for input on narrow lot house plan

southerngirl lostinqueens
4 months ago
last modified: 4 months ago

Hi, I'm planning a new home in the Piedmont area of North Carolina on a 50' x 195' lot with a significant slope downward away from the street. The house will face east so sun will move toward the back on the left side of the house.

I'm single, with no kids, and nearing 60. Privacy and outdoor entertaining are important to me. SOOO... I have decided to break the rules and have the main living area of the home be on the ground floor of basically a walk-out basement...I understand that this is not what most people would do and may impact my resale value but as my cousin said... that will just be my executor's problem. I think ultimately this will afford me more light in the main living space because I can have large windows without neighbors peering in...

The plan currently has a porte-cochere - no garage. There is no accessibility for a garage in the rear because the old alley way is not accessible, I don't like garages on the front and in this old, historic neighborhood there are lots of homes without garages. I am going to add pool and small pool house in back as well.

A few comments before y'all throw the hammer down.

The front yard will have a heavily landscaped "motor court" for turn around purposes and guest parking but landscape architect hasn't worked that out yet but it will likely make it difficult to center the front door...I don't like the current foyer/entry way configuration and I do want a larger front porch but these will depend on the above so sort of have a placeholder on that.

I am a little concerned that the laundry room is too small, but not sure I can make the office smaller.

Looked at cantilevering the porte cochere but that meant that the primary closet had to move and that sort of forced the laundry room to the end of the hallway and made it hard to configure the closet without having to go through the bathroom to get to it.

Downstairs, I think I am going to ditch the banquette and float the dining table altogether. I don't like the wasted space in the entry to the bedroom but not sure how to solve for that problem.

I am struggling with whether or not to move the outdoor fireplace to back up to the indoor one on the rear right side of the house to provide more natural light exposure to the seating area, but the benefit of its current location is that it blocks the view from the neighbor's rear deck that is at the higher street level.

Okay, with that... thanks in advance for any feedback with a hope for limited snide remarks! :)

Comments (61)