SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathleen_smith6227819

I went to eat at Cracker Barrel for dinner tonight

Kathsgrdn
6 months ago

and for the first time ever I had their Southern fried chicken dinner. It was just okay. The whole time I was eating it, I thought, "not as good as my mom's". She made her's with Crisco, though. I suppose that's what made it so good. Even my fried chicken is better. I haven't made any in years, though, too much hassle.

Now I have three pieces of fried chicken I have to finish off. There were four. I also brought home half of my fried okra and mashed potatoes. Asked for a side of corn to go too. Will have enough food for at least three more meals. I did bring home the cornbread but it wasn't great, so not sure I'll eat it.

The bad thing is I went there to get some real food that wasn't greasy, fast food or frozen stuff I've been eating a lot of lately. Then I pick fried chicken.

Comments (46)

• nicole___
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

I like eating fried chicken from the grocery store Deli when I tire of cooking. Their fried chicken is the biggest pieces and the most flavorful...in my opinion. Krogers or Safeway.

Kathsgrdn thanked nicole___
  • foodonastump
    6 months ago

My wife loves Cracker Barrel (or “Crackle Barrel” as it usually rolls off her tongue) but I suspect it’s more a nostalgia thing than actually liking the food. I’m not a fan.

As for your meal, as much I don’t like to waste food I see no reason for you to punish yourself with several more unhealthy meals that won’t reheat to be as “good” as it originally was. Pick apart the chicken and make chicken salad or add it to soup or something if it really bothers you. Or mix everything together into a makeshift casserole.

Kathsgrdn thanked foodonastump
  • Related Discussions

What's for dinner tonight?

Q

Comments (9)
    Hey, I thought I was so smart to be having fresh sweet corn . . . so what variety is that, Cnetter? Since I bought so much seed last year, and even tho' I considered its tiny size an embarrassment in 2006, the early corn is the bi-color, Fleet. Fortunately it grew a little taller with larger ears this season. Unfortunately (for bragging purposes ;o), it didn't quite mature in July. I guess I can't hardly come up with an earlier variety and something can be said for that! (Unless, Cnetter has a suggestion . . . :o) Fleet is also fine in the sweetness and tenderness categories. Along with corn on the cob, there were green beans from the garden but since Dad prepared the potatoes, these were from the store. We've only had the ones from the garden with peas and new potatoes so far. Then Dad's meatloaf made with a little bit of cilantro and basil. Our cilantro has come and gone but he still has a plant or 2. Had a couple of my cherry tomatoes on the way over to Dad's and he bragged about his mom's heirlooms, which are just now ripening in his tomato patch. digitS'
    ...See More

Went To Cracker Barrel Today...I couldn't Help Myself!!

Q

Comments (23)
    Yachter...I'm sorry when I posted my reply to you.. I referred to you as OA..so that reply was for you. Lynn...I hope you let us know if you went today..and if you bought anything. Syble...I have to tell you that I think your DH would like CB for their meals. Their food is like 'Home Cooked' meals. Not at all like FF Chainstore..I like that they will add something new each time we go. We started going to them when we traveled South, and I really looked forward to them. My DH is very 'picky' and he was impressed..So I'd say, give it a try at least once. Kathleen..thanks I like the soft colors too. I'm trying to figure out something for St. Pat's day.. I really don't have anything green..but will try to 'shop' again around my house! lol Punk...Glad you thought they were pretty.. The dishes can add up when you start to put the set together. That's why I bought some last year and added some this year. Even though they are a little different in pattern, they will still work together. All the pieces, including the cups, were $3.99 ea..Except for the plates and the S&Ps which were $5.99 ea...and the Egg Cups - $.99 ea.. I think your DGdtr would love them... jane
    ...See More

RECIPE: Wanted: Cracker Barrel Roast Beef

Q

Comments (2)
    Oh I had that on my trip. We don't have a Cracker Barrel here in my state so when I travel I eat there a lot. I love all their food. I sure hope someone can help you out with the recipe.
    ...See More

What's for dinner tonight at your house?

Q

Comments (14)
    Nuked two hot dogs in the microwave and used slices of wheat bread for buns. Just didn't do it for me, they weren't very tasty at all. And as far as whole wheat breads, I like them; but a good ole' white bread hot dog bun would have made them taste a little better. My stomach is protesting already.
    ...See More
  • kathyg_in_mi
    6 months ago

We only eat breakfast at CB and only when traveling and it's the closest restuarant.

Kathsgrdn thanked kathyg_in_mi
  • wildchild2x2
    6 months ago

I find that mediocre fried chicken tastes better cold. I love cold fried chicken but it has to be refrigerator cold, not room temperature cold.

Kathsgrdn thanked wildchild2x2
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    6 months ago

I've never been in a Cracker Barrel - or seen one? I'm not sure. We do pick up KFC about once every 6 months or so. Just chicken and a few biscuits, none of the other sides. Something about their mashed potatoes and gravy just isn't quite right.

But I don't mind the chicken, original crispy. I can fry chicken but somehow rarely do in the last many years.

DH's dad fried a lot of chicken for their big family but he always finished it in the oven, no crispy skin so it was probably covered. Newly married, one of DH's sisters called me one day and said a friend was there and frying chicken at her house. In a skillet. In hushed tones: She wasn't planning to put it in the oven. Could chicken be cooked safely in only a deep skillet and not put into a hot oven? I told her Yes, dear, of course, nothing to worry about and your chicken will be cooked through 😁

Kathsgrdn thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • lily316
    6 months ago

I have never been to a Cracker Barrel although we have one nearby. I have not had fried chicken in forever, but my mother made the best ever and she did use Crisco. Always served with mashed potatoes and homemade waffles. I'd give anything for that meal again.

Kathsgrdn thanked lily316
  • maire_cate
    6 months ago

Our Acme supermarket has good fried chicken - as long as t hasn't been sitting for too long under the heat lamps. DDIL told me last week that she went to the new Popeye's that just opened and she really liked their fried chicken.

Kathsgrdn thanked maire_cate
  • Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    6 months ago

I almost always get the chicken n dumplings when I go there or breakfast, since they serve it all day. I really like their coffee too. I do prefer my chicken n dumplings to theirs'.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    6 months ago

Love the blueberry pancakes at CB.

Nicole, my mom always wanted to get Kroger fried chicken for gatherings. Tasty and easy. Miss gatherings with Mom and Kroger fried chicken

Kathsgrdn thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • Elmer J Fudd
    6 months ago

No Cracker Barrel localions near me. I've tried them a few times when visiting Southern states, and didn't find the food particularly good. Or at least not to my liking.

Kathsgrdn thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • bpath
    6 months ago

I tried to go to a Cracker Barrel once, but the line was out the door. A year or so ago a friend and I stopped in one, no line. We didn’t care for it.

We used to go to a chain called Black-Eyed Pea in Dallas, especially when we had a yen for ”home cookin’ ”.

Kathsgrdn thanked bpath
  • Olychick
    6 months ago

I don't think we have them around here, but sounds like we're not missing much. I don't think it wouldn't be my kind of a meal out, anyway. My mom never made crispy fried chicken, so I have always made it her way, browned, then covered and finished. I used to eat KFC once in a while when I worked next door to one, but realized I always felt icky afterwards and swear I could feel my arteries clogging. Once a year or so I'll buy a piece or two of fried chicken from the grocery. It's always good. Good enough.

Kathsgrdn thanked Olychick
  • wildchild2x2
    6 months ago

There used to be a restaurant in the area called The Big Yellow House. You went in and paid and were taken upstairs to a dining room. Young children were charged by the pound. There was a huge old fashioned scale for them to be weighed. They had a complete all you can eat chicken dinner but it also came with roast and all the sides, along with rolls and pie for dessert. They served the food family style and when you ran out of something they would bring you more. They had servers dedicated to walking around table to table with baskets of rolls and cornbread.

• Lars
    6 months ago

No Cracker Barrel restaurants near me either, but there is one in Bakersfield, which says a lot.

If I wanted fried chicken, I would go to Popeye's (not KFC), but then you said you were tired of fast food.

I love fried chicken, but I cannot remember when I last had it. I almost never make it because it is too messy, although I do make tempera often but not chicken tempura. I make fried fish more often than fried chicken - it is faster. There is a Sizzler close to me that has fried chicken wings, but I haven't been there in years. I really need to get out more.

When I worked in Compton, I used to go to a restaurant called Louisiana Fried Chicken for lunch, but they only served Chinese food.

We used to go out for breakfast and brunch a lot, but since I've retired, I've been cooking almost all of our meals. This way I get food that I like better, and we do not have to drive to get it.

When we went to Austin in August, we deliberately chose restaurants where we could get good leftovers, and the best one for that was Pappadeaux, which is also a chain but very good. The closest one to us is in Phoenix, unfortunately. However, there is a good Cajun restaurant in Redondo Beach, which is about 20 minutes from us. I just haven't gotten used to the new prices restaurants are charging. I think that $33 for fried chicken is a bit much, and that is a major reason why we do not go out to eat.

Kathsgrdn thanked Lars
  • vgkg Z-7 Va
    6 months ago

We'll eat breakfast there about once a year when in a pinch, but generally I'll call it Crapper Barrel.

Kathsgrdn thanked vgkg Z-7 Va
  • eld6161
    6 months ago

I suspect like Sherry, the quality has gone down. It is certainly comfort food.

We have been maybe once or twice while traveling. Never my go-to.

Kathsgrdn thanked eld6161
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 months ago

No Cracker Barrels near me either. I have always been fond of KFC chicken but the recipe seems to have changed over the years.....or my taste buds have. Not quite as good as it used to be. And they keep changing the sides. There is a Jollibee opening somewhat nearby and I've heard their fried chicken is excellent. As a single person, I can't be bothered to fry chicken for myself but I enjoy a crisp piece now and again. I just won't go out of my way to find some :-)

Kathsgrdn thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • Fran
    6 months ago

I would probably peel off the fried skin and make chicken salad out of the leftovers. Sometimes you just have give in to the urge for something. I love the pecan pancakes at Cracker Barrel.

Kathsgrdn thanked Fran
  • sushipup2
    6 months ago

I'd prefer Waffle House for the pecan waffles, but the closest one is quite far. There's a CB near Ikea, and I'm tempted to go for breakfast because I'd love grits with breakfast, but Jim refuses to eat there. He's a smart guy.

Kathsgrdn thanked sushipup2
  • Elmer J Fudd
    6 months ago

" No Cracker Barrel restaurants near me either, but there is one in Bakersfield, which says a lot. "

You started my day with a solid chuckle, Lars.

I wonder how their marketing/location selection group came up with the 7 California sites they have. In addition to this one, also included are places like Victorville, Rocklin, Rialto, Santa Maria, and Sacramento. None in any of the state's populated regions. That says something too, I'm just not sure what.

Kathsgrdn thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • bpath
    6 months ago

The Bug Yellow House sounds like a great place! What a fun idea!

We once went to KFC, then saw The Perfect Storm. After the movie DH and I both commented on how good the cinematography and sound must have been, we actually felt a bit seasick. Later we decided it was the KFC. Haven’t had it since.

There’s a Jollibee on the way to our kids’ place. They serve spaghetti with the fried chicken, I don’t get the concept but DH says it’s good. Raisin’ Cane’s is newish in our area. It’s pretty popular, I tried it but I think I’ve decided fried chicken is something I want to have a proper meal of, not fast food. (Not counting Chick-fil-a, but I think it’s the sauce that makes it good.)

Kathsgrdn thanked bpath
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    6 months ago

I very, very rarely want fried chicken, and I think that I have eaten at a Cracker Barrel only once (it might have been when we drive cross-country way back in 1980 - I remember nothing about the food).

My DD likes Popeye's, but now where she is living there are several mom'n'pop places that specialized in fried chicken (and fish) that she prefers.

My late mother always wanted to go to Bob Evans' to get a fried chicken dinner when I was shuttling her back to her city - I don't know if the quality has changed since the corporate ownership changed several years ago. (BTW my DD's boyfriend who is from Milwaukee loves Bob Evans' - makes gift giving easy hahaha!)

However, last week I really wanted 2 other rare meals - a BLT, and a hamburger with all the fixings - I made them at home, though. Had to go buy a loaf of bread and bacon, just for that.

Kathsgrdn thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    6 months ago

Too bad you didn't enjoy your meal 😕

Guessing the urge to try and salvage your leftovers is an example of 'sunk cost' thinking, maybe?

Around here, Church's and Popeye's have had very good fried chicken in my past experience, but it's been years since I had any . Church's used to have fried okra too, which I loved - nobody else did that. Popeye's was spicier than Church's, and also had yummy red beans and rice, and biscuits too, IIRC.

My fave way to eat fried chicken, hot or cold, is with plenty of Crystal hot sauce, so I prefer it not to be very spicy to begin with.

P.S. I've never eaten at Cracker Barrel, as far as I can recall.

Kathsgrdn thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • Sherry8aNorthAL
    6 months ago

Not chicken, but we had a local restaurant here that was fantastic. It was the "Po Boy Factory". They had seafood platters, po boys, gumbo, crawfish platters, etc. It tastes just like anything on the Gulf coast. They were fantastic, then very good, then okay, then went belly up a few years ago. Quality and service went in the gutter.

Kathsgrdn thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • foodonastump
    6 months ago

The Bug Yellow House sounds like a great place! What a fun idea!

That was my initial thought, too. But I don’t think they’d get away with weighing kids in this day and age. 🙀

Kathsgrdn thanked foodonastump
  • littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    6 months ago

There’s a Cracker Barrel not too far from us but we rarely go there. DH doesn’t like it. I used to like it, but the last time we ate there I had to concede that DH was right. The food just wasn’t that tasty.

I think what I liked the best about it was the down-home atmosphere.

Kathsgrdn thanked littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    6 months ago

Oxnard, Victorville, Rialto... they're southern California towns with CB. So I guess that's "southern". However, there are many, many CBs in California. Maybe some folks just don't get out enough to know they exist all over. Including California.

• OutsidePlaying
    6 months ago

We don’t eat fried chicken very often, but i can say without a doubt, Publix has the best fried chicken around the southeast. DH agrees and he is the one who eats it the most. He has tried Cracker Barrel and a few others and nothing compares. They also have excellent chicken tenders. Their deli also sells veggie sides although I prepare those at home myself. I would also rate Popeye’s a close second, although it has been a while since I ate there.

Kathsgrdn thanked OutsidePlaying
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    6 months ago

These days, our fried chicken comes from Publix - it's pretty tasty and convenient 🙂

Kathsgrdn thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    6 months ago

There are some popular fast food, fried chicken places in Lexington. One is pretty good that isn't a chain, even though a little on the spicy side for me. Sketchy part of town, almost no parking but they do a lot of business because it's pretty good. I do crave chicken wings occasionally and have gone to Kroger or Wal-mart. Usually they're out of them, though. When really desperate I'll go to KFC, which is super expensive for a handful of wings, which is all I get. Good thing I don't crave it often.

Sherry, the restaurant you mentioned reminded me of Po Folks (I think that's what it was called) in Tucson, AZ, back in the 80s. It was kinda like Cracker Barrel but cheap and good. I remember getting fried okra and seafood gumbo there when I was a poor Airman living in the dorm. They served iced tea in mason jars and it had a country vibe.

Went out to a Korean bbq place with my daughter. She wanted to support them because a Hot Pot moved in right by them and she's hearing all the young people are flocking there. Food at Arirang 100 times better than Cracker Barrel. Have leftovers for breakfast in the morning. ( :

• wildchild2x2
    6 months ago

Kathsgrdn There were a few Po Folks restaurants in California. We used to eat at the one in Buena Park. Yes they were good.

• Jupidupi
    6 months ago

When I was a kid, the local Kentucky Fried Chicken sold chicken livers. They were amazing! I've often thought I'd like to go to KFC with a container of livers and see if I could tip the cook to make me some, original style.

Kathsgrdn thanked Jupidupi
  • Sherry8aNorthAL
    6 months ago

Jupidupi , Yes I like KFC Livers. These may not be the same, but they are good.

Fried Buttermilk Chicken Livers from "Southern Fried" byJames Villas

1 pound of chicken libers trimmed of fat

1 cup buttermilk

2 cups all purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Pinch of nutmeg (I did not use, do not like nutmeg, except in cookies)

Salt and pepper to taste

Peanut oil for frying (I do not use peanut oil, just Crisco vegetable oil)

In bowl, combine livers and buttermilk and let soak for about 5 minutes. In small dish, combine flour, soda, salt and pepper,

In cast iron skillet, heat 1 1/2 inches oil to 350*. Drain livers, dredge in flour, drop in oil. Fry about 3 minutes turning once. Drain on paper towel.

Since I am the only one who likes chicken livers, I buy unfrozen and freeze separate. I usually cook only two at a time. Just adjust the seasoning for available livers.

Kathsgrdn thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
    6 months ago

Sherry, my grandmother always soaked the chicken in buttermilk before frying - her fried chicken was way better than KFC!

• Kathsgrdn
    Original Author
    6 months ago

My mom used to cut up and fry a whole chicken. I really liked the gizzard when I was a kid.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    6 months ago

Kaths, I still like the gizzards, seldom have them since I haven't been frying chickens. I won't touch the heart or the livers, but enjoy the gizzards. Tavern fare. Right before Covid shut things down, we met friends from high school at a beach tavern and ordered a platter of breaded fried gizzards. We ate them all 😁

I dislike the liver about equal to how much I like the gizzard. I used to be fooled somewhat often at parties - someone would be passing around an appetizer tray and there would be something yummy looking wrapped in bacon and I'd take one, it would be a chicken liver every time and all I could do was chew twice, swallow quickly. Older and wiser now.

Kathsgrdn thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
    6 months ago

Even when my DD was a toddler, she loved my chicken livers made with soy sauce and ginger (and still does to this day). I will eat the hearts and gizzard too, but not especially fond of gizzards.

• wildchild2x2
    6 months ago

I used to come home from school and grab the gizzard while my mom was frying chicken also. love the gizzard, but not dark meat. Gizzard and breast for me.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    6 months ago

We used to stop at CBs when traveling when I was a kid but I don't think I've been to one in nearly 50 years.

Kathsgrdn thanked LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    6 months ago

baked, poached, sauteed, fried, dark, white, or organ meat. Any and all chicken all kinds of ways. The only thing I won't eat is the bone/ligaments/tendons. Same with eggs, boiled, fried, scrambled, from sunny side up to well done. I will turn into a chicken some day.

My mom, on very rare occasions, would make fried chicken livers with a brown gravy and mushrooms served alongside scrambled eggs. She was known far and wide as a great cook, but I don't think I've ever seen that type of thing anywhere else in all my travels and past/current homes? But it's good. Dang good.

NYT egg and chicken liver recipe, so not unheard of!

• chisue
    6 months ago

Wildchild's Yellow House sounds like a home-style restaurant in upper NY State where we'd stop while driving from Chicago to Providence: The Krebs. I don't remember a scale to weigh children, but it had fixed prices for adults and children. We'd stop at lunchtime, but it was actually a *farmer's dinner*. Wonderful Pennsylvania Dutch style food.

OK, I looked it up. It's still called The Krebs, but is now upscale dining. The historic society site has photos from the 1940's, when we would have visited. If I could spell Skineatalas I'd tell you the name of the town. <wink>

Kathsgrdn thanked chisue
  • Suzieque
    6 months ago

I'm going to get flamed for this, I'm sure. But .... putting on my flameproof suit, I am going to say that I've only been to a Cracker Barrel twice. Each time, the only people I saw dining there were ... overweight, by a lot. And they practically licked their plates clean. Cracker Barrel's food, while may be "comfort food" to some, is heavy, overly portioned, and, IMO, not good.

Sorry to point out my negatives about the apparent lack of self-care by the patrons I saw there both times (two different states) but it was my experience and completely turned me off. I'm not intending to insult larger people. Just pointing out the patronage of Cracker Barrel that I saw.

Kathsgrdn thanked Suzieque
  • webuser 121735116
    6 months ago

We have a CB in town and it is right off the interstate exit. I think that's where most of their traffic comes from. We tried it a few years ago for breakfast. First time we ever had grits and didn't enjoy them at all. The whole meal was blah though. We rarely go out for breakfast because its pretty gross to try and eat when people have their morning grossness. Excessive coughing and hacking and mainly, the nose clearing. Sucking their mucus back in through the nose, gag!

My husband makes breakfast at our house and serves a variety of food, all delicious! We rarely go out to eat and have not sat in a restaurant since the initial lockdown back in March 2020. We get take away a few times a month, but try and use local restaurants.

Kathsgrdn thanked webuser 121735116
    6 months ago

There was a "Big Yellow House" restaurant on Hwy 101 just outside Santa Barbara - is that the one you were talking about, wildchild? I stopped there once with my young DD once, on the trip from picking her up from her dad's. I don't remember paying according to her weight, but I do remember that we enjoyed the stop.

• wildchild2x2
    6 months ago

raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio Probably, They had quite a few scattered about the state. I didn't know it at the time.