SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anninaustin

Large Foyer - What to do

anninaustin
5 months ago

I have this large foyer (13’ x 30’) and no clue what to do with it.

I’m not all that formal, wouldn’t want a sitting room for guest who entered or anything.

I like functional rooms, would never read in front of the fireplace. All I can think of is some cabinets in the inlay (to store belongings) and a bench to take off/put on shoes.

Looking for functional suggestions, not one to buy furniture just to fill space.

Comments (41)

• Kendrah
    5 months ago

Will you actually be coming and going from this door or will you be using a garage or side entrance more often?

Do you need a place to throw a bag and keys or would you do that elsewhere?

If you have no real ise for this room, I’d put a gigantic piece of artwork in the niche with a long bench under it and call it a day. There is something to be said for the drama of a vast empty space with great architecture.

• anninaustin
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Thanks! The door will be used maybe once a day when I go for walks otherwise the garage door will be used. Guest will come but not that often. There is a small closet, in the hall entrance to the right… jackets will go there but no table for keys.

• Related Discussions

Gray paint color for large two story foyer

Q

Comments (11)
    Hi there! I’m in a similar situation, except that our 2 story foyer faces north and doesn’t get much light. The floors are a white oak stained walnut. The adjacent north facing family room will be painted BM stonington gray (to complement the south facing dining room, which will be painted BM Newburyport Blue). I was planning on painting the foyer and upstairs hallway BM Wickham Gray. But after reading several articles about northern exposure, I’m second guessing the Wicham Gray. Trying to keep all the light in, and not darken the entry. Any suggestions / thoughts for the 2 story foyer??
    ...See More

a large commercial building, with a conference room, foyer and kitchen

Q

Comments (3)
    I have no idea witout pictures how would we know.I will tell you carpet and chairs really do not work well together IMO the carpet gets ruined very quickly.I would run a good quality vinyl plank flooring everywhere then add a nice area rug to the coffee space with comfy chairs lots of art on the walls or pictures of what ever your business is . Is the kitchen open to the space or a separate room . Many questions .
    ...See More

Thanksgiving is coming but I am not ready!NO CLUE FOR VERY LARGE FOYER

Q

Comments (19)
    Amy, clearly this is a very "grand" style of house, with all the very elaborate millwork. You can put anything there. A lovely antique settee with tables/lamps on each side, is a classic in a large entrance hall. A spectacular high boy or chest-on-chest can also be used. Of a gorgeous, massive console table with mirror over it and lamps at each end. You need to hire a designer NOW! And you need to decide what your taste is and how you want this house to look. I'm well aware that people are mixing highly contemporary with classic, but that chandelier in the DR just doesn't do it for me. It's just trying way to hard to say, "I'm hip! I'm chic! I can break "rules"!".
    ...See More

Recommendations for art size on large wall in foyer

Q

Comments (10)
    Love how that looks! Yes I agree on the larger chandelier but unfortunately it's a mistake we will need to live with... but it's better than the brass and glass we replaced. The decorator er were promised with our renovation was very absent when it came to certain questions unfortunately. The painting I'd like to have replicated is from my mom's house. Maybe photoshop can grow it taller. I love how you can try things out in my space. I'm so low tech. Thank you
    ...See More
  • Paul F.
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

I always wanted the room for an atrium. Trees, living wall, a water feature and skylights. I would have morning coffee at a table out there.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 months ago

What an amazing opportunity!! A foyer is an announcement , a sense of what may lie beyond. It is yes, a pass through but it can be both beautiful and useful - to you and to guests.

Draw the 13 x 30 and show all the openings, were they are, feet and inches for all, show the closet locale and size. Give us a clue as to the rest of your style.

But in no way would I miss the opportunity to make a space you would enjoy. No matter the style. I assure you it's a problem many would love to have: )

Define, divide , conquer,

Measure , draw, fill in and return below!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 months ago

Stunning space. So many possibilities! Somehow, due to fireplace I wonder about a statement velvet sofa in that niche. Art above and possibly sconces on walls. I will shop. Such a gorgeous space. What do you think about an emerald green velvet sofa? Bbl

• pat1250
    5 months ago

Following

• eok
    5 months ago

If you don’t want furniture, consider splurging on a large, gorgeous rug. A real statement. That plus a beautiful art piece in the alcove would be stunning.

• arcy_gw
    5 months ago

What an unusual place for a fireplace. I assume it's gas and won't be used unless you know you are having company on a cold winter evening. Logic dictates some sort of seating across from the fireplace if the space is a destination, but I would agree I would not likely hang out in an entryway. There are a few options but in the end they are all buying furniture to buy furniture as none of it will be used for much given your lifestyle.

• Cara Fidler
    5 months ago

I like the suggestions to put a beautiful area rug and a large, beautiful painting in the foyer. Possibly also a few large exotic houseplants.

• Allison0704
    5 months ago

Our last home also had a large, two story foyer with marble floors. To soften the sound, I had a rug and large wall tapestry. With your floor pattern, I would not use a rug, but you need some things/materials to soften sound. A tapestry would be pretty over the fireplace. I also had a vintage wood bench. No storage other than two coat closets.

ETA photos of our last house that we purchased from my mother's estate. The furniture had not been changed since they built the house in the mid-80s, but they had brought in things from second/third homes when they sold (like the shelf over the front door - one of the first things I took down!)

After we did a huge remodel. Posting this example to show how selections can totally change the feel of an area. White marble flooring was still polished, but doesn't present itself as such in this photo.

Since you do not want a reading area and have expressed useful storage, instead of a piece of furniture, a custom built-in (within the niche) with storage on either end, a bench in the middle and a large piece of art in the center. You already have sconces, which could be moved (if needed) to work within the built-in. It could have both open (shelves for display) and closed storage (shoes, etc) with bench between.

What is the width of the niche? What type of belongings are to be stored?

Is this a new build, a remodel or a recently purchased home?

Examples you can take and tweak to your liking.

Wood on the back (will also help soften sound and add warmth/texture). Same wood tone that appears in the foyer flooring.

Clad entire niche (not crazy about this bench design).

What I believe you would not want is an area that ends up looking like a mudroom.

T&G niche. Large doors with shelving for storage rather than more smaller doors that become kitchen and mudroom like.

Going to post this so I don't loose.

• Allison0704
    5 months ago

Without knowing measurements, it is harder to make suggestions. If not a tapestry over the fireplace, a large natural woven piece (or three), like this (XXL at 35" - Etsy)

Or you could bring down the beam color.

Could also be used over built-in bench instead of art.

• Allison0704
    5 months ago

A few more idea you can adapt.

Inset cabinet doors or interior door (custom)

Just doors, so the interior can be customized and changed per needs. Painted doors would be a less formal feel. Find interesting door handles. Could also be stained to match beams or wood floor tone. Not knowing your design style, I suggested both. I prefer painted.

A wood and painted mix. Bench in the center. I would not do floating open shelves. No shelving or closed cabinet doors above (sconces, art).

What do the kitchen cabinets look like? Don't want to do the same, just need to make sense from one area to another.

ETA: Since some are misunderstanding these photos, I am NOT suggesting the OP "countrify" her house in any way, shape or form. If you READ my post, these are examples of ideas she can take inspiration from - NOT COPY, not even close.! For example, the last photo shows wood and painted combo - that's it. If someone cannot visualize what to do (not specially saying the OP), these photos might spark an idea.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 months ago

Like it or not, you have a very elegant and dramatic foyer/hall space. Treat it accordingly. Since you seem to not want to invest in this space, I suggest a Zen/minimalist approach could work. A long black wood Asian Alter table with silk kimono hanging above in nice blues and black with a minimal statue on the table. A pair of Monk chairs and possible hide rug setting facing fireplace more like minimalist sculptures. A very tall candlestick in wrought iron beside entry end of fireplace with a Zen landscape over fireplace and possible new more appropriate chandelier. I will post ideas later. I would not make this space casual at all.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 months ago

Please do not coutryfy this space it is so elegant maybe a bit of elegance could be nice. I would start with a fabulous piece of art above the FP. a long console table with a mirror above it I think you could do a rug but something more textural not a pattern. I like a coat closet maybe a nice armoire type one , I always like a place to sit to take off and on shoes in this case some nice chairs could work

• la_la Girl
    5 months ago

Agree that scale will be super important in the space (so fewer things but larger) - I would get an oversized piece of original art for over the fireplace (a local artist would be great) + console table for the niche + a large fabulous tree to give some verticality and break up the hallway feeling just a bit

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 months ago

This Alter Table is from Ballards and on terrific sale. Not sure how long that niche is? Without precise measurements of the space this idea board is for “concept” and create a theme and purpose for this valuable square footage. I put a sea grass type small rug that would anchor space with chairs. This is just one concept. Need more info to create perfect look. But I like this space as a Zen meditation type space. Especially, since you don’t come in front door frequently. But I would still want this space to be calming and inviting. Draw you in with interesting objects and textures to balance the cooler features of walls, marble flooring, metal chandelier and dark door framing etc. Thoughts?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 months ago

Here is Ballard table. Of course, there are many styles and price points for this type console table. But I liked the clean lines and price point of this one.

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    5 months ago

I agree that country-ing up this space would be a huge mistake.

This foyer was built to impress, just for use as a pass-through. Work with it, not against it. Several have made great suggestions for art, rugs, and maybe a settee in the alcove, which seems to be what the architect had in mind.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    5 months ago

beautiful space. i would do a lage console in the niche with a mirror above it. If you want storage in the piece then certainly do a large side board style piece. keep the mirror interesting.

most important is that the scale of it echos the scale of the entry. the sconces are puny for the size of the space so i would likely replace them with something longer.

i would do a chair to the right of the door as you walk in. think wood framed with upholstery.

a large piece of art over the fireplace art is personal so i would defer to you to choose something that speaks to you

and an upholstered bench in front of it. i would choose a bench with upholstered legs. or slipcpvered. something that breaks up all the wood stone and metal in the space.

Most important i would select pieces that work with the spanish roots that are at the core of your homes style reflected in the arches and beams.

• Kendrah
    5 months ago

So many of us would pack a space like this because we live in smaller homes and need to maximize space. I'm sure you have an abundance of space in this home and I'd love to see minimalism. You need not have a zen or modern feel to minimalism. Use whatever style you like. This room speaks for itself and doesn't need more than a chair for putting on shoes and a case good for whatever storage you said you want. After 6 months if the sound is too much consider a rug, floor plant, huge artwork for above the fireplace, but I wouldn't add them unless needed for sound dampening.

Some examples of large entry spaces that don't add too much furniture.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 months ago

Life is choices. The OP would prefer not have the generous foyer, it would seem ?

A drawing and placement of opening, niche, fire etc noted within the now overwhelming 13 x 30 space would yield concrete suggestions that worked with an overall flavor she likes in her home.....which is we don't know.

It is a choice to provide that info, or not: )

• Allison0704
    5 months ago

Please do not coutryfy this space and I agree that country-ing up this space would be a huge mistake.

If these were directed at me, I was NOT suggesting she "countrify" the space. She stated she was "not all that formal." If you read my posts, I stated these were IDEAS to expand upon, tweak so that the idea then worked with her style home, along with the look and feel she desires. One can get ideas from anywhere, but take a bit or piece of an idea and create something that works with your home. For me, it has never been a "copy" situation. - I searched for idea, and found nothing that I would have posted and said "do this." Think outside the box, so the house shows the owner's personality, and does not look like the neighbor's house down the street.

• PRO
    Ariana Designs LLC
    5 months ago

Wow, this could be an amazing little project, the space look amazing and I've seen some amazing inspo pictures in the comments. I personally would add some furniture, maybe even some shelves with minimalistic decor where your arch is. However if you don't feel like actually buying furniture and spending a lot of time on this space, then I like the suggestion of adding a large art piece and some greenery.

• Maureen
    5 months ago

Let the foyer’s lovely features be appreciated and therefore suggest keeping it to a mimimim/no rug. You should address the arched area though and if a bench is useful add + large art (proportions are important). See below as an example (no tables and a bench if you prefer), aiming for a classic, casual feel.

The fireplace feels unfinished and depending on budget, you could address in a few different ways. There are lots of on line ideas.

Although you don’t use the entrance often, there is your adjacent room, so it‘s an important space. When making decisions, keep in mind the look/feel of that room so they are complementary style wise.

• anninaustin
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Oh my, y’all I appreciate all the suggestions. I am still going through them and making notes. To answer many of y’all’s question, the niche is 12 feet long. I’m liking the idea of cabinets in the niche, and as many suggested maybe a painting. I never thought of putting plants in this foyer but that would be nice, maybe make the room a bit brighter/welcoming. Y’all have the greatest ideas. Thanks!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 months ago

How bout Y'all make the drawing with the location of niche and all other? : ) Pretty sure, somewhere in Austin TX. lurks a nice 35' Stanley heavy duty tape measure? Where is the fireplace, how much wall in feet and inches before that 12 foot niche? How high is it at the highest point from the floorHow much wall after it? Etecetera.....!!

We await...eagerly!

• Kendrah
    5 months ago

Glad some ideas are taking shape in your mind. Seems cabinets in the niche are exciting you. I'd go all out for a totally show stopping statement piece cabinet that takes up nearly the entire 144" long niche.

You can find one in nearly any style on 1stdibs.com Do you know that site? It is not inexpensive, but I suspect neither is your beautiful home! Here are just a few pieces from a wildly different array of styles and tastes. (Some I find hideous but to each their own!) They are all between 120 and 144" long and have storage.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 months ago

It's a lovely entry to the home. Before central heating, it was customary to have fireplaces in foyers to warm arriving guests. A lovely retro detail. Who doesn't love a fire going when you arrive out of the cold air?

The space doesn't require much. I like the idea of a large console table with a mirror above and a long bench tucked in below. Some art & plants, and you decide if you want a rug, but you're basically done.

• Kendrah
    5 months ago

Glad you are inspired by some of these suggestions. I'd love to see a really huge cabinet unit in the niche that is a true statement piece and show stopper. 1stdibs.com is an incredible place to shop. It is expensive, but is seems your home and budget might be too. :) Here is a very random smattering of storage units between 120 - 144" long. I find some of these hideous but to each their own and I don't know your personal style.

• njmomma
    5 months ago

I would have the niche hand painted with a scene and add a very simple bench in front of it.

• Paul F.
    5 months ago

Countrifying would would great but luxury French farmhouse. I think we need to see your taste in furniture and the outside of the house would be helpful. This all needs to make sense after you pass through the foyer.

What I would WANT for the space if it were mine is an art gallery feel with natural lighting and greenery... well placed art and then maybe a couple French country luxury farmhouse pieces. A Deborah Butterfield horse sculpture would be perfect for the countrified 'art gallery'.

• Kendrah
    5 months ago

@Paul F. you could really start a business adding horse sculptures to people's homes. I am waiting for the day when I have a design dilemma and you can add one to mine.

• Paul F.
    5 months ago

Haha... I've been waiting for this day to slip in another one. Your horse will come when you least expect it. :P

BTW, Those Butterfield horses may look like driftwood but are solid bronze. HomeGoods knocks them off.

• Little Bird
    5 months ago

I like njmomma’s suggestion to have a scene painted in the niche, and you might be surprised to find that it can cost less than wallpaper. A grisaille painting would be very elegant

• RedRyder
    5 months ago

Etsy.com has a lot of murals you can browse to see if they inspire you. The long walls are begging for something special.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 months ago

Can we see more of the home? Outside shot and adjoining rooms? It would help quite a bit. Measurements are key here. Scale will be very important. How old is thus home? Newly renovated? I see what might be tall ladder on the floor in the room beside this space? Really need more info to help further. Thanks!

• elcieg
    5 months ago

There are sconces which is great. Add a console and a mirror, which will reflect the fireplace with art hanging. A rug is a must, with a felt pad, as the floor will be slippery when wet.

• john3582
    5 months ago

I would do a library with ladders. But almost of of my interior design decisions involve bookcases.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 months ago

The locations of your existing sconces will be tricky to replace with proper sizing but not impossible. With the length of that niche, you gave room for just about any combo you desire. Budget is probably most limiting factor. Just plan it out well and it will be wonderful. You could put two armoire’s with console in middle and one or two chairs or benches etc. Such a great space to have fun with. Love it!!

• HU-187528210
    5 months ago

This is so beautiful!!
    I’d do a little sitting moment in the alcove.
    And definitely some wallpaper.
    I agree the sconces should be larger. Here’s some inspiration! I hope it helps.
    I worked hard on em lol 😊

• Jennifer Hogan
    5 months ago

I know what I would do with this space.

Tropical mural wallpaper inside the arch

A tall, slender fountain at each end and a narrow wood table in the middle with a white vase of calla lilies and white oblong bowl

Two tall round glass tables with tropical flower/bird of paradise centerpieces with white chairs

A large painting or two of tropical birds on the large wall and a long tall gecko sculpture on side wall of the fireplace.

An ocelot in the forest painting over the fireplace

Add a philodendron near the far door and possibly on the other side of the fireplace.