SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

Interviewing/ choosing a real estate agent

dedtired
6 months ago

I know this is a topic we have kicked around in the past. Here we go again.

I have to sell my mother’s house, which is a unique situation, at least I think so.

First, the house. It has location, location, location. Its in a highly desireable area with excellent schools. Its a short commute into Philadelphia. It has a very large piece of property for that area which could be developed. If someone wanted to renovate the house and not develop the property, they would have a lovely, private, quiet lot. It’s 3.5 acres and there is very little land available in the area. New houses are being shoe horned in everywhere.

The house is an mcm split level, about 4500 square feet. Its in poor condition although the foundation is quite sound and it has beautiful stonework that would be expensive to reproduce today. However it has an ancient kitchen and baths. Needs a roof. There is an abandoned swimming pool full of frogs. Two falling down sheds. So, all this is to say, it is not your average house. I feel like I have to find just the right agent to list it. Good chance it will be a knock down.

I have three candidates in mind. One is one of the top local agents. She seems to work with developers as well as high end ( but not all) clients. , a plus for her. She does have a ”team” which bothers me. I want her full attention.

Number two is a woman I have known since high school although we are not close friends. She works with her daughter and they have been very successful selling high end homes in the area. Plus for her is that I would feel very comfortable working with her. Looking at her past sales, I don’t see a lot of challenging properties, mostly huge gorgeous places.

Third is another fellow with loads of sales who seems to specialize in unusual and challenging properties. Im a bit concerned that he may be a bit slick, although Ive never actually met him.

So, didnt mean to be so long winded but what I am mostly wondering is what I should be asking each one when and if I meet with them. I don’t want to be steam rolled by someone. I want to be prepared. I want this person to be totally on my side, although I know every agent is out to earn money. I unfortunately, am a bit of a milquetoast.

What questions should I prepare in advance and be sure to ask each one?

Thanks!

Comments (45)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES