SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jojoco_gw

beginning a career as a real estate agent

jojoco
17 years ago

I took the NYS real estate licensing exam today and while I won't find out the results for a week, I feel very confident that I passed. So now I am starting to think about my next step. I've wanted to be in real estate for many years. I've always loved buying and selling homes and my dh and I have moved six times in the past 20 years (Although 3 of the homes were in the same town). I even spent several months writing re ads for Sotheby properties in Greenwich. (Built on a hill? I called it "rolling lawns" Crappy statues in your backyard--poof! "Sculpture Gardens"). I grew up and spent much of my adult life in Fairfield County, CT and have also lived for a short stint in Windermere, FL and now in upstate NY-Fingerlakes area.(We lived in this town for 3 years in the late 80's and I loved it so much that we decided to come back). We custom built our house in FL and in NY. I really like the building process and wonder if that isn't a niche I should pursue. Here is a little about my town. It is a town of beautiful OLD homes with charm galore. They also carry with them more than a bit of maintenence headaches (Our first home was a 1888 Queen Anne style). There are several carefully controlled brand new developments in the works in my town. My house was the first one in one of these. Because this is a town of old homes, the real estate agents generally do not have any experience with new home construction (ours has been in the business for 15 years and our home was her first new construction closing.) Does building two custom homes give me a right to head in this direction? And how would I go about finding a sponsoring broker? I feel like I should interview them to see if we are compatible. Please don't think I am putting the horse before the cart--I spent a great deal of time studying for that exam and am trying to be realistic about my chances for passing. I want to give that same attention to my potential career.

Thanks for all your insight.

Jo

Comments (12)