SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jadams1107

Help!!!! Refinishing wood floors!

Julie Adams
6 months ago

We’re in a renovation that won’t end!!! Next step was to refinish all our floors. The floor company put several samples down to test. We chose one which was a mix of 2 colors. Even went back the next day to confirm I still liked the sample we chose. But, now that the stain is applied throughout the house, it looks much lighter than the sample. I have pictures of the sample we chose so we can compare plus my decorator was with me when we chose the sample and agree the floors look nothing like the sample. Plus, it’s not evenly applied in certain areas/rooms. The company has offered to reapply the same stain color on top of the current stain in one area as well as a new color on top of the current stain in another area to see if we can achieve our desired color. But, I am concerned about applying a stain on top of a stain. Even the floor guy said he’s never done that but has heard of others doing it. I’ve read this can cause an issue with the final coats peeling. We had planned to use a water based coat to finish. Not sure if that matters. We discussed tinting the finished coat, but the floor company discouraged that saying he didn’t think it would get the color dark enough. Can anyone please advise if we should try to stain on top of a stain? Or should I demand they resand the entire home and start again? I’m willing to try adding a stain on top of the stain but not if it’s going to cause problems down the road. Please help! We have to extend our rental which is a whole other nightmare. TIA!!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor