SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis_ma

Staples you really DO want to eat every week?

artemis_ma
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Having a broken leg and having to rely on other people to bring me groceries (whether via the Peapod service, a Connecticut-based local farm service, or simply friends) -- what do you find yourself wanting to eat?

Yes, actually I do have Food Storage here that would last about three months, for any long term event but since groceries are still accessible out there, there are things I do want!

For me:

Number one, hands down, is EGGS. Yes, I know there are powdered eggs, and "liquid egg product" -- but both of those go right through me. I have no idea how they process those, but they stay in my system maybe half an hour or so, then they exit. Painfully.

Fresh veggies. Mainly green cooking types -- I went on a run through Brussels sprouts for the first month or so of disability. Also in the pile are Swiss chard, kale, cabbage. But there was loads of Brussels sprouts, which I pan fry or roast in the oven.

Frozen green veggies seem to be limp and lame, but I am fine with frozen spinach, frozen turnip greens, and frozen peas -- I have these.

Grapefruit. I don't know why, but along with my eggs, I seriously jones for half a grapefruit with my breakfast. I'm not taking any meds (once I quit the Percosett) so no medication conflicts now. PS, having a lemon/lime or two around is handy for cooking.

Protein. Seafood, poultry, meats. I'm not picky although I stay away from deli cuts. I do have plenty of these in my freezer, except for the chicken. Although I think I am about out of the seafood. I also have pressure-canned pork and pressure-canned beef a friend and I put up a year ago.

Healthy cooking/salad oils. Since no one I know was going to head past Costco, Trader Joe's or Whole Foods, I ended up ordering some avocado oil from Amazon. I still have plenty of EVOO that I am reasonably certain is truly EVOO and not fraudulent.

Garlic powder. I seriously hate buying food made in China, unless that's the only place something grows. I usually buy it at TJ's. I now have a small jar of grown-in-China garlic powder... sigh.

Mushrooms. I don't seem to care which kind. Bring 'em on!

What I don't have: Bread. I haven't bought or eaten bread for nearly three months (other than a trip out where I had a brunch with Eggs Benedict on Texas toast, or as an underlayment part of the three times I ordered pizza take-out). I don't miss it.

I also haven't had at home: Rice or quinoa. I like both and eat both. Thing is, my rice maker needs to move to the kitchen and sit on my range top for me to use it. Or else, outside, down a steep step -- I usually use my rice maker outdoors, but logistically I can't right now. Not enough outlets in my kitchen. (I cook quinoa in my rice maker. Works fabulous.) Another friend did take me to a sushi place once, and I paid for us to eat lots of rice and lots of raw fish. Anyhow, for starches these days I go potato. I snagged up a bundle of these the week before my accident. (Some people did bring me a few meals from their homes which did include rice.)

Haven't had much milk,either. One container of yogurt, and 1/2 pint of milk. Two quarts of buttermilk for cooking. I keep thinking I should pull out the small container of strawberry ice cream (from a local dairy that uses REAL strawberries) but I never get around to it. Milk I don't miss.

How about you guys? What are staple-type foods you'd really want to be eating every week? Yes, I have several #10 cans of dried lentil flakes, etc, and I'd eat and enjoy them -- but what do you WANT weekly?

Comments (22)