SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_180893700

Advice on best way to fix shower grout cracks?

Kate C
8 months ago

Hello! I've noticed a crack/gap in the shower floor grout -- pictures are attached.

Each of the floor tiles is about 2.25 inches long and the grout is about 0.25 centimeter wide. From what I can assess, the gap is contained to what is shown in the picture and appears to go down to the depth of the tile.

I'm wondering if it's OK to scrape out this damaged part and re-grout & seal myself?

Or if this is a more serious issue where I should have a professional look at it and assess if there is any underlying damage and/or mold issues.

It is a new build town house about a year and a half old so it's a little surprising (at least to me) that it's an issue already. Also -- in case this makes a difference -- I had a home inspection done in March for peace of mind and they found that "Shower grout absorbs moisture when water comes in contact, recommend sealing shower grout". I hadn't gotten around to fixing that yet unfortunately :(

I'd be super appreciative of any opinions and/or things to be aware of! Thank you!

Comments (5)