SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
red_robin_gw

Intro and Real Estate question

Red_Robin
21 years ago

Hi all! I've been lurking for awhile, just happened to stumble across this forum on the list, popped in to check it out one night, and really enjoyed everyone's posts.

I was raised in the country, but 5 years ago moved to a small village outside one of the major cities here in upstate NY (little joke - there are no major cities up here). I am itchin' to get back to the sticks, and I'm developing a 5-year plan to work my way back. In the meantime, I've got been trying my hand at veggie gardening and canning, and I've got half a dozen ducks (with hopes of eggs soon) to keep me busy.

I bought my house as a bank repo a few years ago. It's what's termed as a 'mother-in-law's cottage' (2 bedroom, 1 bath, ranch style). I paid 28,000 for the place, and have since then put in a new furnace, a new roof, fenced in the backyard and done some minor landscaping. It still needs to be sided and have the bay window in the living room replaced - that scheduled for this spring. The interior is pretty utilitarian at this point, nothing pretty - the kitchen floor has a dip in it (floor joist maybe?) and needs new linoleum, ditto for the bathroom, along with a new shower surround and doors/curtain. The rest of the floors are hardwood, and could probably use some refinishing. The windows and exterior doors are original to the house (built in 1961).

OK, whew, so now here's the real estate question - if I'm working to save up for a new place ( I can't go totally mortgage-free, but I at least want to be somewhere I can't look out my kitchen window and see my neighbor looking out her kitchen window back at me LOL) how much money should I invest into the place I'm at now? What should I have done/replaced while I'm there to make it more attractive to buyers, but not drain my bank account?

I appreciate any help - even if it's to tell me I'm crazy and it'll never work.... : )

Comments (8)

Sponsored