SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
no_green_thumb

Real Estate Question - Who owns the house?

no_green_thumb
9 years ago

My mother recently passed away and my son is purchasing her house. Not a problem. My siblings and I told him that the house needs to be in his name - as he and his "live in" are not married. While she is a horrible person and I wish she would just go away, nonetheless the main reason for the title to be in his name is that my mother would have wanted that.

He signed the papers a few weeks ago. All were signed by him. We are not working through a real estate agent. The live-in was there when he signed and she did ask if her name was going to be on the loan. My sister, my son and myself said no. All papers were submitted to the mortgage and title companies.

We are giving him a considerable amount of money. Because of that, we needed to sign something regarding this gift. It is the government wanting to know of this transaction. We did that last night - and her name was on the paper as one of the "applicants". I brought this up to my son and he said that because her parents were also giving them some money, that is the way they wanted it.

I almost walked out and told him the deal was off, but I so want to get this albatross off my neck and they have already started tearing down wallpaper, etc. I just don't want to have to put everything back together to list the house. I cannot tell anyone how betrayed I feel. This son was never like this before he took up with this girl.

But my question is this ---- his name is to appear on the title.
Both of their names will appear on the loan. Who owns the house?? Both of them? Is the name on the title just a formality? What happens if they split up? Right now, it isn't even about the money. But what would happen if they would split up? I realize the same thing could happen if they were married. I am just trashed over this and have no one else to ask - except maybe to call the lending institution where he is obtaining the loan. Or perhaps someone can tell me who to contact.

Thank you.

Comments (54)