SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amanda_slamm

What spices herbs staples do you always need on hand?

agmss15
6 months ago

I just helped my mom go through her overcrowded counter and pantry. We rebottled, relabeled, consolidated and quietly tossed a lot of herbs, spices, teas, mystery items etc…. My mom is 83, has lost a few inches and has limited mobility. The goal was to have the items she and her partner use the most often accessible and well labeled. We also had a funny conversation about what we each use most often… And how that changes from time to time.

Mom’s main wish was to relocate her loose leaf teas to the counter to make her mornings easier. Green, black, mints, lemon balm, ginger, turmeric etc… Other than salt, pepper, olive oil and other basics she wanted an electrolyte powder, beet powder, tarragon, her version of gomasio (which goes on toast and everything).

Her partner’s counter necessities were coconut oil, cinnamon, garlic powder, oregano.

At my home of late it is pepper, thyme, za’atar and also cinnamon. I also use a mix of tea and herbs daily.

My mom and her partner are both artists. Their home is very eccentric and crowded - any change causes much anxiety. So this took some mental prep for them to be okay with this.

My mom also tends to shop in bulk. As she cooks a bit less and her partner cooks more and uses more premade food - her staples are not rotating as quickly as before. And she is less in touch with what she has on hand. Next up is to face the freezers.

What do you need to have on hand and accessible all the time?

Comments (12)