SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cnetter2

What's for dinner tonight?

cnetter
16 years ago

I bet alot of us are up to our eyeballs in garden produce right now and getting creative in preparing it for dinner (and lunch, breakfast, snackies, etc.).

A couple of nights ago we had something I hadn't had since the trip to Rome:

Fresh baked bread with slices of fresh tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and basil leaves. My kids liked it so much one of them was making more for breakfast. Nothing like tomatoes from the garden.

Last night was summer squash for the umpteenth time, fried up with sliced pepper, basil and garlic. Plus corn on the cob.

Tonight it's green beans and cauliflower. The beans usually get eaten raw.

Went looking at juicers for the grapes and apples today.

Comments (9)

• david52 Zone 6
    16 years ago

Crab cakes, (a couple weeks ago I went into a City Market and they had those 1 lb cans of crab meat from somewhere-somewhere that isn't China for $8.00). But I'm using French Tarragon and Parsley from the garden. I should get 3 meals from that.

I'm behind this year, only cherry tomatoes ripe, and a whole buncha egg plant. I've been snarfing Baba Ganouche (sp) on tortillas a whole lot lately.

• jclepine
    16 years ago

every day it is cherry tomatoes!!

In fact, if it isn't the tiny toes, it is raspberries for desert with yoghurt, every day...

The two tomatoes that came with the purchase of the Mortgage Lifter plant were great, but are gone. There are about five inch-size or larger babies and about 10 more tomato specks. The plant will have to come inside in a month or so, but that is okay. I'll put up white fly paper, just in case.

Tonight was fake chickie patties with colby cheese and halved cherry tomatoes...who knew!!

Next year should be exciting:
    We have half the wire fence up, so no neighborhood dog-poop.
    The bed will be raised.
    Veggies will be planted!!

Very exciting, I'll tell y'all what is for dinner then...

Crab cakes sound delicious!!! Oh, and there can't really be a wrong way to spell baba ganoush since it is a transliteration, so there :)

• digit
    16 years ago

Hey, I thought I was so smart to be having fresh sweet corn . . . so what variety is that, Cnetter?

Since I bought so much seed last year, and even tho' I considered its tiny size an embarrassment in 2006, the early corn is the bi-color, Fleet. Fortunately it grew a little taller with larger ears this season. Unfortunately (for bragging purposes ;o), it didn't quite mature in July. I guess I can't hardly come up with an earlier variety and something can be said for that! (Unless, Cnetter has a suggestion . . . :o) Fleet is also fine in the sweetness and tenderness categories.

Along with corn on the cob, there were green beans from the garden but since Dad prepared the potatoes, these were from the store. We've only had the ones from the garden with peas and new potatoes so far. Then Dad's meatloaf made with a little bit of cilantro and basil. Our cilantro has come and gone but he still has a plant or 2.

Had a couple of my cherry tomatoes on the way over to Dad's and he bragged about his mom's heirlooms, which are just now ripening in his tomato patch.

digitS'

• lnmca
    16 years ago

Wow!!!! I am sooo jealous reading about all of your fresh produce. However, it is very inspirational. I am over the moon because I found out that I will have room to build a few raised beds myself in a month or two. They will be devoted solely to vegetables (and whatever beneficial companion flowers). So now I must learn about all this stuff from you vegetable mavens. In the meantime, it is great hearing about all of your veggies. Godspeed!

• jclepine
    16 years ago

All I can say is: I am giddy!

For desert tonight and breakfast tomorrow, there will be crazy-plenty raspberries!

I don't like to go under the house often, but I did today and I plucked about six cups of raspberries.

A cup to the left neighbors, a cup to the right neighbors, and then way too many for us...oh, we'll eat 'em, never you worry...

giddy gal of the mountains

• stevation
    16 years ago

My nectarines are almost ready now! I'm excited. I made a great nectarine cobbler last year; only problem was I had to eat most of it myself. I think I've said it here before, but my wife and daughters have some strange issue with "cooked fruit!" Anyway, I'll be harvesting them later this week (after I get back from this conference I'm at in Denver -- nice city, you guys! Downtown has some character. I like it. Saw the Rockies whoop the Brewers tonight, too. A lot of home runs!).

Also, we are in the middle of a second wave of strawberries at our house, and I found a rare cluster of raspberries just ripened last weekend -- we harvested what we thought was the last of them in mid-July. It was a nice little bonus. Especially with Snelgrove's Canadian Vanilla ice cream. Mmmmm.

• digit
    16 years ago

Well, Steve, this was the 1st thing that came to mind with regards to, "I don't like cooked fruit!" - -

Peach Crisp Deluxe recipe

4 to 5 sliced, peeled fresh peaches
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
    1/2 cup slivered almonds or pecans
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 teaspoon cinnamon

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.

Spread peaches in 9-inch pie pan; sprinkle with lemon juice. Mix sugar, crumbs, nuts and cinnamon. Sprinkle over peaches; dot with butter. Bake 30 minutes. Serve warm or cold with ice cream or whipped cream.

This could overcome a "texture" issue, if that's the problem. Gosh, everybody just MUST love pie!

digitS'
    When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmmm, boy. ~ Jack Handy

• aliceg8
    16 years ago

Oh, yes "Pie Heaven". That is definately where I want to go! See you there Digit.

And thanks for the recipe.

Can't figure out what Stevation is complaining about "having to eat most of the cobbler himself". If only!!

• cnetter
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The earliest corn I grow is Illini Early Xtra-Sweet. It's short, with small ears, but ripens several weeks earlier than Kandy Corn, which is the most reliable variety I've grown. I'm trying a new one this year from Burpee called Ruby Queen. It'll be ripe soon and the ears look like they'll be really long.
    My kids go nuts over cooked fruit, frozen fruit, raw fruit, any kind of fruit. They really like crips, cobblers, smoothies, or just about anything made with fruit.

I've been making quite a few bar cookies with various fruit. I just use Betty Crocker's date bar recipe with oats, flour, brown sugar and such, and substitute whatever fruit I want for the dates. Rhubarb and gooseberries both work really well since they have alot of taste. Peaches work well too.
    I have some gooseberries thawed right now, and just need to get up the energy to make them.