SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikemarkowitz66

Please please please help me find a rug

Mike M.
9 months ago
last modified: 9 months ago

We just got this great modern couch. Comfy, well made and we love how it looks and fits in our apartment living room. I'm a bit stymied, though, about how to pair it with a rug. From afar, it reads as solid gray, but the weave in the upholstery is prominent enough to look like a pattern as I approach. There is gray, black, white, a smidge of tan and a hint of silver in the threads, but in most light, the black and white stand out to me, giving the couch a kind of a cool overall tone.
Ideally I would want a rug with a pattern, but I'm having trouble with colors and designs because of the characteristics I just described. Any ideas about how to think this through? It's a modern couch so I'm fine with an all-neutral look. Then again, contrast is nice, too. I'm partial to modern styles but at the same time I'm open to the modern-plus-traditional mix that I see from time to time (NO PERSIAN RUGS, though. I want something that doesn't look like a magic carpet.). Ugh! I need advice!
(If you are going to suggest a specific rug, wool is nice than synthetic to me and the budget is sub-$1,500. Note that we plan to paint -- something similar but with grayer undertones -- and we're changing the floors to something less yellow and ugly; they're damaged outside of camera range.) Thank you!

Comments (23)